Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/08/2013 10:06pm

Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!

What I saw and heard at the old dojang

I know this has been discussed before and tell the truth, I just needed to vent.

In the past I used to study Hapkido, I made it to about mid level and then life happened. You know the story, got a house, dog and an occasional girlfriend so I stopped going. The guys in the dojang were pretty cool so I kept in touch occasionally.

Fast forward to today, I decided to drop by and say hi. One of the guys knew I just started taking bjj, which with my humpback (yes you read that right) I found it to be easier on me with the added bonus of being nearer to my house. Thank you JNP for the help long ago, it took awhile but I did listen to your advice. Ok back to the point, so I walked in as class was ending, waited, and said my hellos and then the first thing I asked was this.
    "Ok, since bjj is all ground how do you deal with multiple attackers? The last thing you want to go is to the ground"
    /sigh, I couldn't believe it. I gave them my standard answer which is to get the **** out of there before anything happens. I told them my personal experience and I kid you not the "on the battlefield" got brought up. I'll pause now for clean up.

I really don't understand this fascination. I guess a fucking Hurticane (copyright owned by Ameri-do-te) would be great for them. I have only encounter this fucking multiple thing one time and that was when I was in eighth grade. When it happened I couldn't get the **** out so I took one down, put my back to the floor and pulled the leader into guard (only I didn't know what I was doing then, self preservation is an amazing thing) and let his buddies beat him while they try to get to me. It worked, but in all my years and getting into fights it happened once.

On a plus note a couple of them seemed interested into rolling as well which is a good thing, if anything they would see what I gone through. Also, they are genuinely curious about it, even the instructor which I think is pretty cool. My only problem is that as a one stripe white belt I don't know **** all, so even with light rolling I hope a couple of them don't think I am fair representation of skill level.

I was amazed to see no water bottles and everyone looking as fresh as the morning sun with not a bead of sweat. After visiting Machado's school in Farmers Branch (if I only had the money lol) and going to where I am at now, I am convinced that if you are at a place where no one is sweating you are doing it wrong. In the three months of bjj, I have dropped ten pounds and most importantly some inches. I know how their class is ran, 10-20 minutes of stretching and the rest is self defense with an occasional sparring session. There is a night dedicated to it but it happens at the main dojang and it's an hour of nothing but sparring. To be honest there are kids mixed in the same class as adults so I can understand why sparring is on a different night, it is just after getting used to my experience it is a shock to see, that's all.

I can't convince any of them that the whole multiple attacker thinking is just fantasy for the most part, just wish they would get out of the whole ground is bad. It saved my ass before I met my best friend, who incidentally was the one pulling the others off of me.

Sorry for the ;tldr but I had to vent a little. I know, I know jackshit about bjj right now but that is why I am going and also I enjoy the hell out of it. To the KMA guys, don't get me wrong, I have nothing against Hapkido I really enjoyed it when I was doing it but it was mostly cause of the guys there. I also know I probably fucked up in that one fight but I was in eighth grade and martial arts wasn't even in the forethought of my mind.

Posted On:
    2/09/2013 9:34am

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Meh, a one stripe white is going to slap his dick on the forehead of a ne'ergrappler. When I had about 3 months I rolled with a couple of guys YouTube crazy and owned them. There's a reason why it takes so long to progress in BJJ. Did you make mention you were a one stripe white? Cause owning punks after you tell them you are still a nobody in the grappling hierarchy is a good way to show that it is effective.
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/09/2013 10:39am

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh yeah they know I'm a noob, brah. I even told them that during rolling my goal is not to sub but to motherfucking survive and learn. I even told them the next least experienced person than me is a one year white that maybe is getting close to blue.

What is funny, when my best friend found out I was in bjj he brought up the same arguments yet he has not once have done any MA. I expect it from him but not the others, don't know why that is.

Posted On:
    2/09/2013 5:21pm

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    People like the fantasy land they've created.
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/10/2013 12:11am

Hell yeah! Hell no!

What I saw and heard at the old dojang

Quote Originally Posted by battlefields View Post
    People like the fantasy land they've created.
    I guess so, I prefer my Fantasyland to stay at the Happiest Place on Earth.

What is funny is my best friend ask me to show him one thing that I kinda have learned so far. I got down to show him all the hip work and twisting to shrimp out while keeping tight (which I suck so bad at right now but working on it). He jumped on top and punched me and said "What are you going to do now", I grabbed an arm , did the sweep for an omoplata and heavy leg him down and just maintained side control. I didn't want to complete the omoplata and accidentally hurt him. He's my buddy. It happened so fast (by his standards not mine or when I tried it in rolling lol) that he didn't say anything for awhile.

After that he shut the hell up about all that ground **** and is now looking for a bjj place that he can go to when he can afford it.