Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    2/09/2013 5:55am

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Hiding in the jungle...how much do glasses compromise you?

Hey folks, long time no post. I recently moved to the Federated States of Micronesia and have been enjoying getting out into the jungle. According to a very good friend of mine who'd lived through the Vietnam War, he tells me that based on my pictures (see one below...if you need to see more pictures of the environment, please let me know as I can supply a lot) my environment is extremely similar to how jungle Vietnam used to be during the war.

Out of historical interest, I'd like to experiment with camoflauge and hiding in this environment. On occasion people do come out to the jungle who are familiar with the land so there'd be some opportunity to practice hiding. It's such a beautiful environment. I attended the most recent Camp Skeletor where some information on concealment was covered, and I've done some independent reading on the subject, but have no military experience or practical experience with fieldcraft.

The thing is, I wear glasses. Classic looking, with a large black frame. I can take them off of course, but then I can't see details so well.

If I get some camo BDUs and a boonie hat, apply face paint, and apply garnishes, how much is my ability to hide compromised by wearing glasses?

Would it be viable to attempt to construct a sniper's veil using some mosquito netting and wear that over my glasses?

What do people who really have to hide for their job do if they wear glasses?

Thanks for your input!
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Th...%28attorney%29

Posted On:
    2/09/2013 6:09am

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Get the anti glare lenses, they don't reflect as much light. I'm not talking from a combat view point, but from a camera viewpoint which should have similar properties (that the flash and glare off the glasses doesn't bounce back to the camera lens). They cost a decent amount, I've been offered to get the special film on mine for almost the amount I paid for my glasses (I'm a cheap prick).

Not sure of combat applicability but the idea is sound, glasses reflect less light with the film on, so in the jungle light would less likely bounce off and give away your position.
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.

Extraordinarily Ordinary

Posted On:
    2/09/2013 2:12pm

supporting member
     Style: TKD, CMA & American Kenpo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by doofaloofa View Post
    IMHO the main problem with specks is the reflection of light off them, not such a big deal under a heavy canopy
    Heavy canopy = absence of significant light to be reflected. Heavy canopy along with the brim of a BDU or Boonie hat = almost no light.

Posted On:
    2/09/2013 2:49pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I grew up in that stuff.
    I can't imagine glasses making a **** of difference for the most part.
    Entire vehicles can disappear in there.
    They only caveat might be at night, if they get caught by a beam of light.

I'd bet rainy season would make the glasses more of a pain in the ass than they are worth.
    They'll be covered in mud and water specks at all times.
    Of course everything! is wet and reflective at that point; so even if you're blinded by your spotted and muddy glasses, at least no one can see the glare from them.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    2/09/2013 7:43pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Serious concealment should incorporate flora from the immediate area. If you have it on your head, as you should, it will break up the outline and any reflection from the glasses.

A boonie serves as a good base for that. You can add some burlap shreds as well. Or you can go with a full blown veil.

Posted On:
    2/09/2013 9:38pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do contact lenses work?

...is THE PENETRATOR

Posted On:
    2/10/2013 5:08am

supporting member
     Style: German longsword, .45 ACP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    Do contact lenses work?
    I thought about it. Then I imagined sweating and possibly having facepaint run into my eyeballs while wearing them.
    “nobody shoots anybody in the face unless you’re a hit man or a video gamer.” - Jack Thompson
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Th...%28attorney%29

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/12/2013 11:26am

Style: Traditional Mix

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My preference has been the non-glare lenes mounted in the lightweight high impact plastic frames. The ones I wear are fine lines, not the heavy Birth Control Glasses that used to be issued. Several manufacturers make them now that are very flexible and resistant to breakage in most rough and tumble situations. As previously posted, any insect veil or Ghilly wear will not only break up outline, but prevent any errant glare from the specs.

Posted On:
    3/01/2013 10:30pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can't speak directly to jungle experience, however I have worn glasses for nigh on 30 years. I studied with some ninjutsu guys in my early 20s and when we practiced stealth it was NEVER my glasses that marked my position. My forehead was actually more of a giveaway under any conditions we were able to test. Apparently the receding hairline is shiny. :(