Welterweight

Posted On:
    2/04/2013 10:57am

supporting member
     Style: Taiji/Hsingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Sensei M Ramathas Isshin Ryu.

Hello, forgive a CMA-ist his whimsy and for wandering into your world but I have a question.

Does anyone on this board know of Sensei M Ramathas 4th Dan Isshin Ryu? Has anyone trained with him and or able to verify his rank/legitimacy?

I ask because my job is as a premises manager and he has shown an interest in hiring space from us. I don't want anyone suspect here.

The website on his card goes nowhere... goshinisshinryu.com

His card also has has: Isshin-ryu World Karate Association-Okinawa-Japan which when I googled came up with this: http://www.isshinryukarate.com/
    this org has over 40,000 members worldwide so I get the feeling membership does not confer legitimacy.

Unfortunately my bosses are less concerned by any 'dubious authenticity' than I am, as long as they get paid. Unless that is, I can show something is up.

If indeed anything is up.

Edit: He is listed as a 3rd Dan on the above org. So i guess that means he has certified rank from Sensei Kichiro Shimabuku? Which I guess shifts my questions to him.

Not asking for anything in depth, just a 'yeah their OK' from someone on here that knows their stuff..cheers.
    Last edited by Resonance10; 2/04/2013 11:08am at .

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    2/04/2013 11:17am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Resonance10 View Post
    Edit: He is listed as a 3rd Dan on the above org. So i guess that means he has certified rank from Sensei Kichiro Shimabuku? Which I guess shifts my questions to him.
    Kichiro Shimabuku is the son of the founder of Isshin-ryu, Tatsuo Shimabuku.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    2/04/2013 11:19am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DerAuslander View Post
    Kichiro Shimabuku is the son of the founder of Isshin-ryu, Tatsuo Shimabuku.
    Thank you.

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    2/04/2013 1:32pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Does this guys hold any UK governing body membership, like through Sport England ?

Can he demonstrate full public liability insurance ?

Ask him to provide both his PLI certificate and copies of his dan grade certificates as evidence of his standing Karate-do.

Has he attended any formal teaching qualifications to teach Karate ?

Is he intending (or currently) teaching children? if so he should be CRB cleared. Ask him for a copy.

Once you start asking for this stuff, it will be easy to test his integrity.

Dave
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

~Ella Wheeler

Welterweight

Posted On:
    2/04/2013 1:50pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock Ape View Post
    Does this guys hold any UK governing body membership, like through Sport England ?

Can he demonstrate full public liability insurance ?

Ask him to provide both his PLI certificate and copies of his dan grade certificates as evidence of his standing Karate-do.

Has he attended any formal teaching qualifications to teach Karate ?

Is he intending (or currently) teaching children? if so he should be CRB cleared. Ask him for a copy.

Once you start asking for this stuff, it will be easy to test his integrity.

Dave
    All good points thanks.

Unfortunately I don't get to decide on the Terms and Conditions of our hire contract. I believe we only shift liability from ourselves to the hirer, but will have to check tomorrow when I go in.

My remit is the day to day running of the place.
    I have however moved a TKD club and a religious sect off premises. It took me a while to convince my bosses that it needed to happen though.

The bold in your post I will be asking. There is no mention on his business card of either. It does say he is the President, Chief Instructor and Examiner.

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    2/04/2013 2:23pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One of the problems you face is that Karate in the UK is heavily fragmented with all manner of organisations claiming governing body yada yada yada. None of it really establishes credibility.

The issue for you as a potential property lender is, that he as the instructor is suitably insured and qualified to teach the subject for which the premises hire is intended. Although I hate to say it, this is business and his legitimacy as a teacher of good standards is actually less important to you right now. Your primary aim should be his liability insurance, certificates of dan grades and CRB if he's teaching kiddies.

Everything else is superfluous (at this stage) Remember this is business. *IF* you later discover he's a tit, teaching rubbish, then you can do something about it.
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

~Ella Wheeler

Welterweight

Posted On:
    2/04/2013 2:50pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock Ape View Post
    One of the problems you face is that Karate in the UK is heavily fragmented with all manner of organisations claiming governing body yada yada yada. None of it really establishes credibility.

The issue for you as a potential property lender is, that he as the instructor is suitably insured and qualified to teach the subject for which the premises hire is intended. Although I hate to say it, this is business and his legitimacy as a teacher of good standards is actually less important to you right now. Your primary aim should be his liability insurance, certificates of dan grades and CRB if he's teaching kiddies.

Everything else is superfluous (at this stage) Remember this is business. *IF* you later discover he's a tit, teaching rubbish, then you can do something about it.
    Agreed.
    I don't get to make the call on the business end of it. However if I were to say to my employers "this guy is not legit" before the money roles in I'd have a better chance at forestalling it. That's the main reason I'm asking.
    Once he's a paying customer it will be harder, unless he's actually doing bad things.
    I'm hoping he's cool but I guess I'll have to wait to find out.

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    2/04/2013 4:47pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What reason do you have to think that he's not legit?