Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/08/2013 2:52pm

Style: Judo noob, injured guy.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehogey View Post
    Reminds me of rolling with a white belt once who tried to kick his way out of an armbar (with his heel, in my face). Not wanting to break his arm, I swept him and got him with the fist-to-throat.

He jumps up and goes "Don't do that!" and never speaks to me again off of facebook. From then on he was convinced i'm the embodiment of pan et circenses.
    That guy seems like a tool.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/08/2013 2:58pm

supporting member
     Style: bjj

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Re: Bullshido still makes me angry

A bjj brown belt friend of mine, that's also a cop, told me that they train a variation of the armbar instead of the traditional one, to avoid being bitten. If I remember well it is the one where you do a triangle with your legs trapping the arm you are attacking.

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    2/08/2013 4:43pm

supporting member
     Style: (Hung Ga+BJJ+MT+JKD) ^ Qi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If biting is OK, so is putting your fist down someone's throat.

Anything goes, right?...

Idiots who can't differentiate between training and combat are dangerous.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/08/2013 5:18pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bigato View Post
    A bjj brown belt friend of mine, that's also a cop, told me that they train a variation of the armbar instead of the traditional one, to avoid being bitten. If I remember well it is the one where you do a triangle with your legs trapping the arm you are attacking.
    I would avoid armbars as an LEO as much as possible in the first place.

霍氏八极拳徒弟

Posted On:
    2/08/2013 11:10pm

Style: CMA,Muay Thai ,Yudo,TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Similar situation happened at our place. A 115 lb girl caught 170 lb plus guy in a guillotine off her back and he bit her out of "panic" , ******. Should have got his head stomped.
    安氏八极拳学生

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/09/2013 6:57am

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Quote Originally Posted by danno View Post
    I would avoid armbars as an LEO as much as possible in the first place.
    I would avoid being an LEO in the first place.

But I guess they get lectured a lot about how much force to use. The problem probably is that not hurting is not always an option.

Anyways, most cops here train absolutely nothing and would not even run to chase a criminal if needed. My friend training bjj is an anomaly, there's no regular training required from them, so probably no clear rules about which fighting techniques to apply or not.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/09/2013 7:14am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by bigato View Post
    I would avoid being an LEO in the first place.

But I guess they get lectured a lot about how much force to use. The problem probably is that not hurting is not always an option.

Anyways, most cops here train absolutely nothing and would not even run to chase a criminal if needed. My friend training bjj is an anomaly, there's no regular training required from them, so probably no clear rules about which fighting techniques to apply or not.
    You want to avoid injuring people yes, and I agree there are times when you have to hurt people to stop them.

Even then, I'd definitely choose a strangle first. A busted elbow isn't necessarily going to stop someone. But I'd take it if I had no other choice, understanding that there's a good chance the fight will continue afterwards.

I'm surprised cops aren't training BJJ in Brazil of all places!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/09/2013 8:43am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Each state has it's own cops and each program is different. The guy I'm talking about is from Minas Gerais state. He told me that what they teach is almost only bjj based, but the cops aren't required to have a schedule of regular training. It's mostly weekend courses they take.

Another friend of mine from Sao Paulo state is from ROTA, a badass elite force in that state. We used to train bjj in the same place while I was a blue belt and he was white. He had no bjj training from his job, all he knew he was learning in the gym. He did bjj because he liked it, but in his job he told me he used his gun. But ROTA are the guys called when things are ugly, they don't go easy and don't ask questions, just get the job done. I don't know if things have changed since then (6 years ago).

At least the elite forces of Rio de Janeiro (BOPE) seem to be into more bjj, but I don't personally know anybody from there.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/09/2013 10:17am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I seemed to remember this guy from ROTA telling me they taught Aikido there, but I wasn't sure. Then I did a research and discovered an article from 2009 telling that they practice Hakushin Ryu Taijutsu. The article also say it uses acupuncture points of pressure. Well, there you have it. I think my friend cop from the other state is way better. The points of pressure fighting is much more likely to cause damage than the armbars; damage to the cops, that is. Who needs biting when you have points of pressure???

You see, Brazil has as much bullshido as any place.
    Last edited by bigato; 2/09/2013 10:23am at .

Posted On:
    2/11/2013 4:14am

Style: Kyokushin Karate / BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by danno View Post
    You want to avoid injuring people yes, and I agree there are times when you have to hurt people to stop them.

Even then, I'd definitely choose a strangle first. A busted elbow isn't necessarily going to stop someone. But I'd take it if I had no other choice, understanding that there's a good chance the fight will continue afterwards.

I'm surprised cops aren't training BJJ in Brazil of all places!

Ditto, I have a mate who's with the AFP here in ACT and he said "yeah I've actually been thinking I should take up BJJ" (having been to a lesson at our club once before). Ideally he would just like to have that 'control' over someone and not necessarily go out and start choking people out.

I was hearing some of the **** he has to deal with and I said "dude do Judo, Jits, Wrestling ... SOMETHING". Didn't realise how wild some of the locals our down here.

Back to the initial OP and in addition to Hedgehockeys post, I seriously can't believe both those things happened, and I gotta tell you if I were in either case I probably wouldn't have handled it as calmly as you both. Maybe I wouldn't have completely broken the guys arm, but I would have at least gone as hard as hearing the first (of many) 'pop' sounds when arms extend.

People like that deserve all the injuries they get.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast