I'm Svelte!

Posted On:
    2/01/2013 1:41pm

supporting member
     Style: mma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Resonance10 View Post
    Is this the same SS as the one you trained?
    luckily we didn't have to wear the dodgy costume

My youtube channel is doofaloofa

watch it if you dare

thanks Fatal Rose

What you say is broadly in line with my own experiances applying SS technique in sparing

Of the 40 or so techniques i learned there are only 5 that i use MMA sparing

However the aggresive nature/midset of the style (fut gar) has generally helped me in my other MA endevours
    Considered in the abstract the boxing ring is an altar of sorts, one of those legendary spaces where the laws of a nation are suspended: inside the ropes, during an officially regulated three-minute round, a man may be killed by his opponent's hands but he cannot be legally murdered. Boxing inhabits a sacred space predating civilization; or, to use D.H. Lawrence's phrase, before God was love. If it suggests a savage ceremony or a rite of atonement it also suggests the futility of such gestures. For what possible atonement is the fight waged if it must shortly be waged again... and again? The boxing match is the very image, the more terrifying for being so stylized, of mankind's collective aggression; its ongoing historical madness.
    Joyce Carol Oates, On Boxing

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/07/2013 9:44am

Style: Sanda, Taijiquan ( Chen)

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How long have you been living in China? Do you speak Chinese? My first several years in China were the same and China in general can have that effect on people, it is a world so alien to our own. Several points I want to make: I have studied Sanda in two cities and both were amazingly effective. You got fucked. In a city the size of Shijiazhuang there are probably hundreds of skilled Sanda fighters and dozens of incredible trainers. There must be Shuaijiao, as your city is between the three hotspots for it. Hebei has more Gongfu than you could ever learn and is famous in China, along with Henan. Lastly, there are probably hundreds of traditional styles, some very effective, in your city. The only way at them is through a connection. I tell everyone I meet why I came to China and have been introduced to traditional masters this way. Also ask at other schools, even TKD. Nobody actually likes TKD, they do it to pay the bills! Lastly, martial arts being available or not, Shijiazhuang is a godforsaken shithole. Move now and save your lungs. And don't waste your time with Japanese MA in China! Good luck!
    Last edited by MaartenSFS; 2/07/2013 9:49am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/22/2013 5:34pm

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just heard that one of the major Chen-style Taijiquan masters lives in Shijiazhuang. His name is Mahong (马虹). At least some of his students must also be around.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/07/2013 12:36pm

Style: Shotokan, San Soo etc

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaartenSFS View Post
    How long have you been living in China? Do you speak Chinese? My first several years in China were the same and China in general can have that effect on people, it is a world so alien to our own. Several points I want to make: I have studied Sanda in two cities and both were amazingly effective. You got fucked. In a city the size of Shijiazhuang there are probably hundreds of skilled Sanda fighters and dozens of incredible trainers. There must be Shuaijiao, as your city is between the three hotspots for it. Hebei has more Gongfu than you could ever learn and is famous in China, along with Henan. Lastly, there are probably hundreds of traditional styles, some very effective, in your city. The only way at them is through a connection. I tell everyone I meet why I came to China and have been introduced to traditional masters this way. Also ask at other schools, even TKD. Nobody actually likes TKD, they do it to pay the bills! Lastly, martial arts being available or not, Shijiazhuang is a godforsaken shithole. Move now and save your lungs. And don't waste your time with Japanese MA in China! Good luck!
    Sorry for taking so long to get back to you been very busy. I can sPeak enough to get by.
    I plan on updating this thread with pictures and more stories. I will look into the taiji teacher. Thanks.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/11/2013 4:10pm

Style: Lung Ying Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have never lived in China. I have been to HK and spent most of the time while I was there immersed in MA. What I found interesting is there is as much bullshit in HK (and presumably China) as there is in the rest of the world. I think it is neat to immerse yourself in the Culture to extend your experience beyond just learning MA, but the conception that the best Kung Fu (and other MA) is in China is complete and utter bullshit. Many of the world's greatest masters have left their homelands for various reasons and you might be suprised at where you might find a true master. I know I certainly was. I literally stumbled on my teacher through a friend while I was bar tending. I was fortunate that she had spent countless days at his restaurant trying to convince him to teach again. I learned primarily in a parking lot behind the restaurant. This is my Kung Fu, and it is strong!

Please do not draw the conclusion that I am dissing China or those who have chosen the path of transplanting themselves there to learn. I just feel that those people that are under the impression that they HAVE to go there to get the best instruction is a fallacy.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    5/26/2013 10:48pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatal Rose View Post
    Sorry for taking so long to get back to you been very busy. I can sPeak enough to get by.
    I plan on updating this thread with pictures and more stories. I will look into the taiji teacher. Thanks.
    No worries, mate. I don't come on here very often anyways. The name Shijiazhuang has come up quite often in talking with people lately. I think that you are sitting on an MA goldmine if you know where to look. This website scares me, though: http://aqicn.org/city/shijiazhuang/.
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345