Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/29/2013 8:02pm

Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    All right, first off thanks for your help, that video is definitely different from what I have seen.

So my wrestling knowledge is limited (straight BJJ) so let me see if I have this straight

So if you are in a clinch with someone, and both people have real pressure, and neither is clearly in control, this is a scramble? This means that things like "50/50 grip" in Judo(each person has sleeve and collar) aren't really scrambles since neither person has real pressure, but when you and your opponent have both have single legs and neither can finish that would be?

Or, in general this is being "engaged" or in a clinch (is there a difference?) and both people have pressure and are jockying to dominate the clinch?

This would explain why I have trouble understanding, since my clinch work is terrible and I am often not real clear on who is winning from a tie up or clinch.

This definitely is becoming clearer, so thank you. Also explains why it's hard to explain (when someone is clearly in control of a clinch seems to be fairly technical in my experience).

Thanks
    -PS: who's the lady in the photo at around the 6 min mark?

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    1/29/2013 8:28pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by combathug View Post
    All right, first off thanks for your help, that video is definitely different from what I have seen.

So my wrestling knowledge is limited (straight BJJ) so let me see if I have this straight

So if you are in a clinch with someone, and both people have real pressure, and neither is clearly in control, this is a scramble? This means that things like "50/50 grip" in Judo(each person has sleeve and collar) aren't really scrambles since neither person has real pressure, but when you and your opponent have both have single legs and neither can finish that would be?

Or, in general this is being "engaged" or in a clinch (is there a difference?) and both people have pressure and are jockying to dominate the clinch?

This would explain why I have trouble understanding, since my clinch work is terrible and I am often not real clear on who is winning from a tie up or clinch.

This definitely is becoming clearer, so thank you. Also explains why it's hard to explain (when someone is clearly in control of a clinch seems to be fairly technical in my experience).

Thanks
    -PS: who's the lady in the photo at around the 6 min mark?
    Most of what beginner grapplers do is scramble when paired with each other. I'm starting to wonder if you even train since any grappling novice with competent instruction will be taught what consists of scrambling and what doesn't.

Watch this,

Notice how neither grappler has any real control over the other? As previously stated, this is the definition of a scramble.
    Shut the hell up and train.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/29/2013 8:36pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    All right thanks for that, that clears it up.

And yes I do train. Although my total knowledge about scrambling has thus far been "avoid it".

I guess at this point the only thing that puzzles me is, if 1 person is passing and the other sweeping, and neither is really having any success, is that scrambling? If so then that explains why I am confused (we don't call that scrambling.)

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    1/29/2013 8:41pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    All right thanks for that, that clears it up.

And yes I do train. Although my total knowledge about scrambling has thus far been "avoid it".

I guess at this point the only thing that puzzles me is, if 1 person is passing and the other sweeping, and neither is really having any success, is that scrambling? If so then that explains why I am confused (we don't call that scrambling.)
    A scramble is characterized by a lack of control by both parties. Conversely, if one guy is attempting to pass guard while the other is successfully defending, both have some measure of control. If top guy passes while maintaining control, there is no scramble. If bottom guy sweeps with control, there is no scramble.

If bottom guy starts to sweep, messes up the technique and loses control while top guy struggles to regain posture so he can start to pass again, then you are scrambling.
    Shut the hell up and train.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/29/2013 8:47pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh, wow, I read good apparently...

So if both people have control, no scramble, if 1 person has control, no scramble, if neither has control, scramble? All right that makes sense.

Then the obvious question is "what is control", but I have seen several breakdowns of matches to know that this is a complicated topic that will (hopefully) come with time.

Is this less prevalent in the gi? because I really feel like this doesn't happen very much to me (not never, but usually I am either losing or...well, usually I am losing, but the small remainder of the time I am controlling the other person). Outright neither person really is in control feels like it's rare, but that might be my human perception, or inability to see what is occurring.

Thanks again, that for some reason took forever for me to read correctly.

Administrator

Posted On:
    1/30/2013 12:31am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh, wow, I read good apparently...

So if both people have control, no scramble, if 1 person has control, no scramble, if neither has control, scramble? All right that makes sense.

Then the obvious question is "what is control", but I have seen several breakdowns of matches to know that this is a complicated topic that will (hopefully) come with time.

Is this less prevalent in the gi? because I really feel like this doesn't happen very much to me (not never, but usually I am either losing or...well, usually I am losing, but the small remainder of the time I am controlling the other person). Outright neither person really is in control feels like it's rare, but that might be my human perception, or inability to see what is occurring.

Thanks again, that for some reason took forever for me to read correctly.
    Dude. Both guys cannot be in control.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/30/2013 1:05am

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    Dude. Both guys cannot be in control.
    Quote Originally Posted by jnp
    Conversely, if one guy is attempting to pass guard while the other is successfully defending, both have some measure of control
    ????
    I take it in the case I am describing there is an "attacker" and a "defender" and the attacker is considered in control?

Regardless I think I understand the "neither person has control thing", the next step is to figure out how to determine who is in control, but that's a completely separate and much larger topic.

Thanks guys.
    Last edited by combathug; 1/30/2013 1:25am at .

Posted On:
    1/30/2013 8:34am

Style: bjj/judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I know in your intro thread you had said that you had been training bjj for less than a year...does your school not have a randori period at the end of your class? Cause it seems improbable for someone training alive to have this much of an issue grasping this concept.

Or you have a very serious issue with overthinking things.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/30/2013 9:33am

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We don't call it that, but yes many classes have positional rounds at the end.

And yes that is probably correct

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    1/30/2013 9:43am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We don't call it that, but yes many classes have positional rounds at the end.

And yes that is probably correct
    Randori, or free sparring, is not the same as "positional rounds". Positional rounds implies sparring in a specific set of positions and resetting when the goal of the drill is achieved by one partner. So the drill normally termed "Pass, sweep or submit" wherein top guy tries to pass guard and bottom guy in guard tries to sweep or submit is not the same as free sparring.

Now, that is not to say a scramble will not occur during this type of drill, but you seem confused about the definition of the term Randori.

One more thing, while I don't believe this is currently the case, if I determine that you are trolling the technique forums by being deliberately obtuse, I will permanently ban you from this website. I have zero patience with trolls in the technique forums.

As it stands now, I think you have a reading comprehension issue. That is not something we appreciate on this site. I suggest you read each post you want to respond to three or four times before posting and take a minute to ensure you understand what is being typed.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast