Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/29/2013 12:51pm

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Terminology issue with scramble

So in my training I keep hearing about this "scramble" thing, yet I haven't managed to figure out what it is.

Any explanation would be appreciated.

Administrator

Posted On:
    1/29/2013 1:40pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Creating a scramble is a situation in which neither person has any real control so you race to a point where you can escape, control, or submit your opponent.

*edit:
    Understand that this done in an engaged situation.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/29/2013 3:19pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ah, so usually athleticism activates over technique? or no?

Also, are there any videos or pieces of video that illustrate this? I honestly am having a hard time envisioning this.

Thanks

Administrator

Posted On:
    1/29/2013 3:22pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by combathug View Post
    Ah, so usually athleticism activates over technique? or no?

Also, are there any videos or pieces of video that illustrate this? I honestly am having a hard time envisioning this.

Thanks
    I'm going to chalk this up to a not to well thought out question.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/29/2013 3:35pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So I guess I am confused,

1 )From your description this is a "situation" (note, I am referring to grappling here, should have specified). Is this "situation" a position or something else?

2) Are there any videos of BJJ matches that have this position?

3) If not, why is it interesting?(as it apparently doesn't come up in competition.)

In my (limited) experience, I have heard people talk about scrambling, but never be able to explain what it looks like, or how to win in one. I am wondering if it's just a slang term that doesn't have a specific "position" or if it is actually something specific.

EDIT: Misread Omega's post, thought he said "position", he actually said "situation"

Administrator

Posted On:
    1/29/2013 3:54pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by combathug View Post
    So I guess I am confused,

1 )From your description this is a "situation" (note, I am referring to grappling here, should have specified). Is this "situation" a position or something else?

2) Are there any videos of BJJ matches that have this position?

3) If not, why is it interesting?(as it apparently doesn't come up in competition.)

In my (limited) experience, I have heard people talk about scrambling, but never be able to explain what it looks like, or how to win in one. I am wondering if it's just a slang term that doesn't have a specific "position" or if it is actually something specific.

EDIT: Misread Omega's post, thought he said "position", he actually said "situation"
    Ah, that would explain it then. I can show you videos of scrambles but not specific scramble position. There are moves that cause scrambles but they're all very situational.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/29/2013 4:16pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ah, for some reason I had it in my mind that this was like mount or guard, where there was sort of a scramble position, but from your description it's more of something that occurs from various places for various reasons then a "you have your leg here and he has his hand there" sort of thing.

Any video would be appreciated, there's a part of me that was sort of thinking this was some sort of mythical thing people talked about but never happened. Specifically I kept hearing it happened off of a guard pass.

1) Is this something I should even be worried about as a beginner? It was annoying me since I have found youtube videos of everything else in class, but this was persistently resistant to being explained.

For example, 2 of the top hits for "youtube jiu jitsu scramble" are

When I see that, what about it makes it a "scramble", and not "one guy in turtle 'guard', another guy on top attacking for a back take, getting swept from half guard and then recovering guard " Those are just positions and moves from those positions.

2) Is there something about this that makes it a 'scramble' rather then a chain of moves? Is it both a chain of moves and a scramble?

-------------------------------------------------------

This looks like 50/50 and various derivatives/variants of butterfly guard/50-50/half guard where both people are on their butt.

3) Is "both people on their butt" a scramble? or merely a place where scrambles often occur from? Or is it completely orthogonal?

I realize the correct answer is "stfu and train", but this has been bugging me since it's the only term I can't seem to find a technical definition for (that I understand).

EDIT: Formatting for readability

Administrator

Posted On:
    1/29/2013 4:46pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That first video is not a good example, the second one even less. I'll see what I can come up with.

Administrator

Posted On:
    1/29/2013 6:27pm

staff

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you understand wrestling you'll notice long periods where nobody is in real control and then if you could imagine this in BJJ then you'll understand the scramble:

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    1/29/2013 7:45pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Scrambling has nothing to do with any individual position and everything to do with both opponents fighting for control with neither actually having it. Once one grappler obtains some visible measure of control and the other is put on defense to some degree, then the scramble is over.
    Shut the hell up and train.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast