223596 Bullies, 4200 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 51 to 60 of 126
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 78910 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. OwlMatt is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    890

    Posted On:
    5/26/2013 8:13pm


     Style: aikido

    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    TKD is a great workout for cardio and flexibility and is a lot of fun. But it's become very commercialized in the past couple decades, so you have to be careful when picking a club. Look for a club that:
    • has instructors with credentials from a reputable international organization
    • has adults-only classes and lots of adult students to train with
    • spars regularly, but doesn't just spar all the time
    • doesn't spend a lot of time on flashy-looking weapons forms
    • doesn't teach hapkido or other martial arts on the side unless it has instructors with real qualifications in those arts
    • doesn't spend class time teaching platitudes or Korean history
    • doesn't lock its students into long-term contracts
    • doesn't claim TKD is a deadly military fighting style
  2. Galope is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    63

    Posted On:
    5/26/2013 8:47pm


     Style: Kempo Karate, BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlMatt View Post
    TKD is a great workout for cardio and flexibility and is a lot of fun. But it's become very commercialized in the past couple decades, so you have to be careful when picking a club. Look for a club that:
    • has instructors with credentials from a reputable international organization
    • has adults-only classes and lots of adult students to train with
    • spars regularly, but doesn't just spar all the time
    • doesn't spend a lot of time on flashy-looking weapons forms
    • doesn't teach hapkido or other martial arts on the side unless it has instructors with real qualifications in those arts
    • doesn't spend class time teaching platitudes or Korean history
    • doesn't lock its students into long-term contracts
    • doesn't claim TKD is a deadly military fighting style
    Yeah, I am a little more consumer savvy nowdays. I have been eyeing a 3 particular places though.

    http://augustaworldtkd.com/

    www.dalesimmonstangsoodo.com

    www.stsdkarate.com/
  3. OwlMatt is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    890

    Posted On:
    5/26/2013 10:16pm


     Style: aikido

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Galope View Post
    A few things I'd ask about:
    - Who teaches their aikido? Their instructors page doesn't list anyone qualified to teach aikido.
    - Are they actually affiliated with WTF/Kukkiwon? The page implies it, but does not say it outright.
    - Are their weapons classes really "Bo Staff" and "Samaria Sword [sic]"? If so, I wouldn't touch those classes with a ten-foot pole.
    If I lived where you lived, I'd be looking into this place. Reasonable rates and no claims of deadly combat prowess -- good news on both counts. My big question would be, since this is an independent club, what opportunities there are for competition (since the homepage goes out of its way to talk about the competitive sport aspect of TSD)?
    A lineage to Chuck Norris, an "emphasis on Christian family values", and a URL that includes the word "karate" even though they teach TSD. Run.
  4. Vorpal is offline
    Vorpal's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    A Hell of my own making
    Posts
    3,078

    Posted On:
    5/27/2013 1:52pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlMatt View Post
    A few things I'd ask about:
    - Who teaches their aikido? Their instructors page doesn't list anyone qualified to teach aikido.
    - Are they actually affiliated with WTF/Kukkiwon? The page implies it, but does not say it outright.
    - Are their weapons classes really "Bo Staff" and "Samaria Sword [sic]"? If so, I wouldn't touch those classes with a ten-foot pole.

    If I lived where you lived, I'd be looking into this place. Reasonable rates and no claims of deadly combat prowess -- good news on both counts. My big question would be, since this is an independent club, what opportunities there are for competition (since the homepage goes out of its way to talk about the competitive sport aspect of TSD)?

    A lineage to Chuck Norris, an "emphasis on Christian family values", and a URL that includes the word "karate" even though they teach TSD. Run.
    It wasn't uncommon for TKD and TSD to be advertised as "Korean Karate". People knew what karate was in the 70s and 80s so it was an effective way to advertise, it's also essentially what it is, a Korean form of karate. I wouldn't let that alone put me off. The "Christian values" thing. That's off putting. Never could figure out what that has to do with MA.
  5. Galope is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    63

    Posted On:
    5/27/2013 4:59pm


     Style: Kempo Karate, BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlMatt View Post
    A few things I'd ask about:
    - Who teaches their aikido? Their instructors page doesn't list anyone qualified to teach aikido.
    - Are they actually affiliated with WTF/Kukkiwon? The page implies it, but does not say it outright.
    - Are their weapons classes really "Bo Staff" and "Samaria Sword [sic]"? If so, I wouldn't touch those classes with a ten-foot pole.

    If I lived where you lived, I'd be looking into this place. Reasonable rates and no claims of deadly combat prowess -- good news on both counts. My big question would be, since this is an independent club, what opportunities there are for competition (since the homepage goes out of its way to talk about the competitive sport aspect of TSD)?

    A lineage to Chuck Norris, an "emphasis on Christian family values", and a URL that includes the word "karate" even though they teach TSD. Run.
    I am researching the TKD dojang more and I am gonna send them a email just to check out some of the oddities. I am guessing the aikido classes are taught by Instructor Peralta since it says on his bio that he took aikido when he was a teen (huh?).

    I am waiting for a response on the dale simmons TSD about competitions.

    As for the Southern Tang Soo Do, it says the dojang was founded by those associated with the United Fighting Artists Federation, which is what I think they mean by "Chuck Norris System" since he founded the organization. The karate reference might be a mix of what Vorpal said and the similarities between TSD and Shotokan.

    As for the Christian thing, lol. We're in the south, Jesus is attached to everything down here and he is a great marketing tool get yokels into the dojos/dojangs. Even though I am a Christian myself, I can see the silliness of it. Hell, we got a business down here called 4 Jesus Carpet Cleaners!
    Last edited by Galope; 5/27/2013 5:21pm at .
  6. OwlMatt is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    890

    Posted On:
    5/27/2013 8:29pm


     Style: aikido

    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have family in Georgia; I've noticed that as well. In any case, no matter how Christian you are personally, someone trying to teach you a Christian version of Asian martial arts is bad news.
  7. TKDbrah is offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Addison
    Posts
    9

    Posted On:
    6/05/2013 10:43pm

    Bullshido Newbie
     Style: TKD, MMA

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlMatt View Post
    I have family in Georgia; I've noticed that as well. In any case, no matter how Christian you are personally, someone trying to teach you a Christian version of Asian martial arts is bad news.
    One time, i saw a "New Living Hope Christian Tae Kwon Do" At a local tournament.

    They had a 230-50 BB sparring. He did not seem mechanically able to kick to kick above the waist.

    Yeah, he lost his first match. 12-0. They had TONS of kids though.
  8. jedtex88 is online now

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Southeast Texas
    Posts
    118

    Posted On:
    6/06/2013 1:35pm


     Style: Jhoon Rhee Tae-Kwon-Do

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When I was first trying to find a school my mother suggested I check out the free class that her preacher taught in the church gym. The teacher was competent and had received his black belt from a reputable instructor, Ishmael Robles. He had great kicks and was an absolute billy with a Bo staff. Unfortunately, church politics prevented him from being able to run the class properly. Unruly parents were tolerated and incompetent students were promoted to keep from causing a rift in the church congregation. I didn't make it there long.
  9. Charles Brown is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    New Braunfels, Texas by way of Long Island
    Posts
    241

    Posted On:
    6/07/2013 11:16am

    supporting member
     Style: DT Instructor

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, I checked out the local, expensive TKD place. It's nothing but a kids' birthday party money maker. No serious teaching and certainly no going to get you competitive.
  10. Omega Supreme is offline

    Administrator

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    West Coast
    Posts
    22,963

    Posted On:
    6/07/2013 11:29am

    staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jedtex88 View Post
    When I was first trying to find a school my mother suggested I check out the free class that her preacher taught in the church gym. The teacher was competent and had received his black belt from a reputable instructor, Ishmael Robles. He had great kicks and was an absolute billy with a Bo staff. Unfortunately, church politics prevented him from being able to run the class properly. Unruly parents were tolerated and incompetent students were promoted to keep from causing a rift in the church congregation. I didn't make it there long.
    Did you just say "Bo staff"? Seriously? Give me 50 push ups kid and don't ever say it again.
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 78910 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.