Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 5678 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/13/2013 8:58pm

Style: grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here's what I want you to do. Sit down for a moment, think about what your fitness and martial arts goals are. List them here along with your diet and intended weekly workout routine. We will berate you from there. Fear not, though, the verbal abuse is a sign of imminent manhood. As long as you continue to lift weights.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    2/13/2013 11:49pm

supporting member
     Style: being less stupid

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Re: Squat Machine

I will be repeating myself somewhat here, but it's all in the name of getting a clear, focus on what my point(s) was since I was asked to do so.

Goals:

1) Weight training for Judo and BJJ, both will be Gi and No Gi.
    2) I want to compete (eventually) in some form of grappling or MMA event.
    3) Finish getting rid of my belly and not get fat again.

Restrictions:

1) Tue and Thur are the only days I can do squats.
    2) Due to time constraints, it would be best if I had a full body routine.
    3) I need to try and keep my workouts within Mon through Fri due to my schedule.

Workout Routine:

-Currently running a little over 3 miles, 3 days a week. With the warmup and cooldown included, the total miles are closer to 4.

-I plan to start squats next Tue.

-Once my shoulder is cleared by the doctor, I plan to add Bench Press/Dumbbell Press, Shoulder Press, and Bent Over Rows to my Squat days.

-Once I get used to squatting, I might add another day. It really just depends on how my body reacts to my routine mixed with MA.

-I definitely want to hit my upper body twice a week at least if my schedule permits. I'm not sure I should be as worried about how often I'm able to lift as doing MA should help strengthen me where I need it for that particular art. (right?)

Diet:

Breakfast:
    2 egg whites
    1 egg
    2 piece wheat bread

On-the-go breakfast:
    20g protein bar
    1 cup greek yogurt

Lunch:
    Sandwich on wheat
    Probably at least 2 servings of lunch meat, chicken or turkey (it's deli meat so I have to estimate servings)
    1 piece cheese

Post Workout:
    Zero Impact meal bar 30g protein and around 20 or 30g carbs

Dinner (at work):
    Grilled chicken sandwich on wheat

Dinner (elsewhere):
    Depends; usually lean meat (chicken or fish) and veggie (broccoli or corn usually, sometimes chicken with spinach)

Snack (at work):
    2 chicken tenders, I know it sucks but it usually keeps me below my calorie count (around 1800) and still provides me around 18g protein and few simple carbs and fat grams

Snack (elsewhere):
    1 cup greek yogurt

Drinks:
    Usually water, sometimes milk or a little half sweet tea. Coffee, usually black and only in the mornings.

Notes:
    -I'm usually up late, so I'm not eating my snack right before bed.
    -Sometimes I cheat and eat a pack of noodles at some point through the day, again I usually stay below my calorie goal and try to only do this on a workout day or if I've been able to stay active in other ways.
    Start a training log!

Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    i really think that those who can't get their head around the bowing thing (because their angry sky daddy will punish them) don't deserve judo. life is full of choices, and if your bronze age superstitions are holding you back, so be it.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/14/2013 1:02am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you could get another day of lifting in there it would be good, as you could have an A and B day. Because, you know, you forgot deadlifts.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    2/14/2013 1:35am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

After looking over StrongLifts and the advice given to me, I may switch another running day to lifts, well, once I get used to squats and deadlifts (which I am not forgetting!!)

This A and B day, you mean squat one day (A day) then squat and deadlifts (B day)? That seems to be what StrongLifts goes by, but I don't know as I only just signed up for the newsletter and haven't looked at any specifics.
    Start a training log!

i really think that those who can't get their head around the bowing thing (because their angry sky daddy will punish them) don't deserve judo. life is full of choices, and if your bronze age superstitions are holding you back, so be it.

Posted On:
    2/14/2013 5:02pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So you want to lose weight, get stronger, and rehab for grappling. Those are your goals.

You appear to misunderstand the StrongLifts program. It has squats every day. You should actually read the StrongLifts material. Or buy the Starting Strength book and read it. Twice. And you should start squatting yesterday. Bring a notebook and record what you do.

Squats, deadlifts, eventually bench and overhead press, power cleans and snatches, dips and pull-ups and rows are all good choices for getting stronger. Lifting plus running plus diet is a great choice for leaning out. I would eat the whole egg, not just the whites, and ditch the fried chicken tenders. Maybe grill some chicken and brown-bag it.

I have not found that judo makes me much stronger. Judo makes me better at judo. Lifting makes me stronger.

I am not sure why you want to hit your upper body twice a week. Why not your lower body? Why not your whole body? If looking like a bodybuilder is a goal, you should be clear with yourself about it.
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

Middleweight

Posted On:
    2/14/2013 5:25pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Quote Originally Posted by 1point2 View Post
    So you want to lose weight, get stronger, and rehab for grappling. Those are your goals.

You appear to misunderstand the StrongLifts program. It has squats every day. You should actually read the StrongLifts material. Or buy the Starting Strength book and read it. Twice. And you should start squatting yesterday. Bring a notebook and record what you do.

Squats, deadlifts, eventually bench and overhead press, power cleans and snatches, dips and pull-ups and rows are all good choices for getting stronger. Lifting plus running plus diet is a great choice for leaning out. I would eat the whole egg, not just the whites, and ditch the fried chicken tenders. Maybe grill some chicken and brown-bag it.

I have not found that judo makes me much stronger. Judo makes me better at judo. Lifting makes me stronger.

I am not sure why you want to hit your upper body twice a week. Why not your lower body? Why not your whole body? If looking like a bodybuilder is a goal, you should be clear with yourself about it.
    It appears I may have been somewhat unclear. I do realise StrongLifts includes squats every day you workout. I started reading the material this morning, but I had already gathered that just from looking at the website. I also intend to bring pen and paper with me to the gym and record my progress.

As far as eating the whole egg, may I ask why? I was trying to avoid too much fat and cholesterol and that only deprives me of like 1g of protein per yolk, but I'm definitely no expert on diet/nutrition.

I also fully intend to work my whole body twice a week (as soon as I'm able to do upper body again). I should have probably left that bit about doing upper twice a week out as it is obviously confusing to others, I just wanted it clear that I wanted to hit the upper body as much as the rest in case I was offered workouts that didn't hit the whole body.

I appreciate all of your advice (along with others) and will implement it asap.
    Start a training log!

Posted On:
    2/14/2013 5:36pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sorry for assuming you didn't understand SL. My mistake. You seem to be on the right track.

Why do you want to avoid eating fat and cholesterol?
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

Middleweight

Posted On:
    2/14/2013 5:58pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

No worries!

I'm not trying to avoid fat and cholesterol so much as moderate my intake. I just don't want to clog my arteries with stuff I hear about on commercials that I don't understand :P
    Start a training log!

Certified Personal Trainer and Drinker of Coffee

Posted On:
    2/14/2013 8:30pm

supporting member
     Style: SAMBO/BJJ/Judo and others

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am going to see if I can get to this on my flight tonight. Will have to look at it in detail after homework.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/14/2013 8:48pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fat is awesome. Don't you talk I'll of fat.

There's a metric **** ton of advice on diet out there. There's also a lot of bro science as well. So here's mine: Wherever you can, put in some fruits and veggies. You eating 2 sandwiches a day, yes? Why not salads? My advice will be pretty much the same for all people, though. And you said you're not trying to get huge, so don't focus too much on protein or calories and focus on eating quality, healthy food.
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 5678 LastLast