Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    2/07/2013 8:22pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: 柔術

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Bullshido still makes me angry

So, I haven't been really involved too much with Bullshido lately but interesting enough Bullshido always seems to find you. I had a long conversation today with a friend that in retrospect I thought was worth reposting here.

A few months ago a friend of mine who is a BJJ Blue Belt, took a temporary change in his position that has taken him to a place without BJJ. The closest he was able to find was a Japanese Jujutsu instructor. I gave him the standard quality warnings and let it be.

Fast forward to today. He explained to me that he was grappling with the black belt that runs the academy when he sunk in a tight armbar. Instead of tapping, the instructor bit his leg in order to escape. He said he let go and just laughed and instructor laughed said in a real fight anything goes.

Honestly, I flipped a ****. That is not cool. There is a trust with your training partners. When we are on the mat we are training, not fighting. You tap, you ask me to stop, I will stop. I expect the same from the people I am training with. There is no winning or losing on the mat, there is training, save the winning for competition or a real fight. What this was is a violation of his trust.

This is what really happened, the instructor's ego could not have him "lose" inside his little dominion. Therefore, he escalated a training session from training to a fight. Once you go into bitting, you are now fighting. The instructor is counting on this escalation to be a surprise and cause the lock to release. Well, you don't start a fight from an inferior position. In my opinion once you start to escalate the training session into a fight, its a fight. You do not let go and go for the break not the tap. If they decide to tap at this point it is honestly your decision to stop, you don't have to, they started this fight. If you do let go before the break, explain that the you are under the impression you were training not fighting and if they can't understand the difference you leave.

Biting is a bitch move, from a bitch with no technique. If you need to bite to get out of an armbar, why are you bothering to train? So remember, if you are planning to bite your way out of a submission during training, you made the training session into a fight and you started this fight in the worst place you could, already in a submission.
    Last edited by Plasma; 2/07/2013 8:26pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/07/2013 8:30pm

Style: Judo, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That sux. Get your mate to have rabies shots - and send the bill to the instructor

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/07/2013 8:30pm

Style: Judo noob, injured guy.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Someone post the "go ahead an poke out my eye, I will just break your neck" video of Bas Rutten. It is so appropriate for this thread.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    2/07/2013 9:07pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What a dick move. What would happen if he did that at a JJ competition?

Posted On:
    2/07/2013 9:07pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would have told him well if anything goes in a fight next time I will just break your arm then your fucking teeth.

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    2/07/2013 9:10pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    What a dick move. What would happen if he did that at a JJ competition?
    DQ (as long as the ref saw it)

Posted On:
    2/07/2013 9:35pm

Style: BJJ/Zumba

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's actually legitimately disgusting, what a **** wad.
    Daniel: I don't know if I know enough karate.

Miyagi: Feeling correct.

Daniel: You sure know how to make a guy feel confident.

Miyagi: You trust the quality of what you know, not quantity.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/07/2013 9:40pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If they both laughed about it afterwards, the instructor must not have bitten hard enough to hurt your friend. He may have been seeking to graphically make a point. Has your friend given you any other indications that the instructor is arrogant or insecure?

Posted On:
    2/07/2013 9:48pm

Style: BBT/BJJ/CJKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This part:
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasma View Post
    He explained to me that he was grappling with the black belt that runs the academy when he sunk in a tight armbar. Instead of tapping, the instructor bit his leg in order to escape. He said he let go and just laughed and instructor laughed said in a real fight anything goes.
    Reminds me of this:
    not too long ago when I was teaching a seminar... one of my 6th kyu Green Belts easily submitted a 12th Dan in the Bujinkan in less than 20 seconds. It was a real wake-up call for me and my student as to the state of the Bujinkan. Not so much a wake-up call for the 12th Dan though. He quickly tried to logically explain his reason for losing (typical of Bujinkan practitioners). In the real battle, he would be dead. Period. With his 12th Dan and funny vest.
    That's from Sean Askew.

Here's the part I especially like:
    He quickly tried to logically explain his reason for losing (typical of Bujinkan practitioners). In the real battle, he would be dead. Period.
    (Although the funny vest part is cute too.)

Ever since reading this, I try to remember two things that I think are important to training:
    1.) "Failure" on the mat is a gift because it has no serious consequences and shows me where I need to work to improve. There's no place for excuses.
    2.) You only bring the training you've got to a real fight, so you better make the most of your training time. There will be no opportunity for excuses.

I'm only human, so it's not always easy to live by these lessons. But in the long run, I realize I can't accept my own excuses; that wouldn't be training, that is self-delusion.

It's too bad the JJJ black belt in your story hasn't figured this out. You're right, biting isn't simply a dirty trick tactic, it's really a type of "excuse" because it allows him to conveinently ignore the truth that he was effectively submitted.

Bullshido Admin

Posted On:
    2/07/2013 9:48pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dougguod View Post
    If they both laughed about it afterwards, the instructor must not have bitten hard enough to hurt your friend. He may have been seeking to graphically make a point. Has your friend given you any other indications that the instructor is arrogant or insecure?
    I didn't ask for more info. When I told him I would of broken his arm, he responded that the instructor deserved respect and he couldn't do that to him. That is when I ranted that the instructor disrespected him by biting him. He never told me the bite was playful or to prove a point, just to escape.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast