Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    2/05/2013 7:24am

Style: Boxing,Kickboxing K1

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashkuff View Post
    Side note: DO they want to promote an agenda of peaceful coexistence?

--- Ashkuff | www.ashkuff.com | How to use anthropology, in business and ADVENTURE!!!!
    Yes the media here is known to be very lefty. The reports are extremely one sided. If a settler attacked an arab it will get massive media coverage, when it goes the other way it seems they don't give a **** (dog bites man, man bites dog).

Posted On:
    2/05/2013 7:33am

Style: Boxing,Kickboxing K1

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Russians here are typically right wing, i told you the news is typically left wing...you can ask them if you think im wrong. Where do they live? Ashdod?

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/05/2013 10:16am

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My question for Bullshido: what's that suggest about our understanding of violence, within our own community? Further, how much/little do you know about violence in your own community?
    Interesting questions. It would seem to suggest that people have a lack of understanding of their own role in protecting themselves.

I guess it depends on what your definition of community is. If it is my work place: I'm one of the more "violent" people in my office. But then I will need a definition of "violent" because I fight for fun, not out of anger. I'm violent but one of the calmer and more laid back person around. Now if community is the people who I come in contact with on the river when we are kayaking and drinking: the drunk, redneck, river rats, are a very unstable community. Violence is at a constant breaking point. And yet, cops are not involved because everyone polices their own. If community is the neighborhood that I live in: my understanding of violence is only what directly effects me. I think there is a lot going on within a mile of my house that I know nothing about.

So, I think a lot of it is relative to other veriables.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/05/2013 3:01pm

Style: Boxer, Grappler, Fencer

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
    In the age of Google, kids with smart phones, and toddlers that can work an Ipad I would find it very hard to believe that one wouldn't even think to "bother with other resources".

I'll assume for a second that the majority of people with access to said resources just wouldn't think to bother; I still think the chance of them stumbling across other sources is extremely high. Hopefully, seeing these possibly different views would get the ball rolling.

So, what exactly would you like to happen? In what ways and what agencies would you like to see advertise statistics? Why?
    Good generational points. Yet, even among the most tech savvy of us, what of those who're used to getting their news RSS'd from HuffPost and the like? With all the pre-structured crime stories they recieve, they might (mistakenly?) think they're pretty well informed, and never think to Google FBI crime stats.

As for my desires? Might be cool if the FBI paid their press correspondents more. You know, make sure crime figures make the news more often and more clearly.

--- Ashkuff | www.ashkuff.com | How to use anthropology, in business and ADVENTURE!!!!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/05/2013 3:05pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_tke View Post
    Interesting questions. It would seem to suggest that people have a lack of understanding of their own role in protecting themselves.

I guess it depends on what your definition of community is. If it is my work place: I'm one of the more "violent" people in my office. But then I will need a definition of "violent" because I fight for fun, not out of anger. I'm violent but one of the calmer and more laid back person around. Now if community is the people who I come in contact with on the river when we are kayaking and drinking: the drunk, redneck, river rats, are a very unstable community. Violence is at a constant breaking point. And yet, cops are not involved because everyone polices their own. If community is the neighborhood that I live in: my understanding of violence is only what directly effects me. I think there is a lot going on within a mile of my house that I know nothing about.

So, I think a lot of it is relative to other veriables.
    Just wanted to say that, as an anthropologist, I totally appreciate your eye for relativism. I suppose, in my context, I'm refering to my "academic community" at University of Florida.

---Ashkuff | www.ashkuff.com | How to use anthropology, in business and ADVENTURE!!!!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/05/2013 3:11pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by erezb View Post
    Yes the media here is known to be very lefty. The reports are extremely one sided. If a settler attacked an arab it will get massive media coverage, when it goes the other way it seems they don't give a **** (dog bites man, man bites dog).
    Wow, seriously? Our media does a lot of "Arabs started some trouble again, and Israel is over reacting again. What's with those guys?!" Very conflict-centric reporting.

---Ashkuff | www.ashkuff.com | How to use anthropology, in business and ADVENTURE!!!!

Middleweight

Posted On:
    2/05/2013 3:55pm

supporting member
     Style: being less stupid

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Re: How little do you know about violence in your own community?

Good generational points. Yet, even among the most tech savvy of us, what of those who're used to getting their news RSS'd from HuffPost and the like? With all the pre-structured crime stories they recieve, they might (mistakenly?) think they're pretty well informed, and never think to Google FBI crime stats.
    I just don't think that takes the blame off the person. The FBI can run all the ads they want in a clear and concise manner, who's to say somebody on HuffPost will receive it? What if the FBI doesn't advertise on every single source people get their news from?
    Start a training log!

Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist View Post
    i really think that those who can't get their head around the bowing thing (because their angry sky daddy will punish them) don't deserve judo. life is full of choices, and if your bronze age superstitions are holding you back, so be it.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/05/2013 4:39pm

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just wanted to say that, as an anthropologist, I totally appreciate your eye for relativism. I suppose, in my context, I'm refering to my "academic community" at University of Florida.

Oh yeah. I see what you mean. They are some of my favorite types of people because they live in a bubble. And when it explodes, are shocked! Similar people think that the police are supposed to be there to protect them when crime happens. And get pissed off when no one shows up. Like superman flying in to save the day. Where were the cops!!!
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/07/2013 12:28pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
    I just don't think that takes the blame off the person. The FBI can run all the ads they want in a clear and concise manner, who's to say somebody on HuffPost will receive it? What if the FBI doesn't advertise on every single source people get their news from?
    I agree. It doesn't shift blame. Yet, for me, it's not about blame placing. It's about achieving a goal - informing the public - regardless of who's fault current public ignorance is.

I'll use myself as an example. I'm a uni-educated anthropologist, who grew up in a boxing gym and saw a lot of street violence as a kid. I'd say I had an above-average shot at not blindly relying on the media to describe violence to me.

Yet, I was under the misconception that police made at least one, if not several, arrests for every *reported* violent crime. (At least I knew that lots of violence goes unreported.)

So where'd that misconception come from? Maybe too many episodes of Bones and CSI? Maybe lopsided personal experience (b/c I've seen lots of arrests)?" Who knows?

All I know is that, when I Googled "ratio of violent crimes to arrests," it took me around fifteen minutes to find the FBI reports, single out the stats I needed, and derive them into the ratio above.

By internet standards, fifteen minutes is like a century.
    There's gotta be a quicker way.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    3/26/2013 11:54pm

supporting member
     Style: Short Fist Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hmmm. Sounds about right, to me. But I wonder, where'd that description come from? Have you seen it happen, yourself? Or is it a narrative from the news? Just wonderin.

I did have a gun pulled on me by a group of guys once in a scenario similar to the one I described. It was a long time ago..but it was the only time I've ever been threatened directly with a gun, so I remember it well.
    My brother in law still goes clubbing, and he was witness to the last incident we had here downtown. It unfolded pretty much as I described.
    So it is a bit of a narrative, but not just something out of a news report. I'm generalizing my own experiences and that of other eyewitnesses to incidents in this city.
    " If one wants to have a friend one must also want to wage war for him: and to wage war one must be capable of being an enemy." - Fr. Nietzsche 'On The Friend' Thus Spake Zarathustra
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast