Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Style
    being a fatty
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Bjj ranking questions

Cuddles here, with some nooby questions
    How come a blue belt is considered advanced? Is it just really hard to get off of white belt [that by the time you do, you're advanced]?

Because the way I see it, if it's white > blue > purple > brown > black, with everything above white as "advanced", how much of a difference can there be between each of the belts? (i.e. Purple vs Blue) I know there's a big difference from what I've seen as matches on youtube (Where a higher rank nearly always wins), but I don't understand how there can be such a big difference if they're both considered advanced students.

This especially comes in with a brown vs a black belt. They both seem like black belts to me in terms of what they do/try to do, so [why] is there a large gap in skill? Or is the belt determined by experience/time in the gym at that rank?

Note: I don't have a lot of grappling experience but am joining a bjj gym soon (This Friday actually) so I wanna figure these things out. HYPED!

How does testing in BJJ work? In Karate, Kempo Karate, and Shaolin (a McDojo unfortunately, I quit it very quickly) testing was knowing your forms and moves well and being able to spar well. In the Kempo Karate I went to, they were focused more on actual fighting. Even if you had crap forms, you could still pass by sparring well. It also worked the other way where a lot of (younger and reserved) students would fail testing for "knowing how to dance but not fight" (quote from my last sensei).

Thanks a bunch for helping a newbie like me out!

Style
    BJJ/ MMA/ MT
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't worry about all that stuff for now. Basically a blue belt means you have learnt a majority of the techniques, a purple belt is able to use those techniques in a sequence and when you get to brown and black, you can chain techniques endlessly.

But I repeat, don't worry about all that stuff for now. Don't worry about grading, it is completely different from any of those martial arts you mentioned. Depending on the school, of course.

For example, my school's grading consists of everyone rolling and at the end, after reviewing the free rolling, the instructor decides if someone has notched up. We have four stripes on our belts. I have notched up two stripes on my white belt. Just two. And I have been going solid for over a year. Other schools might grade differently.

Seriously, though, don't worry about grading. If you have no grappling experience, your previous martial arts experience will mean NOTHING. Believe me, I've been there.
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.

Fasten your seat belts, and prepare for lift off
    Style
    Combat Cuddling
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuddles View Post
    Cuddles here, with some nooby questions
    How come a blue belt is considered advanced? Is it just really hard to get off of white belt [that by the time you do, you're advanced]?

Because the way I see it, if it's white > blue > purple > brown > black, with everything above white as "advanced", how much of a difference can there be between each of the belts? (i.e. Purple vs Blue) I know there's a big difference from what I've seen as matches on youtube (Where a higher rank nearly always wins), but I don't understand how there can be such a big difference if they're both considered advanced students.

This especially comes in with a brown vs a black belt. They both seem like black belts to me in terms of what they do/try to do, so [why] is there a large gap in skill? Or is the belt determined by experience/time in the gym at that rank?

Note: I don't have a lot of grappling experience but am joining a bjj gym soon (This Friday actually) so I wanna figure these things out. HYPED!

How does testing in BJJ work? In Karate, Kempo Karate, and Shaolin (a McDojo unfortunately, I quit it very quickly) testing was knowing your forms and moves well and being able to spar well. In the Kempo Karate I went to, they were focused more on actual fighting. Even if you had crap forms, you could still pass by sparring well. It also worked the other way where a lot of (younger and reserved) students would fail testing for "knowing how to dance but not fight" (quote from my last sensei).

Thanks a bunch for helping a newbie like me out!

1) Are blues advanced? No they are not. Advanced is subjective term, I'd consider a mid-level purple advanced.

3) Difference between belt skills? Also subjective, think of belt levels in terms of a range in skills.

4) Brown vs Black= Also subjective. Hard to describe the difference, black belts have better timing and more experience using techniques.

5) Testing- Also depends on your gym. If they do tests, it's typically technique demos then sparring.

I'll tell you a story, I sat outside a gym for 30 minutes debating on whether or not I should walk in. I manned up, went in got my ass kicked, and I've never stopped walking back in. (7 years later)

Enjoy the journey and don't worry about belts.

Style
    being a fatty
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by battlefields View Post
    when you get to brown and black, you can chain techniques endlessly.
    That sounds so damn cool. Is there an actual difference between brown and black? Do brown and black mean different things at different BJJ schools? (Like a brown at X ends up completely stomping the blacks at Y school) Or even within a school? Would a black belt be able to wreck a brown?

Something I don't understand: There are Blue Belt instructors at the BJJ gym I'm gonna go to. I would think that you'd be Brown at least to teach and truly know your stuff.

EDIT: They're called coaches. http://www.babalubjj.com/team-members.php
    Professor is different from a Coach or Instructor or Sensei or Master or WHAT. Well I'm gonna ignore title terminology for now.

If you have no grappling experience, your previous martial arts experience will mean NOTHING. Believe me, I've been there.
    Oh yes, I know I'm gonna get stomped on and rolled without hope for probably the first year at least. Hopefully after a year I'll be able to survive for more than a half-minute. I wasn't a great stand up fighter anyways. The most I've ever done is win a state Kempo tournament, with bad point sparring rules instead of full-contact. No actual skill needed there (just be fast). I've had a tiny bit of grappling experience though, mainly from friends in wrestling, judo, or BJJ who like to roflstomp on their poor 134 lbs friend. :)

Thanks for the heads up batts :D

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by DKJr View Post
    I'll tell you a story, I sat outside a gym for 30 minutes debating on whether or not I should walk in. I manned up, went in got my ass kicked, and I've never stopped walking back in. (7 years later)

Enjoy the journey and don't worry about belts.
    YES SIR!
    Last edited by Cuddles; 1/30/2013 2:02am at .

Style
    BJJ/ MMA/ MT
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Again, you're thinking too much. You'll only know this stuff once you're on the mat. All will be revealed in its own time.
    GET A RED BELT OR DIE TRYIN'.

Style
    being a fatty
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Again, you're thinking too much. You'll only know this stuff once you're on the mat. All will be revealed in its own time.
    Okay. Thanks for your help!

Fasten your seat belts, and prepare for lift off
    Style
    Combat Cuddling
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Dude I would love to train at Babalu's gym. That dude is bad ass. I think you'll be fine there.

Style
    being a fatty
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DKJr View Post
    Dude I would love to train at Babalu's gym. That dude is bad ass. I think you'll be fine there.
    Haha thanks for the input! I've been worried cause I haven't checked it out myself yet and the site looks intimidating (fire and stuff on it lol)

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuddles View Post
    Something I don't understand: There are Blue Belt instructors at the BJJ gym I'm gonna go to. I would think that you'd be Brown at least to teach and truly know your stuff.
    You might think that, but you'd be wrong. You will learn from everyone in a way that doesn't exist in TMAs...you'll see.

Keep us posted how you go.

Style
    lifting
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lv1Sierpinski View Post
    You might think that, but you'd be wrong. You will learn from everyone in a way that doesn't exist in TMAs...you'll see.
    This is true. When I was active in BJJ I received most of my technical instruction from a group of purple belts, but the guy I really learned the most from was a blue-belt ex-wrestler. He was less skilled than the purples but he was a better speaker who knew how to put things in terms that noobs could understand. He talked a lot while rolling and every time he tapped me out, he would stop the roll and teach/review

A.) the submission he just used on me, and

B.) a defense to it.

You'll just meet different people, who have different styles of doing what they do. Just keep your ears and mind open. Shutting up and listening goes a long way.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last