218358 Bullies, 7691 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 121 to 126 of 126
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. Vieux Normand is offline

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    4,294

    Posted On:
    7/13/2013 2:21pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: 血鷲

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlMatt View Post
    There are a LOT of people who would disagree with you on that point.
    Are we referring to general-usage in terms of defining "martial art"? In this case some might argue for the inclusion of movies, poomse-to-music, "shaolin" circus tricks for paying audiences, kiddie-krotty, endless philosophizing and so on under that title.

    If we are going with a more etymological definition ("martial" pertaining to "combat"), the list of what might be included is likely to be far more restricted.
  2. Andrew WA is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Alabama
    Posts
    376

    Posted On:
    7/13/2013 3:30pm


     Style: Taekwondo/Eskrima

    0
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlMatt View Post
    There are a LOT of people who would disagree with you on that point.
    A lot of people go to mcdojangs, a lot of people do sport kroddy, a lot of people do many things. A lot of people does not equal a fact. That is an appeal to a majority or popularity and does not prove anything.
  3. ProjectAKO is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    12

    Posted On:
    8/05/2013 9:07am


     Style: TKD

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't really get the hate for TKD, but then again I don't fully understand this whole McDojo thing so I guess it maybe something to do with that. I'm in a small costal town in Australia so maybe it is something we have yet to see happen, dunno. My first club was a small one where we trained in a more traditional WTF TKD style (we retained use of our arms). We were not a full contact club admittedly, but that was also mostly due to insurance reasons, but we still sparred (light to no contact). We used the flappy paddles to develop speed and accuracy and used large body shields to help develop our power. We were in a community hall so we couldn't exactly hang up bags everywhere or even lay down matting on the floor so we were left to train on wooden floor boards (which also due to insurance reasons ment we were not allowed to really perform takedowns). Despite the 'sissyness' of the club I still enjoyed my training and gave me enough confidence to be able to avoid turning every confrontational situation I found myself in, into a fight. Does not mean my training has not come in useful. It has helped me defend myself from (I still dont know how to put this without it sound utterly stupid and ridiculous) sudden ambushes by spiders, random attacks from wild birds (feathered kind), flying (and falling) tree branches, and various other random attacks by native flora and fauna. Yes I know it sounds rather cliche (boards may not hit back, but in rural Australia, Mother Nature will try to hit you with a tree) and I wish I could say that I have used what I have learnt against another human instead of blasted animals and plants, but it is the sad honest truth of my situation. So while it may not be full contact, balls to the wall, make your opponent bleed type club, doesn't mean count it out. You may learn something, hell you may even have fun. Guess that goes for a lot of styles really. But then again, the whole Mc Dojo thing may just make my point invalid. Don't know.
  4. Miguksaram is offline
    Miguksaram's Avatar

    Day Tripper/Dream Weaver

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    3,528

    Posted On:
    8/06/2013 7:28am

    supporting member
     Style: Shorei-ryu & Kumdo & TKD

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Nice posting Project. However I have to ask why would you wish to use what you learn against anybody? That's like buying car insurance and then wanting to smash into someone to see if your coverage is really that good. If you have not had a chance to use it in a real life situation against a human, then good for you. You either live in a nice low crime area or you are just not a complete asshole looking for problems, either way kudos.


    BTW...I have seen some of the spiders from Australia...I much rather take on a human than one of those things.
    Jeremy M. Talbott

    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    "Bullshido isn't just a place to hang out when you're browsing the net. We really are trying to accomplish something fucking extraordinary here that nobody's ever had the balls to do before."
    Quote Originally Posted by D.Murray
    "Which is better, to learn the truth, or to enjoy the illusion of being right when you are not?"
    Quote Originally Posted by hangooknamja88 View Post
    My definition of Ki is our energy. it's rather hard to explain it in words. It's not some mystical type of energy like white people...


    SUPPORT BULLSHIDO!
  5. ProjectAKO is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    12

    Posted On:
    8/06/2013 10:27am


     Style: TKD

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm not saying I would LIKE to use it on another human, I hope I never have to. But when you say you study martial arts and the only thing you ever have defended yourself against are some plants and animals, peoples reactions tend to get a little imbarrasing and insulting (Oh really. Well I killed a spider the other day, with a shoe. Didn't need to spend 5 years studying some fighting style to do that. They start you off with little fuzzy spiders first or do you guys go hard core and start fighting them strait away. And how do you grapple with those guys? THAT I'd like to see. etc, etc, etc)
  6. Miguksaram is offline
    Miguksaram's Avatar

    Day Tripper/Dream Weaver

    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    3,528

    Posted On:
    8/06/2013 10:41am

    supporting member
     Style: Shorei-ryu & Kumdo & TKD

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ProjectAKO View Post
    I'm not saying I would LIKE to use it on another human, I hope I never have to. But when you say you study martial arts and the only thing you ever have defended yourself against are some plants and animals, peoples reactions tend to get a little imbarrasing and insulting (Oh really. Well I killed a spider the other day, with a shoe. Didn't need to spend 5 years studying some fighting style to do that. They start you off with little fuzzy spiders first or do you guys go hard core and start fighting them strait away. And how do you grapple with those guys? THAT I'd like to see. etc, etc, etc)
    Again, when your spiders look like this, Click image for larger version. 

Name:	australia2.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	22.5 KB 
ID:	15284
    I'd just assume tangle with a banger. ha.ha.ha
    Jeremy M. Talbott

    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    "Bullshido isn't just a place to hang out when you're browsing the net. We really are trying to accomplish something fucking extraordinary here that nobody's ever had the balls to do before."
    Quote Originally Posted by D.Murray
    "Which is better, to learn the truth, or to enjoy the illusion of being right when you are not?"
    Quote Originally Posted by hangooknamja88 View Post
    My definition of Ki is our energy. it's rather hard to explain it in words. It's not some mystical type of energy like white people...


    SUPPORT BULLSHIDO!
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3910111213

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.