Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Style
    MT
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Intro- Also need advice please

Hello all. Im in toronto and have started some muay thai classes thanks to this site. I was actually interested in Aikido, but after going through all the info on it on the site I realized its not for me.

I wanted some advice from you guys since a lot of you have been doing MA for a while. I have psoriasis (not contagious) and so have lesions on my shins. Thus I do not wear shorts for MT so people dont have to see it. Instead I just go to class in sweatpants. A BJJ class often takes place in the gym at the same time as the MT class and it looks very interesting. However, I notice a lot of times the shins get exposed.

I was thinking of trying it but I do not want any rolling partner to be freaked out and be known as the guy to avoid rolling with. Would wearing something like compression leggings under the gi pants work/be allowed in BJJ or even Judo? I thought about using bandages to cover it up but they may slide off.

Any advice is appreciated :)

Style
    bjj
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Re: Intro- Also need advice please

You could use such tight pants under your kimono while training, probably also in competition. It would also be a good idea to tell your teacher and friends about your disease and that it is not contagious.

Style
    Boxing
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Come to the dead sea, it works wonders for your condition.
    Also there are all sorts of "rush guards" and tights that you can wear.

Style
    Judo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree its better to mention it so that it is out there and you don't have to worry about hiding it, being the new guy on the mat is hard enough without adding to it.

As for protection there are shin pads you can get (foam not plastic) would probably be a good idea for any Judo beginner as when facing other beginners trying ashi waza, (foot sweeps) turns into kicking the shins and hoping the other person falls over

Style
    BJJ
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Tie die spats for the win!!

Style
    MT
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks a lot for the replies guys. Ever since starting the thread I have been looking at some bjj and judo places closer to me and I have to say it sure looks more fun than striking!

You guys are right. I do explain to the instructor about my psoriasis. But, do you guys mean whenever im partnered up with someone I should start off with an explanation as to why im wearing something over my shins?

Style
    MT
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Im just going to make two more posts so I can post a link

Style
    MT
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    4th post

Style
    MT
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Finally the 5th.

Style
    MT
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Something like this seems good and doesnt look like it will easily get off and I can easily wear under the gi pants:

Page 1 of 2 12 Last