Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/28/2004 4:10pm

Style: BJJ, No-Gi, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

aerobic vs. anaerobic re: MA

Kind of related to the "Improving Cardio" thread:

I'm starting to feel that anaerobic cardio conditioning is way more important than aerobic as far as fighting goes, but does that mean that aerobic training should be entirely ignored? If not, why?

Any opinions on this?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/28/2004 4:23pm

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Think about Bob Sapp.

Truthfully though, I think aerobic conditioning is very important. I don't think you have to be a track star, but I do think you should go out and do some running. You'll notice a difference when you're fighting.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    4/28/2004 4:31pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/MMA/JKDC

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Fighting has more to do with recovery time, and short intense bursts. The problem is your body takes more time to recover, where a good anaerobicly trained person's body will recover faster while you are still gasping for air. ANY short intense burst will have you fighting for air, cause thats how the system replenishes itself. Spar, wrestle, run sprints. REPEAT many times over.

Ready are you? What know you of ready?

Posted On:
    4/28/2004 4:32pm

supporting member
     Style: EBMAS WT(& Prenatal Yoga)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    'Aerobic' training as such can almost be completely discarded.

You want cardio? Clean and press 100 lbs as many times as you can in 3 minutes and tell me what your heart is doing. . .
    If a `religion' is defined to be a system of ideas that contains unprovable statements, then Godel taught us that mathematics is not only a religion, it is the only religion that can prove itself to be one. -- John Barrow

Talk to TBK's boyfriend:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/28/2004 6:22pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I sprint 2-3 days a week convering the anaerobic aspect and I throw in a long distance run once a week for maintaining a decent base of aerobic conditioning. They are both important. They complement each other well.

Ippatsu. running IS anaerobic . Jogging is aerobic.. Do you understand the difference between the 2? because lechuza never said anything about discarding running.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/28/2004 9:42pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ugh... i hate running. i feel like i'm too heavy for my own knees.

i do recumbent exercise bike and try to keep my heart rate around 149 BPM for 30 min or so, but i've been getting more into doing combos on the heavy bag for about as long as i can then doing push ups, then shrimping across the floor then more combos on the bag etc.--trying to get my heart and lungs going.

Like 'Little Idea' said, i was really into getting gassed doing power cleans at multiple sets of 8...until someone hinted that power cleans aren't the type of exercise you want to do until fialure, but it is a worhtwhile exercise if done carefully.

Yeah, i guess you need both, but i fucking hate jogging/running.

Ready are you? What know you of ready?

Posted On:
    4/28/2004 10:26pm

supporting member
     Style: EBMAS WT(& Prenatal Yoga)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Originally posted by lechuza
    until someone hinted that power cleans aren't the type of exercise you want to do until failure
    You should be fine with 100 lbs. for 'cardio' day, worse case just throw the weight.

Find a weight where you can at least do a set of 20 from the floor to overhead.

Nothing gets your heart pounding faster.
    If a `religion' is defined to be a system of ideas that contains unprovable statements, then Godel taught us that mathematics is not only a religion, it is the only religion that can prove itself to be one. -- John Barrow

Talk to TBK's boyfriend:

Posted On:
    4/28/2004 10:40pm

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Striking is more anaerobic.

Grappling is more aerobic, simply because a good grappler can relax and catch his breath much more often.

Little Idea is cleaning and jerking the correct, olympic style. On top of that, some of my best anaerobic training was in Wing Chun punching drills... ugh. You won't build up big guns doing 30 minutes of chain punching or Tan Da, but you will be one wiry bastard who can punch non stop forever without gassing.

pwning ninjas since 2004

Posted On:
    4/28/2004 10:42pm

supporting member
     Style: Street Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Someone already posted a very good, scientific, and useful article on specific cardio training for fights on another thread. I think it was about either Evander Holyfield or George Foreman. I'll see if I can find it.

The point of it though, was that if you fight 2 minute intervals, you need to train cardio with similar intensity for 2 minute intervals to condition your heart and lungs to this type of exercise.
    Deluxe247 tells it like it is:

you ninja fags just got owned in a bad way. this thread should go to the classics and mega thread forum due to the sheer size of taebo_master and gajusceaser's penis. (with which they just smacked across these ninja's faces)

This Classic Thread - http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9653&perpage=15&pagenum ber=14

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/28/2004 11:01pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    thnx for the feedback, guys...
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast