Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    6/07/2013 4:54am

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by blackmonk View Post
    The way ukemi is taught in sambo is sometimes a little different, although I see a lot of sambo guys do it the same as in judo... Given the fact that most sambo guys got their start in judo.

At the last sambo summit, for instance, we were doing ukemi like a lot of Russian and Eastern Bloc players used to and still do, falling in a succession of body parts, rather than one collision with the mat. An example would be getting thrown with a seoi. Rather than fall with one impact, extending the arm to spread the force out over a larger area, we were instructed to fall in a succession of one foot, the other foot, butt, hips, then upper body, then arms. It makes for a softer fall, often times.
    Unless I'm reading this ^ incorrectly, you're referring to rolling out of a throw rather than a straight fall. The physics are, of course, different, but both falling and rolling properly are potential life-and-limb saviours and both should be practised.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    6/07/2013 7:48am

supporting member
     Style: belt and jacket wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vieux Normand View Post
    Unless I'm reading this ^ incorrectly, you're referring to rolling out of a throw rather than a straight fall. The physics are, of course, different, but both falling and rolling properly are potential life-and-limb saviours and both should be practised.
    Rolling out is great! And I prefer it.

But no, I'm talking about falling in one spot, in a succession of body parts. You anticipate landing with your feet, rather than your body and outstretched arm.

Theotherserge actually led the group on those drills, if any of you remember him.

Posted On:
    6/07/2013 7:55am

Join us... or die
     Style: 柔道

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Theotherserge actually led the group on those drills, if any of you remember him.
    I do and I miss him. Send him regards.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    6/07/2013 10:57am

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The way ukemi is taught in sambo is sometimes a little different, although I see a lot of sambo guys do it the same as in judo... Given the fact that most sambo guys got their start in judo.

At the last sambo summit, for instance, we were doing ukemi like a lot of Russian and Eastern Bloc players used to and still do, falling in a succession of body parts, rather than one collision with the mat. An example would be getting thrown with a seoi. Rather than fall with one impact, extending the arm to spread the force out over a larger area, we were instructed to fall in a succession of one foot, the other foot, butt, hips, then upper body, then arms. It makes for a softer fall, often times.
    I think I understand what you are describing. That would be considered poor ukemi technique in Judo if I'm visualizing it correctly. Maybe it's adopted to falling on irregular surfaces or something if one is wearing shoes (as is done in sambo).

I'd have to see it done though to be sure, obviously.

OK, so I found this video. He explains the rational for not slapping with the arm on hard flat fall. I can't really disagree with this, as I noted earlier the "arm slap" isn't necessary.

However, he seems to claim that it will damage one's arm or shoulder to "slap the mat" (accent was a little thick at times). I'd say that I'd need to see some evidence of that. And after 30+ years of Judo I can't recall anyone injuring their arm or shoulder doing (correctly) "slapping the mat".

Here's the video. His ukemi is pretty much standard (to Judo) other than no slapping the mat with the arm.

Last edited by BKR; 6/07/2013 11:09am at . Reason: Add Video
    Falling for Judo since 1980

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    6/07/2013 10:57am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm intrigued by this cascading impact thing.

Posted On:
    6/07/2013 11:01am

Join us... or die
     Style: 柔道

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Perma, is like Systema breakfalling but real.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    6/07/2013 12:18pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For some reason neither the link or the embed video would go into my edited post.

Or this one...**** it.

Falling for Judo since 1980

Yours truly

Posted On:
    6/07/2013 2:35pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     PDS Rifles Style: Univ. Florida Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1. they are breakfalling already in MMA, just not the flashy ones designed for more intense falls
    2. if you do the flashy breakfalls, you may not be able to be in position to defend yourself / take the initiative on the ground.
    www.pdsrifles.com Add us on facebook!
    Parts and Accessories
    Law Enforcement Firearms
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123