Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    2/05/2013 11:12pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    When I wrestled as an 18-20 year old, I regularly cut 7-9 kg to make weight. When I started out, I did it by cutting water weight.

Later, I found that my performance during matches greatly benefited from a slow incremental cut over 2 weeks as opposed to cutting that much water weight 2-3 days before the match. I did this by limiting my calorie intake. Basically, I made sure I burned more calories than I ate every day. The key to doing this without feeling like a zombie is to ensure the differential is not too great. If you burn 2000 calories in a day, make sure you eat 1700. Obviously this is a rough approximation.

I know that cutting 15 kg in 5 weeks is not an easy task for someone who is A. not terribly experienced at weight cutting, and B. not significantly overweight in the first place.

My (dated) advice is to find out how many calories you're burning on a daily basis and take steps to ensure you're eating 10-15% less calories than that every day. When I was that age, I did this by weighing myself 3 times a day, morning, noon and night. After establishing a baseline, I made sure I lost a little weight every day. It was usually no more than a quarter kilo.

Slow, incremental loss is the key to maintaining cardio and strength while continuing to drop weight. You'll still feel like hell sometimes, but that's what happens when you go calorie negative on a regular basis.

This knowledge is 20 years old, so if Alex, ChenPengFi or Sang disagrees, listen to them.

Posted On:
    2/05/2013 11:35pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp View Post
    This knowledge is 20 years old, so if Alex, ChenPengFi or Sang disagrees, listen to them.
    I agree 100%.
    I also think the goal should be a little more conservative; say
    "Let's train smart for this, my first comp, and try to do my best, not get hurt, and learn a lot"
    rather than the current
    "I will shrivel myself into looking like a boiled horse, to win a gold medal in my first comp."

At BF, the Bernardot book i linked to actually has different meal plans based on caloric intake and types of demand.

Posted On:
    2/05/2013 11:55pm

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    On the advice of many (although there have also been many that say I could easily do it) I have looked into changing the weight category to Heavy. Still have about 8-9kg to lose if I can change the division.
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.

Posted On:
    2/06/2013 3:03am

Style: MMA, Yoga

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp View Post

Still good advise, you need an iron will to handle a large calorie deficit for long.

The only issue i find with closely following weight changes every day is the carbohydrate weight fluctuations. After my 2 big meals on the weekend i'll bounce up at least 10 pounds before the Monday in glycogen water weight and slowly lose this through the week.

Good idea switching weight classes Battlefields, at white belt i wouldn't even care if you come in at the bottom of the weight. No reason to make it more stressful than it should be, its a game of soccer on the weekend.
    "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
    Kenny Weldon

Posted On:
    2/06/2013 9:17am

Join us... or die
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by battlefields View Post
    On the advice of many (although there have also been many that say I could easily do it) I have looked into changing the weight category to Heavy. Still have about 8-9kg to lose if I can change the division.
    That's a good call. Now you can spend the time enjoying the competition.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    2/06/2013 9:52am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Wrestling, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bought the Gracies diet book, it works real well for a lifestyle. Found it hard at first.
    I wrestled, all my boys wrestled and raw veggies worked fairly well, and meals no larger than the fist really work.

There is some awesome advice on this in this thread, but for you-good luck. Remember the story about Daniel wanting to be fed vegetables for 10 days, that works if you add some egg whites, small amounts of meat, pasta when it is timely but portions that are small. One guy here swears to "Ruby Reds", also, who knows. Good luck amigo.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/06/2013 2:41pm

Style: punch on artist

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    same day weigh in ?

Posted On:
    2/06/2013 6:41pm

forum leader

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yep. So I will have to be under when I get there. Mr Miyagi is asking whether it is morning weigh in or mat weigh in.

Posted On:
    2/06/2013 10:36pm

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yep. So I will have to be under when I get there. Mr Miyagi is asking whether it is morning weigh in or mat weigh in.
    Let me know when you know, I'll be entering this one as well.

Also, no gi intermediate - what are the leg lock rules?
    "Boxing is the art of hitting an opponent from the furthest distance away, exposing the least amount of your body while getting into position to punch with maximum leverage and not getting hit."
    Kenny Weldon

Posted On:
    2/06/2013 10:40pm

forum leader

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    qbjjc.com.au has a pdf download available for the rules under the "Championships" header.

Also, if you get the chance, please check in here and give me your thoughts, Sang:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...97#post2759097
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast