supporting member
     Style: mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Break falls and MMA

Name:  vertigo.jpg
Views: 799
Size:  26.0 KB

There are two places in my area that train MMA. I have trained at both, and both have a definate deficiancy in thier training scedule

Ukemi, the gentle art of falling over

In judo as we all know, ukemi is a a vital part of the art, the first thing you will learn, and perhaps the most usefull thing you will ever learn for everyday life

At the first place I trained I know the ground work coach as he came to judo. After I had taken down a few of the guys he asked me to tone down the throws as the guys at the gym "...didn't have great breakfalls."

I would arrive ten minuits early and do ukemi to warm up, and the other guys would look at me like I had two heads

At my new place there is a similar vibe. We were drilling hip throws, so I give my partner first go. He performs a decent uke goshi, I slap the mat good and hard like, and he appologises for throwing me so hard and asks me if I'm OK

Watching the other guys get taken down is painfull

Niether place teaches or activly trains ukemi as a fundamental skill set every session

Is this a common quality control issue in MMA gyms, or am I just unlucky?
    Considered in the abstract the boxing ring is an altar of sorts, one of those legendary spaces where the laws of a nation are suspended: inside the ropes, during an officially regulated three-minute round, a man may be killed by his opponent's hands but he cannot be legally murdered. Boxing inhabits a sacred space predating civilization; or, to use D.H. Lawrence's phrase, before God was love. If it suggests a savage ceremony or a rite of atonement it also suggests the futility of such gestures. For what possible atonement is the fight waged if it must shortly be waged again... and again? The boxing match is the very image, the more terrifying for being so stylized, of mankind's collective aggression; its ongoing historical madness.
    Joyce Carol Oates, On Boxing

You have to work the look.

Posted On:
    2/08/2013 2:26pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think the problem may be that you live in a remote part of Kerry where it is unlikely there is one legit MMA instructor, let alone two. Any place I've done MMA or sub-grappling with throws, they were instructed how to take a bump.

I'm Svelte!

Posted On:
    2/08/2013 3:19pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kerry? KERRY?!

Try West Cork you langer, best isolated back water in the world!
    Considered in the abstract the boxing ring is an altar of sorts, one of those legendary spaces where the laws of a nation are suspended: inside the ropes, during an officially regulated three-minute round, a man may be killed by his opponent's hands but he cannot be legally murdered. Boxing inhabits a sacred space predating civilization; or, to use D.H. Lawrence's phrase, before God was love. If it suggests a savage ceremony or a rite of atonement it also suggests the futility of such gestures. For what possible atonement is the fight waged if it must shortly be waged again... and again? The boxing match is the very image, the more terrifying for being so stylized, of mankind's collective aggression; its ongoing historical madness.

Posted On:
    2/08/2013 3:35pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Jokes aside, the most likely reason they are not teaching good falling technique is because the are chancers. Are they affiliated with any of the main MMA groups operating in Ireland? Do they have a fight team? Where do they compete?

I'm Svelte!

Posted On:
    2/08/2013 4:16pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I will enquire

Do you have any MMA experience?

Posted On:
    2/08/2013 4:27pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not really much experience, but I've trained BJJ in a few places that also do MMA, and it's not a big scene, so I have an idea of who is who.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/09/2013 12:03am

Style: BJJ, Boxing, Muay Thai

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've trained MMA all over the Netherlands and in the USA. There is very, very little breakfalls in any of the curriculum. Only when you do Judo, and sometimes when you do Brazillian Jiujitsu will you train/warmup with breakfalls. Very, very rarely will you learn them.

In my opinion, it is kind of the problem with straight up 'MMA' classes -they try to encompass so much, that they leave key ingredients out. (such as breakfalls, guardpassing etc)

From my experience, it is also often taught by people who are pretty decent at one thing, and then they primarily try to teach the other. E.g. a kickboxer teaching grappling while he might just be a good white/low blue because he already knows how to 'fight' from his kickboxing experience. I think I've encountered this at least in 8 different gyms I went to in the NL.

Posted On:
    2/09/2013 5:37am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    While I wouldn't expect them to train break falls as much as in judo, I would expect them to know to tuck their chins, not post, etc. You don't actually need to do a **** tonne of ukemi in warm up every session to learn this, but it does take a bit of teaching and enforcement.

I've only ever trained at one place where the solution to people not being able to take a fall was to tone down the throws, and it was dodgy.

I'm Svelte!

Posted On:
    2/09/2013 8:35am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So your comment about culchy MMA trainers being chancers was just a bit of light trolling then?

Posted On:
    2/09/2013 9:05am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No not trolling at all. I'm unaware of anyone legit operating out there. Now while I wouldn't claim to know everyone doing MMA in the country, if there's someone out there they've done a good job of staying under the radar.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast