Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    2/07/2013 4:42pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vieux Normand View Post
    A tree fell in the forest. Nobody was there.
    Your mom was. I felled her with my sequoia.

Posted On:
    2/07/2013 5:17pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    TKD is the deadly.

I know a few of this guy's BBs:

http://books.google.com/books?id=pwL...%20chi&f=false

Registered Member

New Braunfels, Texas by way of Long Island

Posted On:
    2/07/2013 5:54pm

supporting member
     Style: DT Instructor

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It looks like fun to me. Plus, it's certainly not useless to be able to kick somebody in the head. I wouldn't want to fight an MMA figher armed only with TKD, but I can see how it might help you out if somebody tried to victimize you.

I just finished my contract with DZR and I decided to move on. I considered the local TKD school, but it's way too expensive. For twenty bucks per month less than TDK, I can go the the local MMA school and take BJJ, wrestling, MMA and Krav Maga classes as often as I want. That seems like a better deal to me. Otherwise, I might have tried TKD out.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/07/2013 6:21pm

Style: jailbait

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Brown View Post
    Plus, it's certainly not useless to be able to kick somebody in the head.
    In a stand up fight? Nope, too dangerous. That's extremely risky, especially with the kind of set-ups tkd has to lead to that move (i.e. hands at the waist, bouncing around, standing sideways)

I'd understand if you used it like how the Sidyotang Coach said it in an interview (I'm a huge Buakaw fan) , "If you're down by points and can't win, don't give up. You use the signature Sidyotang neck kick"

It's more of a desperation move than an actual one, with high-risk, high-reward (sometimes), which is not what you want while defending yourself.

However, the flexibility to do that may be useful. The move in itself? Not so much.

Posted On:
    2/07/2013 6:28pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuddles View Post
    In a stand up fight? Nope, too dangerous. That's extremely risky, especially with the kind of set-ups tkd has to lead to that move (i.e. hands at the waist, bouncing around, standing sideways)

I'd understand if you used it like how the Sidyotang Coach said it in an interview (I'm a huge Buakaw fan) , "If you're down by points and can't win, don't give up. You use the signature Sidyotang neck kick"

It's more of a desperation move than an actual one, with high-risk, high-reward (sometimes), which is not what you want while defending yourself.

However, the flexibility to do that may be useful. The move in itself? Not so much.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cro-cop-scrum.png 
Views:	17 
Size:	434.9 KB 
ID:	14458

You have confused this man.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/07/2013 6:55pm

Style: Judo noob, injured guy.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Charles Brown View Post
    It looks like fun to me. Plus, it's certainly not useless to be able to kick somebody in the head. I wouldn't want to fight an MMA figher armed only with TKD, but I can see how it might help you out if somebody tried to victimize you.

I just finished my contract with DZR and I decided to move on. I considered the local TKD school, but it's way too expensive. For twenty bucks per month less than TDK, I can go the the local MMA school and take BJJ, wrestling, MMA and Krav Maga classes as often as I want. That seems like a better deal to me. Otherwise, I might have tried TKD out.
    That blows my mind, as TKD was up to this point the cheapest martial art I have studied. I guess that is the upside to taking martial arts classes in the dance room of a college in small town Iowa.

Registered Member

New Braunfels, Texas by way of Long Island

Posted On:
    2/07/2013 7:06pm

supporting member
     Style: DT Instructor

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Krijgsman View Post
    That blows my mind, as TKD was up to this point the cheapest martial art I have studied. I guess that is the upside to taking martial arts classes in the dance room of a college in small town Iowa.
    I'm in a pretty small town. We've got a DZR school, a Karate school, a TKD school, a BJJ school, and a new MMA school. Karate doesn't interest me. I've taken BJJ before. I just finished with the DZR school. So, it came down to the MMA school and the TKD school. My walet chose the winner. Anyway, I think that TKD would be pretty cool because of the ability to spar, get in shape, and compete without the fear of injury that accompanies MMA. I can't afford to get a broken rib or a broken nose. Plus, I can't go in to work with bruises and a busted face.

Posted On:
    2/07/2013 7:15pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DerAuslander View Post
    Your mom was. I felled her with my sequoia.
    Others necro threads.

Errant, with his sliver, practices a more traditional type of necro.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/08/2013 5:07am

Style: Jhoon Rhee Tae-Kwon-Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My hometown has three schools. All Taekwondo. I picked the one with the 65 year old instructor reverse punching the hell out of teenagers. Not to mention, there are a few folks with grappling experience there. It's not the same as taking a good grappling class, but it's better than depending on "anti grappling" techniques.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/24/2013 2:46pm

Style: Taekwondo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

why

If you want to find out why people learn Tae Kwon Do then go and find out from a good school and not a McDojo that gives the art a bad name, in any art you get out of it what you put in.
    Learn to resolve a situation in many ways, from just calming the situation to keeping them away and destroying the offender with a single strike, or take them down and take them down hard.
    There are unfortunatly the schools that just teach you the flash side, but then you will only look good until your out cold.
    Last edited by ATKDA; 2/24/2013 2:48pm at . Reason: spelling
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123 4567 ... LastLast