Page 1 of 2 12 Last

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

OK should I train here? (Possible Bullshido?)

Ok this "Karate" school moved really close to where I live. Like 5 minute walking distance from where I live.

Since it's so close, I looked it up to see if I should give it a shot.

I found some stuff on the site that made me sad (looking at the curriculum and seeing stupid stances and testing and stuff). However, the lead guy there seems to be at least a semi-competent Kickboxer (but he has a poor MMA record). The dude's name is Kadir Kadri. I found two YouTube videos of him fighting in kickboxing.

Here's their website( --seafordkempo(dot)com/?Profile=0-- ). What do you guys think? I'm going to send them an email soon asking them about certain stuff (contact sparring etc.) I mean I don't want to be a pro fighter or anything, but I don't want to go to a joke school either.

Thanks!

—Ike.

Style
    Boxing
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If it is so close, it is a huge plus for you, so definitely worth your time to participate in a lesson. Even go to one and just look, and then go to the first free one and train.
    The fact that your trainer has any competition experience in kickboxing is a huge plus. He probably have no delusions about less practical stances and such.
    Go there once or twice for free, and than add some details about the place, and the people training there.
    It is just as important to check out your sparring partners/fellow trainers, especially the veterans. Are they fit? Do they look competent? Do you have people that compete, cross train..etc.
    Good luck, hope such a close place turns out to be good for you.

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If what you want to learn is full-contact/shiny-pants or semi-contact kickboxing, the guy looks to be very qualified.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by erezb View Post
    If it is so close, it is a huge plus for you, so definitely worth your time to participate in a lesson. Even go to one and just look, and then go to the first free one and train.
    The fact that your trainer has any competition experience in kickboxing is a huge plus. He probably have no delusions about less practical stances and such.
    Go there once or twice for free, and than add some details about the place, and the people training there.
    It is just as important to check out your sparring partners/fellow trainers, especially the veterans. Are they fit? Do they look competent? Do you have people that compete, cross train..etc.
    Good luck, hope such a close place turns out to be good for you.
    Thanks. I want to get out there in the coming weeks. I'd go tomorrow but I applied to a job recently and whether I get it would change some things.

Quote Originally Posted by PointyShinyBurn View Post
    If what you want to learn is full-contact/shiny-pants or semi-contact kickboxing, the guy looks to be very qualified.
    Heh. Shiny-pants? Is that like an insult or something?

Style
    BJJ
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by IkeH View Post
    Heh. Shiny-pants? Is that like an insult or something?
    A literal description of the trousers they wear while doing it:
    Name:  DarrenHighKick.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  22.6 KB
    It's called "Full contact Rules", but since there are now so many other kick-boxing rule sets which are also full contact and common in the US (Muay Thai, Savate, K1 etc.) that's kind of an unhelpful name. It describes a kick-boxing style invented by a bunch of US karate-ka in the 70's, generally no knees or elbows and kicks only to targets above the waist with the (padded) foot.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PointyShinyBurn View Post
    A literal description of the trousers they wear while doing it:
    Name:  DarrenHighKick.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  22.6 KB
    It's called "Full contact Rules", but since there are now so many other kick-boxing rule sets which are also full contact and common in the US (Muay Thai, Savate, K1 etc.) that's kind of an unhelpful name. It describes a kick-boxing style invented by a bunch of US karate-ka in the 70's, generally no knees or elbows and kicks only to targets above the waist with the (padded) foot.
    Ahh Ok. Thanks for the info.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Did some more digging and found out they were an affiliate of this chain (wwwDOTshaolinkempoDOTcom/) and I saw some things that were unsavory there when I put the lead guy's name into YouTube. Hmm.

I'll still probably stop by and check out a kickboxing class soon because it's so close.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah whatever
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

~Ella Wheeler

Style
    BJJ, FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd love to go to Combat Judo but I have a lot of wrist/elbow issues. Grappling hurts really badly. Punching doesn't hurt anywhere near as much.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last