I'm Svelte!

Posted On:
    2/08/2013 1:27pm

supporting member
     Style: mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ermghoti View Post
    A machete is OK because it's a tool. A kukri is not OK because it's a weapon. Either will do equally well at removing body parts, and the amputee will be no happier abut being maimed with a tool or a weapon. All weapon bans are the same, if they are not tied to a performance measure, they are useless.
    A kukuri is a tool to. Are they illegal where you live?
    Considered in the abstract the boxing ring is an altar of sorts, one of those legendary spaces where the laws of a nation are suspended: inside the ropes, during an officially regulated three-minute round, a man may be killed by his opponent's hands but he cannot be legally murdered. Boxing inhabits a sacred space predating civilization; or, to use D.H. Lawrence's phrase, before God was love. If it suggests a savage ceremony or a rite of atonement it also suggests the futility of such gestures. For what possible atonement is the fight waged if it must shortly be waged again... and again? The boxing match is the very image, the more terrifying for being so stylized, of mankind's collective aggression; its ongoing historical madness.
    Joyce Carol Oates, On Boxing

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    2/08/2013 2:12pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bneterasedmynam View Post
    What if the weapon is useless though, that banned nunchaku thread comes to mind. Certainly no one would think nunchaku are more dangerous than a machete or knife.
    Not more dangerous, but more useless for anything besides nunchucking people. Unless you need to hull rice or whatever they're saying these days about how the nunchaku started.

Posted On:
    2/08/2013 4:37pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is it a WMD? No then if you can afford it you can have it. I don't care if you want to go buy an M1 Abrams. That is where I stand at least. Now that is not to say I don't believe in any sorts of controls or what not I agree with smart things like the 5 day waiting period back ground checks and the what not.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    2/08/2013 6:54pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ+Sanda

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by doofaloofa View Post
    A kukuri is a tool to. Are they illegal where you live?
    Substitute whatever short bladed weapon you want. I know you can't tote around swords in the UK, and some places in the US even. However, a wakisashi is not significantly different to a target than a machete. If people with a mind to chop up people can get a machete, a wakasashi ban is not beneficial. You either decide a certain functional level of potential weaponry is unacceptable to be accessed, carried, or whatever by the general public, or you're engaging in useless grandstanding.

To wit, the magazine fed semiautomatic firearms that get called assault weapons make the exact same holes, at the exact same rate, as other magazine fed semi automatic firearms that are not called assault weapons. This is because "assault weapon" does not have a functional definition.
    Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.

Posted On:
    2/08/2013 7:32pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not sure if carrying around a sword would be all that usefull for self defense, but there are places that outright ban even owning one for any reason, which in my opinion is retarded. Now a telescoping baton I could see using, but in Illinois that's illegal. **** everything in Illinois weapon wise is illegal to carry, we can own them, but not carry. It's like mini UK.

Posted On:
    2/08/2013 7:44pm

Style: kenpo, Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Prohibition of weapons

I think the following should be banned:

1) Automated weaponry. (Not talking about firing action.) Any weapon connected to automated controls.
    2) Weapons you can't carry on you. Vehicle mounted for example
    3) Explosives
    4) lethal gases
    5) biological
    6) hidden stuff. Guns that look like a book etc.
    7) Fire hazards if appropriate (California has some serious fire risk)
    8) any type of trap, mechanical or electrical

That's about it.

Posted On:
    2/08/2013 8:16pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mike321 View Post
    I think the following should be banned:

1) Automated weaponry. (Not talking about firing action.) Any weapon connected to automated controls.
    2) Weapons you can't carry on you. Vehicle mounted for example
    3) Explosives
    4) lethal gases
    5) biological
    6) hidden stuff. Guns that look like a book etc.
    7) Fire hazards if appropriate (California has some serious fire risk)
    8) any type of trap, mechanical or electrical

That's about it.
    I think it's interesting that you mentioned fire hazards, I don't think most people realize just how horrible fire can be as a device of destruction. Even as an accidental hazard fire is pretty un-stoppable.

Posted On:
    2/08/2013 8:31pm

Style: kenpo, Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Prohibition of weapons

Quote Originally Posted by Bneterasedmynam View Post
    I think it's interesting that you mentioned fire hazards, I don't think most people realize just how horrible fire can be as a device of destruction. Even as an accidental hazard fire is pretty un-stoppable.
    I think California already bans tracers. I probably should have included flame throwers in their as a banned weapon.

One ban that I don't understand is short barreled rifles. What is the deal with that ban?

Oh and while we are talking about bans, I suppose the US should be making some way of providing full metal jacket ammo to citizens since we are treaty bound to use them in war.

Posted On:
    2/08/2013 8:35pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mike321 View Post
    I think California already bans tracers. I probably should have included flame throwers in their as a banned weapon.
    Flame Throwers are banned in CA but are not banned federally.

Posted On:
    2/08/2013 8:48pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    Flame Throwers are banned in CA but are not banned federally.
    Wow not sure I could see the self-defense in a flamethrower.:Click image for larger version. 

Name:	flamethrower_straight.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	13.2 KB 
ID:	14463
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast