Richard Cumpson - Muay Thai / MMA / Koto Togakure Ninjutsu
I am starting an investigation of Richard Cumpson (http://www.myspace.com/schooloftheoni) and would like some extra help from fellow Bullies. Here is the list of his Ranks / Titles / Records as taken from a flier at his school (Scanned PDF attached at the bottom):
- 5th Dan Black Belt Koto Togakure Ryu Ninjutsu (Under Takaida, Hanshi, Yasamoto, Hanshi and Shiga, Sensei)
- 6th Dan Koto Ryu Koppojutsu (Under Yasamoto, Hanshi)
- 3rd Dan Tang Soo Do (Under Master Han)
- Honorary Black Belt and Instructor Certification Eishin Ryu Iaido (Under Nakano, Shihan)
- Instructor Certification KrabiKraBong/Muay Thai (Under Master Silasot)
- Letter of Instructor Certification: Muay Thai (From Brad Olsen)
- Lupinee Bare Knuckle Champion 2001 at 160 lbs.
- Runner up at K1 Middleweight Championships 2000.
- Military Wrestling Champion 1999 at Welterweight.
- 2 Time WMTA Champion at Light Middleweight.
- 4 Time State Kendo Champion.
- 1 Time National Full Contact Champion 1998.
- IMAC Weapons forms Champion 1997-2000.
- Professional Muay Thai 36-2-1
- Amateur Muay Thai 22-0
- Professional MMA 4-2
- Amateur Boxing 6-4
- Professional San Sho 3-0
So far -- I have contacted Brad Olsen (www.harborkickboxing.com) -- Brad wasn't available - but the other school owner didn't recognize Richard Cumpson as a student (let alone an instructor).
There is NO mention of Richard Cumpson on Sherdog (wouldn't he be listed if he was fighting in K1???)
Has anyone heard of Lupinee (not Lumpini - I assume he would spell the stadium correctly if he had fought there)?
Last edited by dweidman; 9/04/2008 7:54pm at .
Have you looked on Sherdog? What makes you suspect he might be a fraud (other than not having a record on Sherdog)?
Edit-Oops, yes you have.
Well - a couple of things.
Originally Posted by Razamataz
1. he is pretty young - 27 yrs old.
2. K1 fighter (Runner up) with no record on Sherdog.
3. No visible scar tissue (pro MT fighter - Bare knuckle Champion).
4. Instead of teaching MT / MMA - he is primarily advertising his business as Ninjutsu.
5. Discussion with him in person led to a lot more questions than answers.
6. Early investigation is coming up negative.
7. Wide / varied skill set - (bare knuckle champion / weapons champion / wrestling champion) - all won within 2 years of each other.
8. Zero mention of his name other than his own information put out (Google "Richard Cumpson").
9. Claimed he wrote techniques in Japanese but can't read or write Japanese now (and mis-pronounces Japanese words that are directly related to his claimed art).
9. Double Sai X-block picture against Katana. :-)
From his website:
Last edited by dweidman; 9/04/2008 6:39pm at .
I just got off the phone with Sifu Pedro Israel, who is an instructor at Harbor Kickboxing. To his knowledge there was no certification passed out to a Richard Cumpson. Sifu Israel informed me that Brad Olsen would be back in town in a week 1/2, and if I wanted to call back he would be able to talk.
Thats what I got so far. Still looking.
check this out, if he had competed in any k-1 in 2000 I guess it would have showed up
Wow he looks like **** , I am basically 30 ( a few more months ) and I look a little young for my age but damn he looks 10 years older than me ...
Originally Posted by dweidman
Good info thus far , I searched a bit ( quickly ) and haven't seen much besides his self promotion either .
P.S. he needs to get that crap on his right arm fixed ( the ink )
Originally Posted by ghost55
“I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.”
Originally Posted by WFMurphyPhD
Oh. One more thing. I asked him directly if he ever competed under any other names. He said no.
Originally Posted by gandp1120
I will attach the email I sent to him on Wednesday 9/3/08 (no reply yet) tomorrow.
I call bogus on:
5th Dan Black Belt Koto Togakure Ryu Ninjutsu (Under Takaida, Hanshi, Yasamoto, Hanshi and Shiga, Sensei)
6th Dan Koto Ryu Koppojutsu (Under Yasamoto, Hanshi)
I am surprised he isn't sponsored by Choson...
I am also skeptical of:
Instructor Certification KrabiKraBong/Muay Thai (Under Master Silasot)
Simply because I can find no reference to anyne named Silasot anywhere... now this in and of itself doesn't mean anything, but generally speaking if there is a guy giving Kabri Kabrong seminars in the states there will be a record of fliers/etc... online.
I would be willing to bet the only real rank he has is the Tang Soo Do one, and I bet that is inflated a degree or two as well.
Here is the email I sent him on the 3rd:
HI Richard -
We met last night after your class. I am still trying to track down some more information and thought perhaps you could help me.
1. Do you have contact information for Nakano Sensei to verify your Black Belt and Instructor Cert in Eishin Ryu Iaido (even just a school name or number would be helpful).
2. Do you have contact information for Master Silasot to verify your Instructor Certification for KrabiKraBong / Muay Thai (again, school name or number would be helpful).
3. Who did you fight and lose to - to become runner up at the K1 Championships in 2000? Your name doesn't appear in any fighting records for K1 that I can find (just your last name - Cumpson).
4. What branch of the Military were you enlisted in (1999) to become Wrestling Champion in Welterweight?
5. What state were you 4 time Kendo champion in? What age / division were you competing at?
6. What organization and fight did you win to become national full contact champion (1998)?
7. Where did you fight professionally for Muay Thai?
8. Where is Lupinee? I can't seem to find any information about this contest at all.
9. What gym did you box for to get an amature boxing record of 6-4?
10. Do you have contact information for Master Han (I can't seem to find information for him either - outside of canada - unless you studied with him there?)
No response yet.
As to the Koto Togakure Ryu Ninjutsu - he claims it is taught at Chiba University in Japan (any bullies in Japan who can verify this?) - within 2 miles of Hatsumi Sensei's classes ???
I will be stopping back next week because he is supposed to have his certifications up on the wall (they are in storage now...).
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO