Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123 4567 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/13/2013 11:24am

Style: grappling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
    My goal isn't to get huge, I just want to do a decent amount of reps at decent weight. It's kinda hard to explain. I want to get stronger, not bigger; I want a strong core for when I start grappling/throwing again.
    I don't know how many times it needs to be said, but holy **** lifting does not make you big. Eating makes you big. If you don't want to get huge, don't eat to get huge. Do strong lifts, or Rippitoes starting strength routines, anything that's low reps high weight. Actually, scratch that. You should be starting low reps, low weight if you don't have experience squatting. Also, don't be a *****, do more lifts, not just squats.

Posted On:
    2/13/2013 11:32am

Style: being less stupid

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Re: Squat Machine

Quote Originally Posted by legomepanda View Post
    I don't know how many times it needs to be said, but holy **** lifting does not make you big. Eating makes you big. If you don't want to get huge, don't eat to get huge. Do strong lifts, or Rippitoes starting strength routines, anything that's low reps high weight. Actually, scratch that. You should be starting low reps, low weight if you don't have experience squatting. Also, don't be a *****, do more lifts, not just squats.
    This is quite possibly the dumbest question I'll ever ask, but are there any formulae/references for knowing how many calories would be a good number to achieve this goal without knowing my lean body mass?
    Start a training log!

Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    i really think that those who can't get their head around the bowing thing (because their angry sky daddy will punish them) don't deserve judo. life is full of choices, and if your bronze age superstitions are holding you back, so be it.

Posted On:
    2/13/2013 12:40pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Addendum: I said I don't want to "get big" and then mentioned getting mass gainer; I just try to make sure I get a good amount of carbs in post-workout. The rest of the day I try to keep the carb content lower with the protein content higher.
    Start a training log!

i really think that those who can't get their head around the bowing thing (because their angry sky daddy will punish them) don't deserve judo. life is full of choices, and if your bronze age superstitions are holding you back, so be it.

Posted On:
    2/13/2013 1:06pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Addendum: I said I don't want to "get big" and then mentioned getting mass gainer; I just try to make sure I get a good amount of carbs in post-workout. The rest of the day I try to keep the carb content lower with the protein content higher.

Yes, then you (correctly) pointed out that they are not usually high in carbs.
    You are all over the place.
    Sit down stfu and go figure out exactly what you want to do and why ffs.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/13/2013 1:33pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is quite possibly the dumbest question I'll ever ask, but are there any formulae/references for knowing how many calories would be a good number to achieve this goal without knowing my lean body mass?
    I think the internet is much better equipped to answer that than me. But, **** it, I'll take a stab. 1900. 1900 calories.

Posted On:
    2/13/2013 3:04pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Quote Originally Posted by ChenPengFi View Post
    Yes, then you (correctly) pointed out that they are not usually high in carbs.
    You are all over the place.
    Sit down stfu and go figure out exactly what you want to do and why ffs.
    My bad, I'm all giddy with the countdown to training drawing near.

My goals are simply a stronger core for Judo/BJJ; I think I cleared that up recently, my apologies if I didn't.

As for my recent mention of mass gainers, those are different from regular protein shakes in that they actually have a metric fuckton of carbs AND protein. However, after reviewing cost and content of a few bigger name brands, I think I will stick to the meal replacement bar pictured earlier in this thread.
    Start a training log!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/13/2013 3:08pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why don't you just eat people food and take a vitamin?

Posted On:
    2/13/2013 3:43pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Blech!!

But seriously, I do. The only time I eat non-people food is directly after a workout, and if my schedule wasn't so tight I would make a meal then as well.
    Start a training log!

Posted On:
    2/13/2013 5:53pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A twenty-rep bodyweight squat is a fine medium-term goal. However, I agree with CoffeeFan that a 5x5 or 3x5 routine is best for you right now. Get your 3x5 squat to well above bodyweight, then test your bodyweight reps to see if you can hit twenty. A twenty-rep goal doesn't mean you have to do twenty rep sets to achieve it.

I wouldn't forget the deadlifts while you're at it. Check out Starting Strength.

And I highly recommend a barbell. Smith machines are not the same.
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

Posted On:
    2/13/2013 7:49pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Quote Originally Posted by 1point2 View Post
    A twenty-rep bodyweight squat is a fine medium-term goal. However, I agree with CoffeeFan that a 5x5 or 3x5 routine is best for you right now. Get your 3x5 squat to well above bodyweight, then test your bodyweight reps to see if you can hit twenty. A twenty-rep goal doesn't mean you have to do twenty rep sets to achieve it.

I wouldn't forget the deadlifts while you're at it. Check out Starting Strength.

And I highly recommend a barbell. Smith machines are not the same.
    I'll get started on it.

Thanks for all the feedback.
    Start a training log!

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123 4567 ... LastLast