Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1234 5678 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/24/2013 4:26pm

Style: being a fatty

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ATKDA View Post
    If you want to find out why people learn Tae Kwon Do then go and find out from a good school and not a McDojo that gives the art a bad name, in any art you get out of it what you put in.
    Learn to resolve a situation in many ways, from just calming the situation to keeping them away and destroying the offender with a single strike, or take them down and take them down hard.
    There are unfortunatly the schools that just teach you the flash side, but then you will only look good until your out cold.
    Or... he could just ask the members of the forum who take/have taken tkd.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/25/2013 7:55am

Style: Taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuddles View Post
    Or... he could just ask the members of the forum who take/have taken tkd.
    As long as they are local to the person they would be relevant so good point, :-p

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    2/25/2013 8:21am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ATKDA View Post
    As long as they are local to the person they would be relevant so good point, :-p
    Or not.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/10/2013 10:08am

Style: Judo/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the posts. I talked more extensively with some of the TKD people I know. I get along great with them, and we all know what martial art we each practice/practiced. On our breaks, or spare time, I ask them questions and certain "what if scenarios". The two I'm most impressed with are the one Hapkido BB and the TKD 3rd BB (w/ "hapkido style") as he calls it.

There's definitely some interesting stuff there. I find it interesting there's a lot of intricate movement involved. Some of the techniques I see new revelations for Judo, and one of the guys showed me something I always thought was escapeable, which appeared to be quite painful. Although we both understand there's always something different in a live encounter, there was some useful stuff there.

I think I have a new respect for some of the TKD'ers and Hapkido'ers. It's pretty cool, I have 2 martial artists and one Bullshido guy in the same place to compare.

The 2 TKD/Hapkido people seemed to demonstrate (what seems to me) nice technique, with an admittance to " it all depends". The one, "Registered leathal weapon" has a definite, "I kick you in the back of the knee, you go down, "INSTANTLY!" Then I grab you by the ankle, and your hair, and proceed to pull your leg apart at the knee."

I'm thinking I might take a few TKD classes, or maybe Hapkido classes. I loved seeing the contrast of achieving the same goal, with different moves. Awesome.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/10/2013 11:25am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorekara View Post
    There's definitely some interesting stuff there. I find it interesting there's a lot of intricate movement involved. Some of the techniques I see new revelations for Judo, and one of the guys showed me something I always thought was escapeable, which appeared to be quite painful. Although we both understand there's always something different in a live encounter, there was some useful stuff there.
    If you think so, so be it.
    I think I have a new respect for some of the TKD'ers and Hapkido'ers. It's pretty cool, I have 2 martial artists and one Bullshido guy in the same place to compare.
    Well, be careful with any aikidoka, as they are not a style known for training aliveness. Actually, they're known for NOT training alive, which is pretty sad.
    The 2 TKD/Hapkido people seemed to demonstrate (what seems to me) nice technique, with an admittance to " it all depends". The one, "Registered leathal weapon" has a definite, "I kick you in the back of the knee, you go down, "INSTANTLY!" Then I grab you by the ankle, and your hair, and proceed to pull your leg apart at the knee."
    Registering as a lethal weapon is a myth. Sounds like he doesn't know what he's talking about or is fluffing up for you.
    Of course, almost everything "depends". Except jabbing. Always jab.
    I'm thinking I might take a few TKD classes, or maybe Hapkido classes. I loved seeing the contrast of achieving the same goal, with different moves. Awesome.
    Good luck and have fun. TKD trains more lively, so I'd suggest that instead of aikido.
    Even then, beward of McDojos and Bullshidos. If they only train in point sparring, don't ever go full contact, or wear excessive armor, that may be an indication of a Bullshidojo.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/10/2013 6:28pm

Style: Taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think he means hapkido and not aikido. Bit of a difference.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/10/2013 7:33pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gluckmann View Post
    I think he means hapkido and not aikido. Bit of a difference.
    Oh wups. Though Hapkido also practices a lot in theoretical terms, at least from what I've seen. Including striking increases aliveness, but I doubt as much as you'd get compared to a different art (boxing, BJJ, Judo, MT, etc)

Still, something I've found was:
    The one thing that I will caution... is to check deeply into the credentials of the Hapkido school. Many schools are Tae Kwon Do plus a few joint locks thrown in in order to ride the HKD wave. Check for the lineage back to a student of Yung Sool Choi, the founder of the art (Contemporary of O'Sensei). If they don't have this, be really careful as it is likely to be a TKD-plus school.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/29/2013 3:56am

Style: Thaiboxing; MMA nb

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ohhh.... your first post is a weak necro, pretty useless, and with a style field "My own". Ouch. That's three strikes my friend.
    Dude, seriously. The thread had only rested for about three weeks and was still very high on the first page of this subforum. It might not have been a stellar post, but it was still somewhat on topic. Also, what is Volleyball Spike?

I see you try to teach a lot of new members how to post. Normally, I wouldn't say anything, but it seems to happen a lot. Maybe you could try to spend some more time on this board before you go on doing that.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    3/29/2013 7:22am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ohhh.... your first post is a weak necro, pretty useless, and with a style field "My own". Ouch. That's three strikes my friend.
    You need to shut the **** up.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/29/2013 11:08am

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Azatdawn View Post
    Dude, seriously. The thread had only rested for about three weeks and was still very high on the first page of this subforum.
    Hence, weak necro

It might not have been a stellar post, but it was still somewhat on topic. Also, what is Volleyball Spike?
    It's when you approach, jump, and hit the volleyball. Surely you've played or seen it before.

I see you try to teach a lot of new members how to post. Normally, I wouldn't say anything, but it seems to happen a lot. Maybe you could try to spend some more time on this board before you go on doing that.
    I appreciate your concern.

Quote Originally Posted by DerAuslander View Post
    You need to shut the **** up.
    The **** has now been shut.
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1234 5678 ... LastLast