Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    2/06/2013 10:33pm

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

BJJ or BJJ AND S&C?

So y'all have seen my "lose 15kg" thread that has become a "lose 8kg" thread. In it you'll notice this:

I train a shitload and have a decent schedule for training. Monday to Saturday, I train at least an hour a night, most of the time 2 and sometimes 3. In order to let the BJJ information sink in, I am foregoing my usual MMA training on Tuesday and Thursday to do strength and conditioning with kettlebells. On these days I will run to and from the gym, as they are only 45 minute sessions. Work on my cardio.
    Read more at http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...qvHp6wJK3cZ.99
    On Tuesday, yes, the day that I put that thread up, I did the kettlebell class and tore a muscle ever so slightly. Apparently my hip flexors are really tight, which is either the reason or a contributor to this particular injury. I DON'T WANT ADVICE ON A PLAN TO STRETCH AND GAIN FLEXIBILITY, as I already have a PT and a physio on the case. It's a small tear and will heal by next week, I'm not too concerned, other than the fact I am now off the mat for a few days, which brings me to my question.

The question that has been playing on me a bit is should I be training Gi BJJ only in preparation for the Gi BJJ Comp, foregoing Strength and Conditioning? I'm in two minds about this and I'll give you my thoughts:

BENEFITS:

1. TRAIN ONLY GI BJJ 5 OR 6 DAYS A WEEK- drill known techniques, learn new techniques, free- roll for Gi BJJ specific cardio, gain sensitivity in technique application.

2. TRAIN KBX (KETTLEBELLS) 2 DAYS (+1 cross over), OTHER DAYS JITS- Give time between classes to let new techniques sink in, get stronger.

CONS:

1. Information overload.

2. Injury from performing new techniques not related to jits, not learning new techniques.

I am not upping my training, I train most days of the week normally. Keep that in consideration when your first thought is "you're doing too much too quickly". If you can support that I am doing too much, proof of your reasoning is required.

What would you do?

Please take in psychological, physiological and physical considerations when replying.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Machette View Post
    Ups to Battlefields for dropping the sage wisdom.

You are like a Pimp Yoda.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tranquil Suit View Post
    Battlefields... You're more of a man than I am.
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.

Posted On:
    2/06/2013 10:53pm

Style: MMA, Yoga

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Personally I'd train as many hours of BJJ as possible. At the low levels in martial arts sports specific "mat" time is everything. I do 30 hours a week of training when I'm back home and none of that is weights, i'll consider adding S&C back in once I'm a "brown belt" level in striking/bjj/wrestling.

To stop information overload when doing BJJ daily i found it to help going into each class with 3 very specific things i was going to work on.
    "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
    Kenny Weldon

Posted On:
    2/06/2013 11:32pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree with Sang.
    I'll add that it would be ideal, imo, to have some sort of "taper", where some of the harder workouts get replaced by more finesse oriented ones as you get closer to the event.
    You'll obviously be better off if you go in chomping at the bit and uninjured.

Fasten your seat belts, and prepare for lift off

Posted On:
    2/06/2013 11:50pm

supporting member
     Style: Combat Cuddling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    IMO at the lower levels BJJ and more BJJ.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/07/2013 4:41am

supporting member
     Style: bjj

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Re: BJJ or BJJ AND S&C?

Agree with the answers above. See Marcelo Garcia's interview to budo videos. He doesn't do any exercises besides the bjj. He doesn't even like to take walks. People say that he's very, very strong and he argues that's because of bjj. I also developed a significant strength for my weight class over the time and now some years have passed since I did any strength exercises besides bjj drills and techniques.

I'll add the following, have a game plan. You don't need to have a lot of techniques. Have two or at most three options for each position and drill then to exhaustion. Keep things simple. If you learn too much in a short time, you'll do a lot of techniques badly. You don't need a lot of options to win. Train a lot off escapes from the worst positions and specialize in a few finishes you do better.