Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 111213 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/10/2013 7:58am

Style: aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Andrew did mention him earlier, to be fair.
    Last edited by OwlMatt; 6/10/2013 8:02am at .

Day Tripper/Dream Weaver

Posted On:
    6/10/2013 8:32am

supporting member
     Style: Shorei-ryu & Kumdo & TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlMatt View Post
    I wasn't talking about bring a pro fighter either. I'm talking about the belief that taekwondo is -- or even ever was -- an effective fighting or self-defense system. I have never seen any evidence that supports this belief.
    Why do you feel it cannot be used as an effective fighting or self defense system?
    Jeremy M. Talbott

Quote Originally Posted by Phrost
    "Bullshido isn't just a place to hang out when you're browsing the net. We really are trying to accomplish something fucking extraordinary here that nobody's ever had the balls to do before."
    Quote Originally Posted by D.Murray
    "Which is better, to learn the truth, or to enjoy the illusion of being right when you are not?"
    Quote Originally Posted by hangooknamja88 View Post
    My definition of Ki is our energy. it's rather hard to explain it in words. It's not some mystical type of energy like white people...

SUPPORT BULLSHIDO!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/10/2013 8:56am

Style: aikido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't mean to blow your question off, Miguksaram, but I've embarrassed myself enough in this thread.
    Last edited by OwlMatt; 6/10/2013 9:01am at .

Day Tripper/Dream Weaver

Posted On:
    6/10/2013 9:01am

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To say that taekwondo clubs have "sold out" and don't teach realistic fighting anymore, you must first assert that taekwondo was ever a realistic fighting system. I think you'd have a hard time providing any strong evidence for that.
    Actually if you look at the ROK Marines during Vietnam, any unarmed combat was TKD. Go to some of the more seedier areas of Korea and you will see TKD being used in realistic defense and offense (not all the time mind you but it happens). Even if you see it will you know it is TKD being used in a realistic situation?

I think the shift toward sport in taekwondo is a good thing. I think it encourages taekwondo players to focus on taekwondo's real benefits -- that is, physical fitness and opportunity for competition -- rather than the unrealistic dream of becoming a fighter. You become a fighter by fighting, not by training in a taekwondo dojang.
    There are a lot more benefits to TKD than what you have mentioned, but I agree the only way to become a good fighter is to fight. It doesn't matter what system you study, if you want to be a fighter, you have to fight.
    Jeremy M. Talbott

"Bullshido isn't just a place to hang out when you're browsing the net. We really are trying to accomplish something fucking extraordinary here that nobody's ever had the balls to do before."
    "Which is better, to learn the truth, or to enjoy the illusion of being right when you are not?"
    My definition of Ki is our energy. it's rather hard to explain it in words. It's not some mystical type of energy like white people...

SUPPORT BULLSHIDO!

Day Tripper/Dream Weaver

Posted On:
    6/10/2013 9:06am

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't mean to blow your question off, Miguksaram, but I've embarrassed myself enough in this thread.
    I'm not trying to embarrass you. I am just curious simply because I have heard this many times. I have been involved in the Korean arts since '84. I have seen the shift in "old school" to "new school" to "if it feels right just do it". I personally feel that the art is a good one. It is not perfect, but can be effective. It just depends on the teacher.
    Jeremy M. Talbott

SUPPORT BULLSHIDO!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/10/2013 2:01pm

Style: Taekwondo/Eskrima

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Miguksaram View Post
    I'm not trying to embarrass you. I am just curious simply because I have heard this many times. I have been involved in the Korean arts since '84. I have seen the shift in "old school" to "new school" to "if it feels right just do it". I personally feel that the art is a good one. It is not perfect, but can be effective. It just depends on the teacher.
    Thank you! That is exactly the point I was making! But OwlMatt would not listen or take it as anything convincing. Oh well!

I remember when my first TKD teacher in Oregon taught more basic and hard Taekwondo with a focus on self defense escapes, and one steps that were more "combatives" style. Later my instructor changed his school's name and sold out and became a total mcdojang during my time. I got my black belt and went to the junior olympics under that teacher. But I tested for black belt at his teachers gym. His teacher was a highly respected 9th dan Kukkiwon grandmaster who had a history of teaching Korean/Vietnamese/American special forces during the war. The man was in his late 60's and he is now dead. But he also had a high ranked black belt in Judo and specifically wanted it to be known Taekwondo is a Martial Art first and a sport second. In fact he asked me a question "What is Taekwondo?" during my 1st dan test and I had to answer that it was a system of fighting and martial art, and then after that it is also a sport. Thus my conclusion that the original intention of Taekwondo was for combat and not just to make a kicking sport and poomsae competition.

Since then I trained under another Korean 9th dan in Kentucky who also died. His attitude was similar and very harsh. He had 2 sons who are total badasses as well and each also run their own schools. But who knows they could possibly have turned mcdojang for the money but it does not negate their skill.

The problem is people need money and they want to live off of Taekwondo. Lots of times it is hard to get people to stick with training if it is too hard then bills come. So they "sell out" and stop teaching the hardcore aspects of Taekwondo and focus on sparring and poomsae competition and doing demos that are very flashy. I just took the more serious attitudes that rubbed off onto me from my training history and now teach that way to my students.
    Last edited by Andrew WA; 6/10/2013 2:06pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/10/2013 2:24pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    TAekwondo flashy kicks can hurt people if used at the right moment. You can catch people off guard, all though it is rare to accomplish such a thing it does happen and here is proof:

And here is a guy on youtube who is a Taekwondo fighter who is also an MMA fighter and has a fight record. He explains his opinion about why Taekwondo is a great style for fighting and if used right works. He explains the pros and cons of Taekwondo. This is part 2 of his talk on traditional martial arts in MMA.

Annnnnd just for the sake of total cuteness to lighten up the mood here this is another reason Taekwondo is super effective!!!

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/10/2013 2:52pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew WA View Post
    Thank you! That is exactly the point I was making! But OwlMatt would not listen or take it as anything convincing. Oh well!
    Nothing you wrote was as succinct as Migurks post. Now, stop with the logical fallacies.
    TAekwondo flashy kicks can hurt people if used at the right moment. You can catch people off guard, all though it is rare to accomplish such a thing it does happen and here is proof:
    You are now venturing into high and low percentage techniques. That is an entirely different discussion. Oh and you nutriding cheerleading led to this debacle. Yes, in the same vein as a chunner.

Administrator

Posted On:
    6/10/2013 3:01pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew WA View Post

And here is a guy on youtube who is a Taekwondo fighter who is also an MMA fighter and has a fight record. He explains his opinion about why Taekwondo is a great style for fighting and if used right works. He explains the pros and cons of Taekwondo. This is part 2 of his talk on traditional martial arts in MMA.

Annnnnd just for the sake of total cuteness to lighten up the mood here this is another reason Taekwondo is super effective!!!
    There was only one thing I disagreed with about his comments but we need to recruit this guy.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/10/2013 8:36pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    There was only one thing I disagreed with about his comments but we need to recruit this guy.
    What part did you disagree with? Also he has some of his fights uploaded and he does very well even using Taekwondo in the fights.
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 111213 LastLast