Posted On:
    2/04/2013 2:28pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AKRhino View Post
    So Pride wasn't MMA? Dream wasn't MMA?
    Didn't Pride bill itself as "Vale Tudo"?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/04/2013 2:37pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Is BJJ still Good for MMA

In the beginning, I think they were vale tudo. Was not Pride started by the Gracies after they left the UFC when it started to introduce time limits and other rule sets like weight classes?

I may be wrong but will be happy to be corrected lol

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/04/2013 2:42pm

Style: Brazillian Jiu Jitsu

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChenPengFi View Post
    Didn't Pride bill itself as "Vale Tudo"?
    To expand on my point, college football has different rules than NFL, but it's still football. NHL hockey has different rules, and a different playing surface than Olympic hockey, but it's all hockey. Strikeforce had different rules than the UFC before the ZUFFA purchase, but it was still MMA. If you look up MMA fighter records of people who have fought under multiple rule sets, you'll see all of their fight results listed with no differentiation by rule set.

Otherwise you open the door to people who train "strikeforce" (because it had different rules, what else do we call it, if not MMA?)

Then you got things like Affliction, which used standard MMA rules (IIRC), only they fought in a ring rather than a cage (does that matter? I dunno, it's definitely different though). The argument about K1, imo, is poor, as K1 is kickboxing (which brings up a similar argument, as there are a ton of different kickboxing rule sets, but they're all kickboxing of some form or another, right? (I dunno, I'm not a kickboxer).

Posted On:
    2/04/2013 2:49pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To expand on my point, college football has different rules than NFL, but it's still football.
    Where does Rugby fit in?

NHL hockey has different rules, and a different playing surface than Olympic hockey, but it's all hockey. Strikeforce had different rules than the UFC before the ZUFFA purchase, but it was still MMA. If you look up MMA fighter records of people who have fought under multiple rule sets, you'll see all of their fight results listed with no differentiation by rule set.

Otherwise you open the door to people who train "strikeforce" (because it had different rules, what else do we call it, if not MMA?)

Then you got things like Affliction, which used standard MMA rules (IIRC), only they fought in a ring rather than a cage (does that matter? I dunno, it's definitely different though). The argument about K1, imo, is poor, as K1 is kickboxing (which brings up a similar argument, as there are a ton of different kickboxing rule sets, but they're all kickboxing of some form or another, right? (I dunno, I'm not a kickboxer).
    Ok so if your point of contention is that the unified rules do not define all of what is MMA, i agree.

I just want to avoid getting sucked into itwasn'tme's black hole of reasoning, that Goodlun was addressing.

Posted On:
    2/04/2013 3:27pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To expand on my point, college football has different rules than NFL, but it's still football. NHL hockey has different rules, and a different playing surface than Olympic hockey, but it's all hockey. Strikeforce had different rules than the UFC before the ZUFFA purchase, but it was still MMA. If you look up MMA fighter records of people who have fought under multiple rule sets, you'll see all of their fight results listed with no differentiation by rule set.

Dream, Pride, UFC prior to unification are all grand fathered in. That being said we all know that they are a different sport than current MMA.
    As far as nit picky differences such as
    Olympic Judo vs Freesyle Judo vs Kosen Judo rulesets I would say yes they are all Judo. But they we have the tool to further classify them by a more specific skill set the same way we can further classify College Football from that of the NFL both are football but if your having a conversation with someone about a rule that is different between the two you do have to say which one your talking about.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/04/2013 3:45pm

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChenPengFi View Post
    Where does Rugby fit in?

Rugby is to Soccer and Football, what BJJ is to Judo and MMA.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/04/2013 3:48pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_tke View Post
    So 2+2= 44?

Posted On:
    2/04/2013 3:50pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_tke View Post

Well in that case, this is Vale Tudo!

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/04/2013 4:00pm

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    So 2+2= 44?
    No damn it. 2+2= 22
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 10111213 LastLast