Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 1213 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/10/2013 9:42pm

Style: aikido

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Miguksaram View Post
    I'm not trying to embarrass you. I am just curious simply because I have heard this many times. I have been involved in the Korean arts since '84. I have seen the shift in "old school" to "new school" to "if it feels right just do it". I personally feel that the art is a good one. It is not perfect, but can be effective. It just depends on the teacher.
    I know you're not trying to embarrass me, and I appreciate your courtesy. It's becoming more and more clear to me, now that people more convincing than Andrew are getting in on this, that I was being pretty ignorant, and I think my ignorance has gotten me into enough trouble. Where TKD is concerned, I think I'll do more lurking and less posting for a while.

Day Tripper/Dream Weaver

Posted On:
    6/11/2013 7:48am

supporting member
     Style: Shorei-ryu & Kumdo & TKD

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlMatt View Post
    I know you're not trying to embarrass me, and I appreciate your courtesy. It's becoming more and more clear to me, now that people more convincing than Andrew are getting in on this, that I was being pretty ignorant, and I think my ignorance has gotten me into enough trouble. Where TKD is concerned, I think I'll do more lurking and less posting for a while.
    I always invite insight into the art. While I have been involved in it for many years, I have also been involved in other arts which have helped me find the shortcomings in TKD, just TKD has helped me find shortcomings in the other arts that I have studied. Yes, there are people out there that are very passionate about the art and any blemish against it, they will take personally. When people question techniques or training methods, it allows me to take a step back and ask myself "why?" as well.

The original question to the whole thread was "Why TKD?" For me it was not the art, but the instructor that attracted me to it. His methods kept traditional training but he also offered insights on possible "what if" scenarios and how to adapt the techniques to be more effective. However, he would even say that when it is balls to the walls you will not know a TKD person from a karate person from a kung fu person because in a real situation form gets thrown out the window for the sake of survival.
    Jeremy M. Talbott

Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    "Bullshido isn't just a place to hang out when you're browsing the net. We really are trying to accomplish something fucking extraordinary here that nobody's ever had the balls to do before."
    Quote Originally Posted by D.Murray
    "Which is better, to learn the truth, or to enjoy the illusion of being right when you are not?"
    Quote Originally Posted by hangooknamja88 View Post
    My definition of Ki is our energy. it's rather hard to explain it in words. It's not some mystical type of energy like white people...

SUPPORT BULLSHIDO!

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/11/2013 2:08pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew WA View Post
    What part did you disagree with? Also he has some of his fights uploaded and he does very well even using Taekwondo in the fights.
    The comment about belts. It was too general. I, for example, use many different belts. That's just because when a kid comes close to a belt but missed a few things I give them a new "higher than they were but didn't quite make the cut", belt. I also don't really charge a testing fee. I only require that they pay for the cost of the test (belt cost and such).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/12/2013 4:53pm

Style: Taekwondo/Eskrima

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    The comment about belts. It was too general. I, for example, use many different belts. That's just because when a kid comes close to a belt but missed a few things I give them a new "higher than they were but didn't quite make the cut", belt. I also don't really charge a testing fee. I only require that they pay for the cost of the test (belt cost and such).
    I agree. I don't use the same 6 colors of belts either. There are 10 gup ranks so instead of having 2 yellows, 2 greens etc. I just use different colors for each gup rank. I do not charge a testing fee either at all. Just $5 for a belt and some money for the board. I also give out 1 black stripe per belt because I take forever to let people test so it makes them feel accomplished while waiting. Adults I do not give black tape, only kids.

I also disagree that TKD should be no more than $50 a month. I think with the economy and commercial schools having to pay rent it should be more. As long as you have decent equipment you can charge more and say the perks are using great gym equipment like the heavy bag etc factors into it. For me I am not responsible for the pricing since I work for a community center.

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/12/2013 5:52pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew WA View Post
    I agree. I don't use the same 6 colors of belts either. There are 10 gup ranks so instead of having 2 yellows, 2 greens etc. I just use different colors for each gup rank. I do not charge a testing fee either at all. Just $5 for a belt and some money for the board. I also give out 1 black stripe per belt because I take forever to let people test so it makes them feel accomplished while waiting. Adults I do not give black tape, only kids.

I also disagree that TKD should be no more than $50 a month. I think with the economy and commercial schools having to pay rent it should be more. As long as you have decent equipment you can charge more and say the perks are using great gym equipment like the heavy bag etc factors into it. For me I am not responsible for the pricing since I work for a community center.

Oh yeah that's the other one.

Day Tripper/Dream Weaver

Posted On:
    6/13/2013 8:28am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For belts I charge $50 for the first 3 ranks, $75 for the next three ranks, $100 for the 3rd gup, nothing for 2nd-1st gup and $200 for black belt. I work out of a health club so they are in charge of the pricing which is currently $45 for one class a week, $80 for two classes and $120 for three classes.

I charge for the testing fee for a couple of reasons, first, to cover cert and belt, second I set aside a specific day for belt testing and since I place value on my time, I charge for it, lastly when you place a monetary value on it people will be more serious about preparing for it. As far as my testing times are concerned the first belt test will be about 45 minutes. From then on it tends to increment about 15-20 minutes per belt. Our Jr. BB test is about 4 hours and adult bb test is about 6 hours. (Note: I have not raised anyone to this level yet. These times are based on what we did at the school I came from and so I will most likely follow that same structure)

I believe in charging what you are worth as long as you can deliver good quality material.
    Jeremy M. Talbott

"Bullshido isn't just a place to hang out when you're browsing the net. We really are trying to accomplish something fucking extraordinary here that nobody's ever had the balls to do before."
    "Which is better, to learn the truth, or to enjoy the illusion of being right when you are not?"
    My definition of Ki is our energy. it's rather hard to explain it in words. It's not some mystical type of energy like white people...

SUPPORT BULLSHIDO!

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/13/2013 11:39am

staff

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    *whips out e penis:
    Our Adult Black Belt test takes 10 hours long over 2 days and add one extra hour for each additional blackbelt that test. Just saying.

Day Tripper/Dream Weaver

Posted On:
    6/13/2013 11:54am

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    *whips out e penis:
    Our Adult Black Belt test takes 10 hours long over 2 days and add one extra hour for each additional blackbelt that test. Just saying.
    ~whips out a black man's penis~ Yeah...well...we bring in hookers for the black belts who are conducting the test.
    Jeremy M. Talbott

SUPPORT BULLSHIDO!

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/13/2013 12:11pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Miguksaram View Post
    ~whips out a black man's penis~ Yeah...well...we bring in hookers for the black belts who are conducting the test.
    *Whips out horse penis.

We don't pay for our sex. Women just show up and throw themselves at us.

Day Tripper/Dream Weaver

Posted On:
    6/13/2013 12:20pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    *Whips out horse penis.

We don't pay for our sex. Women just show up and throw themselves at us.
    ~whips out a whale penis~ Well played pare...well played.
    Jeremy M. Talbott

SUPPORT BULLSHIDO!
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 1213 LastLast