Our Sponsors:

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 78910 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/26/2013 8:13pm

Style: aikido

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    TKD is a great workout for cardio and flexibility and is a lot of fun. But it's become very commercialized in the past couple decades, so you have to be careful when picking a club. Look for a club that:
    • has instructors with credentials from a reputable international organization
    • has adults-only classes and lots of adult students to train with
    • spars regularly, but doesn't just spar all the time
    • doesn't spend a lot of time on flashy-looking weapons forms
    • doesn't teach hapkido or other martial arts on the side unless it has instructors with real qualifications in those arts
    • doesn't spend class time teaching platitudes or Korean history
    • doesn't lock its students into long-term contracts
    • doesn't claim TKD is a deadly military fighting style

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/26/2013 8:47pm

Style: Kempo Karate, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlMatt View Post
    TKD is a great workout for cardio and flexibility and is a lot of fun. But it's become very commercialized in the past couple decades, so you have to be careful when picking a club. Look for a club that:
    • has instructors with credentials from a reputable international organization
    • has adults-only classes and lots of adult students to train with
    • spars regularly, but doesn't just spar all the time
    • doesn't spend a lot of time on flashy-looking weapons forms
    • doesn't teach hapkido or other martial arts on the side unless it has instructors with real qualifications in those arts
    • doesn't spend class time teaching platitudes or Korean history
    • doesn't lock its students into long-term contracts
    • doesn't claim TKD is a deadly military fighting style
    Yeah, I am a little more consumer savvy nowdays. I have been eyeing a 3 particular places though.

http://augustaworldtkd.com/

www.dalesimmonstangsoodo.com

www.stsdkarate.com/

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/26/2013 10:16pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Galope View Post
    A few things I'd ask about:
    - Who teaches their aikido? Their instructors page doesn't list anyone qualified to teach aikido.
    - Are they actually affiliated with WTF/Kukkiwon? The page implies it, but does not say it outright.
    - Are their weapons classes really "Bo Staff" and "Samaria Sword [sic]"? If so, I wouldn't touch those classes with a ten-foot pole.
    If I lived where you lived, I'd be looking into this place. Reasonable rates and no claims of deadly combat prowess -- good news on both counts. My big question would be, since this is an independent club, what opportunities there are for competition (since the homepage goes out of its way to talk about the competitive sport aspect of TSD)?
    A lineage to Chuck Norris, an "emphasis on Christian family values", and a URL that includes the word "karate" even though they teach TSD. Run.

Posted On:
    5/27/2013 1:52pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    - Who teaches their aikido? Their instructors page doesn't list anyone qualified to teach aikido.
    - Are they actually affiliated with WTF/Kukkiwon? The page implies it, but does not say it outright.
    - Are their weapons classes really "Bo Staff" and "Samaria Sword [sic]"? If so, I wouldn't touch those classes with a ten-foot pole.

If I lived where you lived, I'd be looking into this place. Reasonable rates and no claims of deadly combat prowess -- good news on both counts. My big question would be, since this is an independent club, what opportunities there are for competition (since the homepage goes out of its way to talk about the competitive sport aspect of TSD)?

A lineage to Chuck Norris, an "emphasis on Christian family values", and a URL that includes the word "karate" even though they teach TSD. Run.
    It wasn't uncommon for TKD and TSD to be advertised as "Korean Karate". People knew what karate was in the 70s and 80s so it was an effective way to advertise, it's also essentially what it is, a Korean form of karate. I wouldn't let that alone put me off. The "Christian values" thing. That's off putting. Never could figure out what that has to do with MA.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/27/2013 4:59pm

Style: Kempo Karate, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I am researching the TKD dojang more and I am gonna send them a email just to check out some of the oddities. I am guessing the aikido classes are taught by Instructor Peralta since it says on his bio that he took aikido when he was a teen (huh?).

I am waiting for a response on the dale simmons TSD about competitions.

As for the Southern Tang Soo Do, it says the dojang was founded by those associated with the United Fighting Artists Federation, which is what I think they mean by "Chuck Norris System" since he founded the organization. The karate reference might be a mix of what Vorpal said and the similarities between TSD and Shotokan.

As for the Christian thing, lol. We're in the south, Jesus is attached to everything down here and he is a great marketing tool get yokels into the dojos/dojangs. Even though I am a Christian myself, I can see the silliness of it. Hell, we got a business down here called 4 Jesus Carpet Cleaners!
    Last edited by Galope; 5/27/2013 5:21pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/27/2013 8:29pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have family in Georgia; I've noticed that as well. In any case, no matter how Christian you are personally, someone trying to teach you a Christian version of Asian martial arts is bad news.

Posted On:
    6/05/2013 10:43pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: TKD, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have family in Georgia; I've noticed that as well. In any case, no matter how Christian you are personally, someone trying to teach you a Christian version of Asian martial arts is bad news.
    One time, i saw a "New Living Hope Christian Tae Kwon Do" At a local tournament.

They had a 230-50 BB sparring. He did not seem mechanically able to kick to kick above the waist.

Yeah, he lost his first match. 12-0. They had TONS of kids though.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/06/2013 1:35pm

Style: Jhoon Rhee Tae-Kwon-Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When I was first trying to find a school my mother suggested I check out the free class that her preacher taught in the church gym. The teacher was competent and had received his black belt from a reputable instructor, Ishmael Robles. He had great kicks and was an absolute billy with a Bo staff. Unfortunately, church politics prevented him from being able to run the class properly. Unruly parents were tolerated and incompetent students were promoted to keep from causing a rift in the church congregation. I didn't make it there long.

Registered Member

New Braunfels, Texas by way of Long Island

Posted On:
    6/07/2013 11:16am

supporting member
     Style: DT Instructor

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, I checked out the local, expensive TKD place. It's nothing but a kids' birthday party money maker. No serious teaching and certainly no going to get you competitive.

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/07/2013 11:29am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jedtex88 View Post
    When I was first trying to find a school my mother suggested I check out the free class that her preacher taught in the church gym. The teacher was competent and had received his black belt from a reputable instructor, Ishmael Robles. He had great kicks and was an absolute billy with a Bo staff. Unfortunately, church politics prevented him from being able to run the class properly. Unruly parents were tolerated and incompetent students were promoted to keep from causing a rift in the church congregation. I didn't make it there long.
    Did you just say "Bo staff"? Seriously? Give me 50 push ups kid and don't ever say it again.
Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 78910 ... LastLast