I'm Svelte!

Posted On:
    2/04/2013 8:59am

supporting member
     Style: mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Seriously OP

read some of the recent gun control threads that have been doing the rounds recently
    Considered in the abstract the boxing ring is an altar of sorts, one of those legendary spaces where the laws of a nation are suspended: inside the ropes, during an officially regulated three-minute round, a man may be killed by his opponent's hands but he cannot be legally murdered. Boxing inhabits a sacred space predating civilization; or, to use D.H. Lawrence's phrase, before God was love. If it suggests a savage ceremony or a rite of atonement it also suggests the futility of such gestures. For what possible atonement is the fight waged if it must shortly be waged again... and again? The boxing match is the very image, the more terrifying for being so stylized, of mankind's collective aggression; its ongoing historical madness.
    Joyce Carol Oates, On Boxing

Posted On:
    2/04/2013 9:01am

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You guys forgot about sharpened sticks. Oh and rocks, those are dangerous too. Actually though didn't England do this already??

I'm Svelte!

Posted On:
    2/04/2013 9:18am

supporting member
     Style: mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    In Ireland I need a permit for a paintball gun (?)
    Considered in the abstract the boxing ring is an altar of sorts, one of those legendary spaces where the laws of a nation are suspended: inside the ropes, during an officially regulated three-minute round, a man may be killed by his opponent's hands but he cannot be legally murdered. Boxing inhabits a sacred space predating civilization; or, to use D.H. Lawrence's phrase, before God was love. If it suggests a savage ceremony or a rite of atonement it also suggests the futility of such gestures. For what possible atonement is the fight waged if it must shortly be waged again... and again? The boxing match is the very image, the more terrifying for being so stylized, of mankind's collective aggression; its ongoing historical madness.
    Joyce Carol Oates, On Boxing

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/04/2013 9:27am

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock Ape View Post
    Yeah but that the **** do we do about Zombies ?
    Yeah, they will never give up their pockets!
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    2/04/2013 9:28am

staff

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bneterasedmynam View Post
    You guys forgot about sharpened sticks. Oh and rocks, those are dangerous too. Actually though didn't England do this already??
    I hear that harsh words really are effective.
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

~Ella Wheeler

Posted On:
    2/04/2013 9:41am

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by doofaloofa View Post
    In Ireland I need a permit for a paintball gun (?)
    In all fairness do you realize just how much damage a paintball gun could do to this guy??Click image for larger version. 

Name:	leprechaun7.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	25.6 KB 
ID:	14446

Posted On:
    2/04/2013 9:43am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock Ape View Post
    I hear that harsh words really are effective.
    Yes, but the anti-gun people say we can just call the cops and wait....and wait and wait.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/04/2013 10:22am

Style: Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by mike321 View Post
    Why? Please elaborate. I disagree because I think it is a intrinsic individual human right to own a weapon. I believe government should not usurp and monopolize that right. I also believe it is a dangerous right (like all individual rights) that causes immense pain and suffering (like all individual rights) to people periodically and that it is cold comfort to tell people that freedom is the price for the pain they are in. Nonetheless freedom is a very valuable thing that we should not let go of. Freedom is dangerous, chaotic, and scary but it is something so few humans get to have. So there is my thoughts. Also, ALL aspects of freedom are dangerous. Words can lead to violence, assembling in large crowds can bring violence, not randomly searching people's houses leads to huge amounts of criminal activity that is not stopped.
    He's not saying you can't own a weapon. He's just limiting your rate of fire.

Wouldn't hindering people's effectiveness at killing cause a reduction of casualties in mass murder situations? It wouldn't make the numbers go higher.

Often there's an argument that knives and other weapons kill also, so why not ban them too, but frankly I see it as an apples and oranges argument. Take this, for example: http://www.cbc.ca/m/touch/canada/sto...ng-victim.html

A guy goes on a rampage with a knife and a hammer through an apartment building, and no one died. Would there have been a difference if he was carrying guns? We can only speculate, but I would think that there would have been at least one death, and more if we're talking about something with a really high rate of fire.

Also, I'm reminded of this:

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/04/2013 10:35am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by huge View Post

Wouldn't hindering people's effectiveness at killing cause a reduction of casualties in mass murder situations? It wouldn't make the numbers go higher.

Often there's an argument that knives and other weapons kill also, so why not ban them too, but frankly I see it as an apples and oranges argument. Take this, for example: http://www.cbc.ca/m/touch/canada/sto...ng-victim.html

A guy goes on a rampage with a knife and a hammer through an apartment building, and no one died. Would there have been a difference if he was carrying guns? We can only speculate, but I would think that there would have been at least one death, and more if we're talking about something with a really high rate of fire.
    Meh, we could do this all day.

http://www.asianews.it/news-en/Man-w...hool-1979.html
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/04/2013 10:39am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by huge View Post
    Oh, and no, I don't think that is what he is saying. Since rate of fire is how fast a weapon can fire it's projectiles. As in rounds per minute or rounds per second. He said that the right to cary a firearm should be limited to LEO and security guards. Not that they should be forced to shoot slower.
    Combatives training log.

Drum thread

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast