Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/04/2013 10:48am

Style: Boxer, Grappler, Fencer

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
    Damn dude, you don't have any organization that publishes these stats?
    Even if they do have such an organization, would it necessarily matter?

Like, in my community, the FBI publishes such stats on their website. Yet, those stats are poorly advertised for, a little inconvenient to access, and thus poorly circulated. Therefore, most people get their understanding of crime from the media, which is conveniently broadcast into their living rooms.

--- Ashkuff | www.ashkuff.com | How to use anthropology, in business and ADVENTURE!!!!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/04/2013 10:53am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by erezb View Post
    If for example in jerusalem Israel the media wants to promote an agenda of a peaceful co existence between Arabs and Jews, they won't publish stories that involve any hate crimes.
    Side note: DO they want to promote an agenda of peaceful coexistence?

--- Ashkuff | www.ashkuff.com | How to use anthropology, in business and ADVENTURE!!!!

Middleweight

Posted On:
    2/04/2013 11:14am

supporting member
     Style: yoga/bodyweight mainly

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Re: How little do you know about violence in your own community?

Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    It is quite common for countries to have very tight control over their media outlets. The level of propaganda in some countries is down right criminal.
    Is this the case with Israel?
    Start a training log!

Middleweight

Posted On:
    2/04/2013 11:20am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Quote Originally Posted by Ashkuff View Post
    Even if they do have such an organization, would it necessarily matter?
    That would depend on who you ask most likely. If the person doesn't have the inclination to find out then it's obvious that person either doesn't care or is too lazy to look, imo.

Like, in my community, the FBI publishes such stats on their website. Yet, those stats are poorly advertised for, a little inconvenient to access, and thus poorly circulated. Therefore, most people get their understanding of crime from the media, which is conveniently broadcast into their living rooms.
    Okay, on one hand I think it would be good for agencies such as the FBI to "advertise" these statistics in some fashion; on the other hand I feel it should be fairly obvious where one needs to look to find such information. Even if someone's first thought wasn't an LEO agency a quick google search would likely take them straight to what they want to know.

Edit: I would like to add that in this country people are far too dependant on our government or others and if we keep handing **** out left and right, babying them, they have no incentive to change. So I don't necessarily pity people that have the resources available to them to get what they need/want yet choose not to.
    Start a training log!

Yours truly

Posted On:
    2/04/2013 10:15pm

Business Class Supporting Member
     PDS Rifles Style: Univ. Florida Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ace, when the HECK did you join bullshido??? Welcome!
    www.pdsrifles.com Add us on facebook!
    Parts and Accessories
    Law Enforcement Firearms

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/04/2013 11:53pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't necessarily pity people that have the resources available to them to get what they need/want yet choose not to.
    In general, I wholeheartedly agree.

But what of people who "have" resources, yet simply aren't aware of them? If you grew up in a news-watching household, and you're used to trusting the news, why would you even think to bother with other resources?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/04/2013 11:55pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by dwkfym View Post
    Ace, when the HECK did you join bullshido??? Welcome!
    Hey, Jer'! Been here a while. Like, 2011.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    2/05/2013 12:53am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Quote Originally Posted by Ashkuff View Post
    But what of people who "have" resources, yet simply aren't aware of them? If you grew up in a news-watching household, and you're used to trusting the news, why would you even think to bother with other resources?
    In the age of Google, kids with smart phones, and toddlers that can work an Ipad I would find it very hard to believe that one wouldn't even think to "bother with other resources".

I'll assume for a second that the majority of people with access to said resources just wouldn't think to bother; I still think the chance of them stumbling across other sources is extremely high. Hopefully, seeing these possibly different views would get the ball rolling.

So, what exactly would you like to happen? In what ways and what agencies would you like to see advertise statistics? Why?
    Start a training log!

Posted On:
    2/05/2013 1:05am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Is this the case with Israel?
    My wife's family that lives their are pretty damn skeptical of whats on the news but this could also be because they are Ukrainian Jews from the soviet era.

Posted On:
    2/05/2013 7:20am

Style: Boxing,Kickboxing K1

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Damn dude, you don't have any organization that publishes these stats?
    Well, no. Complaints (if made, why bother in some cases) are loged in some police computer, and they will publish or not, what they want.
    For example, now on the news here, you hear of a 5 yo girl that got raped in a religious community and the matter was almost hushed (by the community), so suddenly the news are filled with pedo stories. I mean, if yesterday it was a regular rape or murder, than related topics would show up. The reports here are heavily influenced by what is considered "hot topic". And certain topics are "not news worthy" so you get a deformed picture.
    But again facebook started to be a good way to get news, otherwise you wouldn't hear about. Sometimes the video would be so viral the media will reluctantly pic it up and the police will make arrests.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast