Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    2/06/2013 7:08pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    Right, until it becomes part of your normal routine. If you are practicing them separately then they are their own style, system, art. Once you incorporate them, as the word is defined, they become part of that system. That's my philosophy at least. I still practice SAMBO and Kung fu separately even though there are over lapping techniques. Hope that answers Rhino's question too.
    You already know this, but the line starts to blur after a certain amount of time. For instance, I try to avoid the guard and use the turtle instead when sparring with Blackmonk because he competes under the SOMBO rule set more often than not. Lately, I've been doing it during BJJ class as well. So the habit of choosing the turtle position, rather than guard has crossed styles for me. It is now in the lexicon of my favored techniques.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/06/2013 7:12pm

Style: Judo noob, injured guy.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp View Post
    You already know this, but the line starts to blur after a certain amount of time. For instance, I try to avoid the guard and use the turtle instead when sparring with Blackmonk because he competes under the SOMBO rule set more often than not. Lately, I've been doing it during BJJ class as well. So the habit of choosing the turtle position, rather than guard has crossed styles for me. It is now in the lexicon of my favored techniques.
    That sounds like a fun way to mess with people.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    2/06/2013 7:12pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by theAsthmatic View Post
    How many beginners know to ask the right questions though? Most beginners will ask if the teachers knows how to teach grappling and striking or more likely if the training will help with their confidence. Chances are, the answer will be yes, no matter what the teacher actually knows.

Not to mention, some arts don't do competitions. A few of them are even effective, despite a lack of competition being a red flag. Like Krav Maga, or I guess Jeet Kun Do. Beginners can't really be expected to apply logic without a basis to work with. Tournaments aren't also the end all to fighting skill. I would be perfectly comfortable with letting a legitimate former Spetznaz teach me how to fight with a knife, even though he most likely has no tournament victories or even students with such victories.

Beginners also won't know that winning something like the Kyokushin World open, is very different from winning the Junior Olympics in TKD. So they won't be able to tell if they are about to commit to studying under a true master, like say Kancho Joko Ninomya of Enshin karate fame or just some guy that has a lot of medals and trophies on his wall. So, unfortunately, logic only works here when you already generally know what you are looking for.
    We believe that it is up to each person to be an informed consumer. This holds true even more so in the Information Age.

Part of being self reliant is when to know to seek informed help so that you may in turn make a well informed decision.
    Shut the hell up and train.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/06/2013 8:29pm

Style: sambo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    :) Just to test the theory of how useful the internet is I searched for 'Best Martial Art'. The top hit had Wing Chun rating above Jiu Jitsu, with Keysi fighting method being #2 and Krav Maga #1. Sambo wasn't even on the list. (listverse). The next top hit, Askmen had Judo at #10 and Tae Kwon Do at #5. etc. In other words, it was totally worthless, in my opinion.

I think even for someone that really wants to learn something useful for the purposes of self defense, it will be very difficult to be an informed consumer with the amount of nonsense out there clouding the channels. Even more so for concerned parents who give their children to a mcDojo to learn 'karate.'

Anyway, I am not saying people aren't responsible for their own choices. If they get fooled into 'no contact martial arts', then it's on them. All I am saying is, styles do make a useful guide to try to match what a student is looking for with the actual stuff being taught. Also, I don't think people are idiots because they make a mistake only when they persist in their mistake despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/07/2013 2:47pm

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    See, what you don't realize is that we are the ones who put out that information! Why? So that we don't have a bunch of people running around that can actually fight. That would make us equal to the rest of the mortals. So, put out some misinformation to weed out the ones who are not serious.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    2/07/2013 3:13pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by theAsthmatic View Post
    :) Just to test the theory of how useful the internet is I searched for 'Best Martial Art'. The top hit had Wing Chun rating above Jiu Jitsu, with Keysi fighting method being #2 and Krav Maga #1. Sambo wasn't even on the list. (listverse). The next top hit, Askmen had Judo at #10 and Tae Kwon Do at #5. etc. In other words, it was totally worthless, in my opinion.
    "Best martial art" is kind of a silly query, though. Seems like most people would understand that's like asking "best food" or "best sport" and expecting a satisfying answer.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/07/2013 3:48pm

Style: sambo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    "Best martial art" is kind of a silly query, though. Seems like most people would understand that's like asking "best food" or "best sport" and expecting a satisfying answer.
    Exactly. It is a very silly query. That's kind of my point. But people just looking to learn to fight tend to ask exactly that, along with stuff like 'can you break a board'?

Even if you get more specific, like "Best martial art for self defense" you can wind up with gems like 'Outlaw Tai Chi" and Aikijutsu, according to blackbeltmag.com. Sorry if they are actually legit arts, I've just never heard of either. I think, personally, I got lucky, because my parents put me in Sambo when I was 6. If they'd put me in "Wujin style combat ballet" I wouldn't know the difference. It's not like research is some kind of magic bullet to always come up with the correct answer right? Especially internet research.

Searching for best American food gave me Hamburgers, and Clam chowder though... Not a bad start.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/07/2013 4:12pm

Style: Judo noob, injured guy.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I should point out that when I said I very nearly just googled "how 2 fite" and found bullshido, it was hyperbole. That said, an hour or so of internet research went a very long way. But maybe I give people too much credit. I spend weeks researching before I actually do something, I guess that is asking a bit much.

But someone pointed out the "we expect people to be savvy consumers" reality. If someone thinks that Brant Ly's Shoalin-Jitsu-Do is the shiz because they claim to be 10,000 years old and use by Chinese Samurai to battle the Mongols at the battle of Baden Hill... that is their own dumb ass fault.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    2/07/2013 5:44pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Finding out martial arts info can be a lot like learning about different kinds of cars by asking a car salesman at his lot.
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 289101112 13 LastLast