Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/30/2013 11:14am

Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp View Post
    Randori, or free sparring, is not the same as "positional rounds". Positional rounds implies sparring in a specific set of positions and resetting when the goal of the drill is achieved by one partner. So the drill normally termed "Pass, sweep or submit" wherein top guy tries to pass guard and bottom guy in guard tries to sweep or submit is not the same as free sparring.

Now, that is not to say a scramble will not occur during this type of drill, but you seem confused about the definition of the term Randori.

One more thing, while I don't believe this is currently the case, if I determine that you are trolling the technique forums by being deliberately obtuse, I will permanently ban you from this website. I have zero patience with trolls in the technique forums.

As it stands now, I think you have a reading comprehension issue. That is not something we appreciate on this site. I suggest you read each post you want to respond to three or four times before posting and take a minute to ensure you understand what is being typed.
    Ah, I apologize, no we do not do free sparring in the beginner/intermediate classes. There is a separate class for people in those classes if they want to spar, but my schedule has prohibited me from attending thus far. I think the advanced class does some sparring in class, and I know there are some specific groups that do rounds but again, I am only really able to show up to the technique and drilling portions of class.

And no I am not trying to troll, again I believe I have had my question answered so thank you.

Posted On:
    1/30/2013 12:39pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That is really odd. Where do you train BJJ? Who is your instructor?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/30/2013 1:18pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Nefron View Post
    That is really odd. Where do you train BJJ? Who is your instructor?
    PM sent to not derail thread, if anyone else has questions go ahead and shoot me a message (this doesn't seem like the place to get into that, please correct me if I am wrong).

Administrator

Posted On:
    1/30/2013 2:28pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Math solution to scramble:
    Assuming that x and y are engaged
    Negative integers = Controlled situation
    Positive integers= Uncontrolled situation

In order for x and y to be engaged in scramble z must exist where z is effort for control. If z does not exist then neutral position is established and both parties are deemed unengaged despite empirical evidence.

There fore if x is negative but y is positive then z is negative and no scramble exist.
    Inversely if x is positive and y is negative then z is negative and again no scramble exist.

However
    If x is negative and y is negative then z is positive and a scramble exists
    Also if x is positive and y is positive then z is positive and a scramble exists.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/30/2013 2:52pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    Math solution to scramble:
    Assuming that x and y are engaged
    Negative integers = Controlled situation
    Positive integers= Uncontrolled situation

In order for x and y to be engaged in scramble z must exist where z is effort for control. If z does not exist then neutral position is established and both parties are deemed unengaged despite empirical evidence.

There fore if x is negative but y is positive then z is negative and no scramble exist.
    Inversely if x is positive and y is negative then z is negative and again no scramble exist.

However
    If x is negative and y is negative then z is positive and a scramble exists
    Also if x is positive and y is positive then z is positive and a scramble exists.
    Ah. Thanks, that clears up the last questions.

The follow up to this is "how do I tell who is in control", but I think before I ask that I will train for a while.

Transmaniacon MC

Posted On:
    1/30/2013 3:08pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldiermedic View Post
    I know in your intro thread you had said that you had been training bjj for less than a year...does your school not have a randori period at the end of your class? Cause it seems improbable for someone training alive to have this much of an issue grasping this concept.

Or you have a very serious issue with overthinking things.
    My club is the same way - no free rolling until you have 3 stripes on your white belt. Prior to that, you do 3x3 submission flow. It's the only thing I've known, as a relative newcomer, but I understand that it wasn't always that way.

The explanation is that as a complete novice, you haven't developed enough technique to a) not spaz out; b) actually accomplish anything other than getting smashed for several minutes. The subtext is "this is the way GB wants it, so this is the way we do it."

Administrator

Posted On:
    1/30/2013 3:08pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ask your coach.

bwahahaahhaha

Certified Personal Trainer and Drinker of Coffee

Posted On:
    1/30/2013 10:33pm

supporting member
     Style: SAMBO/BJJ/Judo and others

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://www.56.com/u80/v_MjI5NDk4NTM.html

1:15 - 1:40 is a scramble. Both men are trying to get better position or a submission, but their opponent is countering. Neither men have control but are trying to get control. Makes sense????

Also Scrambles:

2:15 - 2:25
    3:45 - 4:00
    6:28 - 6:40 (slower scramble)
    Last edited by CoffeeFan; 1/30/2013 10:49pm at .

Certified Personal Trainer and Drinker of Coffee

Posted On:
    1/30/2013 11:03pm

supporting member
     Style: SAMBO/BJJ/Judo and others

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I really think this should be moved to YMAS. It is a basic technique question, but the math formula is making me chuckle.

Posted On:
    1/31/2013 1:27am

Style: BJJ/Zumba

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...oSpNkXc#t=395s

Scrambling escape.

Basically what everyones saying, but hard to describe before you experience it and attribute what happened as "a scramble".

You're, duh, literally scrambling, both you and partner to regain some advantage/purchase from an attempt at something, once someone regains an advantage/purchase, scramble ends--it's a thing out of defined contexts, which is why it's hard to explain.

Between something DEFINED (guard, sweep, transition, escape, submission) and consolidation of something DEFINED, either re-balancing or re-posturing or re-guarding or re-sweeping or re-submitting etc.

Jason Scully goes over scrambles on a whole disc in his "Invisible Grappling" DVD Series.
    Disc 7 (Shameless plug for all his awesome videos)

• What a Scramble Is
    • Goals For Scrambles
    • Ideas to Learn Your Scrambles
    • Examples of Creating and Winning Scrambles
    • Sample Scramble Explained

So buy it...or just ask your fucking coach. :)
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast