Posted On:
    2/14/2013 9:22pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
    No worries!

I'm not trying to avoid fat and cholesterol so much as moderate my intake. I just don't want to clog my arteries with stuff I hear about on commercials that I don't understand :P
    This is called the lipid hypothesis. That is the idea that eating fat and cholesterol--particularly saturated fats and animal fats--will cause heart disease and so on. I am not convinced by the evidence for it.

The concern with animal fats (like from eggs and meat) is more whether they are pastured, and therefore have reasonable ratios of omega-3 to omega-6 (and therefore contributing to systemic inflammation), than whether you ingest cholesterol and fat per se. If you're eating quality food in reasonable amounts and you don't have silly amounts of fat on your body, I wouldn't worry about animal fats causing your arteries to clog. Find some farm eggs from chickens that eat food and eat the whole thing.
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/14/2013 9:44pm

Style: grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree, eat the whole damn egg you wasteful bastard.

However, those liberal elitist, hippy-agenda propaganda films really lay on the "meat causes cancer" thing nice and thick. I'm a little convinced that tons of meat is really bad. That being said, I ate about 4lbs of pork last weekend.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    2/14/2013 10:28pm

supporting member
     Style: being less stupid

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Re: Squat Machine

3 whole eggs, coming right up!

That said, damn that salad business to hell!! I have tried multiple times to enjoy salads, I can't do it. I'm lucky if I can stomach them at all.
    Start a training log!

Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    i really think that those who can't get their head around the bowing thing (because their angry sky daddy will punish them) don't deserve judo. life is full of choices, and if your bronze age superstitions are holding you back, so be it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/14/2013 10:33pm

Style: grappling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What about roasted vegetables instead of salads? I'm saying in addition to the meat btw. Just trying to replace all that bread.

Posted On:
    2/14/2013 10:43pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
    3 whole eggs, coming right up!

That said, damn that salad business to hell!! I have tried multiple times to enjoy salads, I can't do it. I'm lucky if I can stomach them at all.
    I found that using quality greens, not stale supermarket iceberg lettuce, helps a lot.

Also: hardboiled eggs, nuts, goat cheese, and avocado, plus meat.
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

Middleweight

Posted On:
    2/14/2013 10:57pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!

I'll have to try those ideas.

Since we're trying to eliminate bread, or at least lower the amount, would say a dish of white rice, black beans, and chicken be a decent sub? Or is that still the wrong type of carbs?

Edit: Are veggies complex carbs?
    Last edited by itwasntme; 2/14/2013 11:06pm at .
    Start a training log!

i really think that those who can't get their head around the bowing thing (because their angry sky daddy will punish them) don't deserve judo. life is full of choices, and if your bronze age superstitions are holding you back, so be it.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    2/15/2013 4:55pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!

I thought I'd give an update that we may have found a winner. I picked up some "50/50 Mix" and goat cheese crumbles from the grocery store.

Salad consisted of chicken (onion and garlic powder), salad mix, and goat cheese. Overall I enjoyed it, so thanks for the hint, 1point2. I was gonna post a pic to prove your advice was not going unused, but I was too goddamn hungry after starting squats yesterday (today). The goat cheese became a bit overwhelming, but I'm sure it's an acquired taste.
    Start a training log!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/16/2013 5:52pm

Style: Injured

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey man might I suggest Starting Strength instead of Stronglifts?

The reason being Stronglifts (5x5) has more volume (total reps) than SS (3x5).

Both are beginner programs and both are good but for your goals I would suggest SS.

However...

You have to accept that you will inevitably gain some mass.

I'd say don't worry about mass, you're not concerned about weight classes anyway since you don't compete just eat well and lift 3 times a week.

Stronglifts just stalls quicker, you have to deload and work your way back up to the weight you stalled at, so you'll be sacrificing time you could be using to get stronger for more volume, which results in more mass.

It's good if you want to look good naked. But if you're all about performance...

That's my advice.

Full Disclosure:

I'm no pro. My stats are (5 reps):

Squat 110kg
    Deadlift 130kg
    Press 50kg
    Bench Press 70kg

I weigh 85kg.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/16/2013 6:04pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also, if you can afford it, invest into a trainer to teach you how to do the lifts (especially the squat and the clean). It's a huge time saver.

If you can't, get Mark Rippetoe's book: Starting Strength Basic Barbell Training 3rd Edition.

It goes into great detail explaining the lifts but it's a bit long-winded.

It'll make you proper strong and smart, nobody is ever going to be able to bullshit you again, you know what I'm talking about: The "Fitness Buzz", the "experts", the "washboard abs", the "functional exercises", the "strong core", the "v-taper".

The Abtronic2012.

The FatCombobulatorRX30.

The LipidProfileElectrificatorM2.

You know what I mean, nobody is going to be able to bullshit you ever again.

Reps, sets, exercises, you will understand what to do and why do it, and the precise mechanics involved.

If you just read the book.

But like I said...

Bit long winded.

Kind of like this post.

Best of luck.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/16/2013 6:14pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There should be a website like Bullshido dedicated to exposing fraudulent fitness establishments and gurus.

God knows it would put a LOT of motherfuckers out of business.

But I don't want to **** up your thread with my rants.

Although looking back, I might have already done that.

Sorry bro.
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 678 LastLast