Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    5/24/2013 10:13pm

Style: BBT/BJJ/CJKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by vaquero de las nalgas View Post
    Truer words could not be spoken. For very good ninja book there are ten bad ones.

Turnbull has solid academic credentials. He stuck to the historic record, as much as he could. Kacem Zoughari did a decent job until the last couple of chapters of his book...

Antony Cummins, well, he seems to have a chip on his shoulder and refuses to footnote his work, which I find astonishing for someone with an MA.

The most recent Shoninki translation by Donald Roley is pretty good so far.
    Did Roley publish? Or did he post to the Interwebz? I'd read his translation.

As hard as it is for me to swallow this, my position on Cummins may be softening. Although I would consider him "sensational" and I, too, am bothered by his less-than-rigorous methods... I'm slowly coming to the conclusion that he's probably no worse than the other popular history writers. I'm still trying to find a local library that carries one of his books so I can sample one without putting more money in his pocket; but I suspect I will hold my nose and purchase his Bansenshukai in order to give him an honest review.

Posted On:
    5/24/2013 10:16pm

Style: BBT/BJJ/CJKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    Speaking of covert WW2 tales of the Philippines:

Filipino nationals and Americans were fighting the Japanese as well, on account of the PI being ruled by America at the time due to the Spanish American war. Among them was Sergeant Leo Giron (Filipino American). The DBMA Grandfathers Speak video features him telling a few stories about this time. One was that they'd sneak into Japanese bases in the jungle and puncture their food tins with a very tiny hole, so they'd spoil and everyone would get the shits. He also recounts a story about fighting a man bolo vs katana (and a third guy with a bayonet that was dealt with by someone else).

Pretty ninja stuff.
    Word.

Although one does have to wonder if the stories have grown in the retelling. But that would be pretty ninja too, and does not diminish the badassedness of fighting the Japanese with bolos and true grit.

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    1/17/2014 1:46pm

supporting member
     Style: (Hung Ga+BJJ+MT+JKD) ^ Qi

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    RIP Hiroo. The world has lost one hardcore ************, even if he was the enemy.

We forgive you Hiroo, and tales of your badassery will always be legend in the Rabbit household.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/01/17/world/...html?hpt=hp_t2

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/23/2014 9:05pm

Style: Hapkido/Aiki Jujutsu/ BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    I'm sure Hatsumi is furious.

It's only been a few years since Hatsumi had a big CNN exclusive about being the "last ninja", and this historian instead credits a spy-soldier who hid in the jungle for 30 years as being the "Last Ninja".

Didn't this guy realize he was not gathering useful intelligence after say 20 of those 30 years? What possible intelligence could he be gathering about a war that ended 20+ years ago?

Still a badass though.

zero

Posted On:
    1/23/2014 9:35pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by zerosum79 View Post
    Didn't this guy realize he was not gathering useful intelligence after say 20 of those 30 years? What possible intelligence could he be gathering about a war that ended 20+ years ago?
    In the 30 years he continued to kill soldiers and police with guerrilla attacks, sabotaging facilities, and bombing transport ships.

He was not truly fighting alone until 1972, when the last member of his team was killed by police. He still fought the last three years completely solo.

Posted On:
    1/24/2014 12:41pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In the 30 years he continued to kill soldiers and police with guerrilla attacks, sabotaging facilities, and bombing transport ships.

He was not truly fighting alone until 1972, when the last member of his team was killed by police. He still fought the last three years completely solo.
    So basically he was murdering innocent people after the war ended, kinda sounds like a douche-bag to me.

Posted On:
    1/24/2014 1:33pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bneterasedmynam View Post
    So basically he was murdering innocent people after the war ended, kinda sounds like a douche-bag to me.
    It depends on your point of view. It's easy to say this from the comfort of your computer chair.

The next time you are stranded on an enemy island and being hunted, you tell me whether or not it matters "the war is over".

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    1/24/2014 1:43pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    THEY DREW FIRST BLOOD!

Posted On:
    1/24/2014 2:21pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It depends on your point of view. It's easy to say this from the comfort of your computer chair.

The next time you are stranded on an enemy island and being hunted, you tell me whether or not it matters "the war is over".
    An enemy island that he went to as an invading force. But yes I can see your point about the being hunted part if it is in the fact the reason, my understanding was that he refused to believe that Japan would ever surrender and took it upon himself to keep fighting. Now if that's the case then the being hunted part was somewhat justified.

Posted On:
    1/24/2014 2:50pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    An enemy island that he went to as an invading force. But yes I can see your point about the being hunted part if it is in the fact the reason, my understanding was that he refused to believe that Japan would ever surrender and took it upon himself to keep fighting. Now if that's the case then the being hunted part was somewhat justified.
    Remember, he was an intelligence officer. They tried for years to convince him to surrender with leaflets and "propaganda". Their lack of success in apprehending him probably convinced him even further the war was still going on. How else could his campaign be so successful? He probably just figured when and if the war ended, he'd finally be found and killed. But no, he was able to operate with impunity for three decades.

Remember, he did not surrender to the Philippine government. They were on hand to ensure his protection and extradition. His commanding officer was brought out to the island 30 years later, and he relieved Hiroo of his duties. Up until that moment, Hiroo was following his orders, which quite frankly were military in nature. He was not attacking civilians, he was harassing military and government targets.

Remember, he was ordered never to surrender or commit suicide and to continue fighting until he died or was relieved by his own forces, which is what he did.

That is bushido, or nothing is.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast