224718 Bullies, 3873 online  
  • Register
Our Sponsors:

Results 81 to 90 of 121
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 10111213 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image
  1. AKRhino is online now
    AKRhino's Avatar

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    Posts
    543

    Posted On:
    2/04/2013 2:05pm


     Style: Brazillian Jiu Jitsu

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by goodlun View Post
    The Unified MMA rules
    So Pride wasn't MMA? Dream wasn't MMA?
  2. ChenPengFi is online now
    ChenPengFi's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Hawai'i
    Posts
    3,230

    Posted On:
    2/04/2013 2:28pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AKRhino View Post
    So Pride wasn't MMA? Dream wasn't MMA?
    Didn't Pride bill itself as "Vale Tudo"?
  3. catfishaggie is offline

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Dallas, Tx
    Posts
    700

    Posted On:
    2/04/2013 2:37pm


     Style: BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

    Is BJJ still Good for MMA

    In the beginning, I think they were vale tudo. Was not Pride started by the Gracies after they left the UFC when it started to introduce time limits and other rule sets like weight classes?

    I may be wrong but will be happy to be corrected lol
  4. AKRhino is online now
    AKRhino's Avatar

    Registered Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    Posts
    543

    Posted On:
    2/04/2013 2:42pm


     Style: Brazillian Jiu Jitsu

    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChenPengFi View Post
    Didn't Pride bill itself as "Vale Tudo"?
    To expand on my point, college football has different rules than NFL, but it's still football. NHL hockey has different rules, and a different playing surface than Olympic hockey, but it's all hockey. Strikeforce had different rules than the UFC before the ZUFFA purchase, but it was still MMA. If you look up MMA fighter records of people who have fought under multiple rule sets, you'll see all of their fight results listed with no differentiation by rule set.

    Otherwise you open the door to people who train "strikeforce" (because it had different rules, what else do we call it, if not MMA?)

    Then you got things like Affliction, which used standard MMA rules (IIRC), only they fought in a ring rather than a cage (does that matter? I dunno, it's definitely different though). The argument about K1, imo, is poor, as K1 is kickboxing (which brings up a similar argument, as there are a ton of different kickboxing rule sets, but they're all kickboxing of some form or another, right? (I dunno, I'm not a kickboxer).
  5. ChenPengFi is online now
    ChenPengFi's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Hawai'i
    Posts
    3,230

    Posted On:
    2/04/2013 2:49pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AKRhino View Post
    To expand on my point, college football has different rules than NFL, but it's still football.
    Where does Rugby fit in?

    NHL hockey has different rules, and a different playing surface than Olympic hockey, but it's all hockey. Strikeforce had different rules than the UFC before the ZUFFA purchase, but it was still MMA. If you look up MMA fighter records of people who have fought under multiple rule sets, you'll see all of their fight results listed with no differentiation by rule set.

    Otherwise you open the door to people who train "strikeforce" (because it had different rules, what else do we call it, if not MMA?)

    Then you got things like Affliction, which used standard MMA rules (IIRC), only they fought in a ring rather than a cage (does that matter? I dunno, it's definitely different though). The argument about K1, imo, is poor, as K1 is kickboxing (which brings up a similar argument, as there are a ton of different kickboxing rule sets, but they're all kickboxing of some form or another, right? (I dunno, I'm not a kickboxer).
    Ok so if your point of contention is that the unified rules do not define all of what is MMA, i agree.

    I just want to avoid getting sucked into itwasn'tme's black hole of reasoning, that Goodlun was addressing.
  6. goodlun is online now
    goodlun's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Ramona
    Posts
    5,084

    Posted On:
    2/04/2013 3:27pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AKRhino View Post
    To expand on my point, college football has different rules than NFL, but it's still football. NHL hockey has different rules, and a different playing surface than Olympic hockey, but it's all hockey. Strikeforce had different rules than the UFC before the ZUFFA purchase, but it was still MMA. If you look up MMA fighter records of people who have fought under multiple rule sets, you'll see all of their fight results listed with no differentiation by rule set.

    Otherwise you open the door to people who train "strikeforce" (because it had different rules, what else do we call it, if not MMA?)

    Then you got things like Affliction, which used standard MMA rules (IIRC), only they fought in a ring rather than a cage (does that matter? I dunno, it's definitely different though). The argument about K1, imo, is poor, as K1 is kickboxing (which brings up a similar argument, as there are a ton of different kickboxing rule sets, but they're all kickboxing of some form or another, right? (I dunno, I'm not a kickboxer).
    Dream, Pride, UFC prior to unification are all grand fathered in. That being said we all know that they are a different sport than current MMA.
    As far as nit picky differences such as
    Olympic Judo vs Freesyle Judo vs Kosen Judo rulesets I would say yes they are all Judo. But they we have the tool to further classify them by a more specific skill set the same way we can further classify College Football from that of the NFL both are football but if your having a conversation with someone about a rule that is different between the two you do have to say which one your talking about.
  7. Diesel_tke is offline
    Diesel_tke's Avatar

    Light Heavyweight

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Pensacola, FL
    Posts
    4,006

    Posted On:
    2/04/2013 3:45pm

    supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChenPengFi View Post
    Where does Rugby fit in?


    Rugby is to Soccer and Football, what BJJ is to Judo and MMA.
    Combatives training log.

    Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

    Drum thread

    Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.
  8. Omega Supreme is offline

    Administrator

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    West Coast
    Posts
    22,986

    Posted On:
    2/04/2013 3:48pm

    staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_tke View Post
    Rugby is to Soccer and Football, what BJJ is to Judo and MMA.
    So 2+2= 44?
  9. ChenPengFi is online now
    ChenPengFi's Avatar

    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Hawai'i
    Posts
    3,230

    Posted On:
    2/04/2013 3:50pm

    Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_tke View Post
    Rugby is to Soccer and Football, what BJJ is to Judo and MMA.

    Well in that case, this is Vale Tudo!

  10. Diesel_tke is offline
    Diesel_tke's Avatar

    Light Heavyweight

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Pensacola, FL
    Posts
    4,006

    Posted On:
    2/04/2013 4:00pm

    supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    So 2+2= 44?
    No damn it. 2+2= 22
    Combatives training log.

    Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

    Drum thread

    Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 56789 10111213 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Powered by vBulletin™© contact@vbulletin.com vBulletin Solutions, Inc. 2011 All rights reserved.