Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/07/2013 9:01am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Training after Hiatus Hernia OP

Has anyone here had any experience with Hiatus Hernia's I've been offered the operation to get mine fixed. I currently medicate for it and it impacts my life and training in a very minimal way.

It probably wont get any bigger but I will have to take medication for the rest of my life or I can have the op to fix it. I've been given the stock answer of you can start exercise after 3 months.

I wonder if anyone here trains with one or had the op?

Posted On:
    2/07/2013 9:20am

Style: FMA/MMA/HEMA noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have an incredibly minor one, but I'm not on any medication for it and it doesn't impact my training at all.

Hurts like a ************ if I eat badly though.

Posted On:
    2/07/2013 9:22am

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My hernia repair was about a dozen years ago. Prior to my surgery, I was at the point where if I climbed a flight of stairs, I had to lie down for a minute. Not such a good thing when you're the breadwinner for a family of four (both kids being toddlers at that point), and have a school to run.

Get the damn operation.

The little post-op pamphlet scared the hell out of me, frankly. It included such strenuous abdominal exercises as "light coughing" so I figured I'd be a wreck. Not really - out-patient surgery, took a week off work, only ended up taking pain-killers once or twice. I've got an office job, so at least I could go back to work without blowing stitches.

Was back into full training and teaching after a month.

Outside of weird pains in that area for a month or two (and occasional twinges still) it's been no problem.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/07/2013 9:39am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cheers, in the last 3 months I've been getting really wheezy, chest pains and have difficulty swallowing. I was done for after a minimal judo warm up so I knew something wasn't right. So the doctor upped my meds and sent me for an endoscopy they then upped the meds and symptoms went away again but they offered me the op, like you say read the pamphlet and various forum horror stories and almost phoned up and cancelled it.

Posted On:
    2/07/2013 10:26am

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I neglected to mention mine was an inguinal hernia, so definitely YMMV.

Frankly, when it starts affecting my ability to breathe I'd say that's one of nature's gentle reminders to get the damn operation.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/07/2013 10:47am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chili Pepper View Post
    I neglected to mention mine was an inguinal hernia, so definitely YMMV.

Frankly, when it starts affecting my ability to breathe I'd say that's one of nature's gentle reminders to get the damn operation.
    True, I will get the op in 8 weeks.

However I have asthma, bad back, duff knee's, dodgy shoulder, tendonitis and IBS, so I already have more than enough reasons to sit on my backside because I'm too sick/injured/sore/ to let people drop me on my head, I'm not about to let a bit of wheezing slow me down a few puffs on the old inhaler and I'm good to go lol

Posted On:
    2/07/2013 1:42pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    IBS and a hernia?
    Dude, yeah get the operation.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/13/2013 4:33am

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChenPengFi View Post
    IBS and a hernia?
    Dude, yeah get the operation.
    OP booked for April, I hate you all.

Now I have injured my foot as and it's blown up to the three times the size. Curse this weak body.

IBS is not a problem. It's simple to deal with. If I eat something spicy, or really fatty I just need to be no further than 20 yards from a toilet for 2 hours after eating. After that period my body accepts the food and no further action is necessary.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/09/2013 10:28pm

Style: Taekwondo/Eskrima

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have a haital hernia and I went to get a doctor to varify it. They told me I had one but would not operate on it. They refused and said more often than not the operation fails or re-injures.

I have a very hard time swallowing any of my food and always have to chug alot of water whenever I eat. I have puked during my job at a school and had to go home during lunch becuase I puked all over myself in front of all the kids. Embarassing!
    I puked a few times before but I have to run to a garbage can. Now I am very careful and always making sure to have tons of liquid to chug. The doctor said you have to watch your diet and that is about it as active people like martial artists would end up just re-injuring it. I have alot of breathing problems too but have found that eating lighter and more healthy as well as getting on the ellipitical or treadmill and other kinds of cardio really helps me breathe better in every day life. I had a time where I had to deep breath very noticably where people thought I was super pissed off, but all I was doing was trying to breath.

Good luck man and stay strong. Also you say you have alot of injuries and tons of pain and a sick body. I feel you, I was hit by a car when i was a teen and almost died and have had about 10 surgeries in my life and wake up every day with tons of arthritis. I still can train though and have to take a day off sometimes. When i have a good training session I feel like I was hit by a car all over again. I am constantly on ibprofin!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/10/2013 2:57am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would be interested in knowing what diet you are following. The breathing is by far the worst symptom as of late. My Doctor is convinced I have spontaneously contracted Asthma and can't seem to get him to believe its all connected, its worst after eating I get wheezy and cough after eating. The swallowing and reflux is controlled by the meds.

My op has been postponed to October. I'm ashamed to say to my diet is not great.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast