Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/09/2013 11:31am

Style: Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As Eddie mentioned - it might be a good idea to do your whole commute on a Sunday, that way you won't be worrying about where you go in rush hour traffic.

Good advice from Eddie on a cycle scheme - I would suggest you look at it. I'm afraid that cycling in traffic is something that you get experienced with after time. The good thing is that there will hopefully lots of cyclists around you (London has loads - more the nearer to central London you get), you can follow/copy them (although I wouldn't recommend running red lights ;) - honest!).

Out of curiosity where are you cycling too and ffrom in London?

Welterweight

Posted On:
    2/09/2013 12:05pm

supporting member
     Style: DocePares/MMA(YawYan)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the advice gents.

scipio: The plan is to cycle from home (currently Willesden, soon to be Wembley or possibly Harrow) to work in Wembley, from work to the gym in Harlesden (next to Willesden Junction station) and from there home again.

I don't feel ready to do the whole commute just yet, I think I'm going to do the 5 cycle training the council offers first.

Posted On:
    2/09/2013 12:29pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Try a few routes.
    The weekend idea is good to get a feel for a route, timing etc. Just be aware that a street that's easy to ride on Sunday, might be next to impossible on Monday.
    Ask people who also commute in your specific area for areas to avoid, or bike friendly routes.
    Urban commuting can be sort of counter intuitive in that regard.

Posted On:
    2/09/2013 3:59pm

Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChenPengFi View Post
    Try a few routes.
    The weekend idea is good to get a feel for a route, timing etc. Just be aware that a street that's easy to ride on Sunday, might be next to impossible on Monday.
    Ask people who also commute in your specific area for areas to avoid, or bike friendly routes.
    Urban commuting can be sort of counter intuitive in that regard.
    Additionally, take your routes slow a couple times before you start actually using it to give yourself an idea of what kind of road hazards exist there. My main route has, for example, numerous uncovered access points for ... something or other in the middle of the "bike lane" on a busy major downhill, which means that if I want to push it I can easily outrun the cars there, 40+ mph with no problems. Well, the access points aren't an issue for cars, but at that speed they can puncture one of my tires pretty easily. Depending on your city, your dangers may be different. Mine is not especially bike friendly but it's not horrible either.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/10/2013 6:23am

Style: Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
    Thanks for the advice gents.

scipio: The plan is to cycle from home (currently Willesden, soon to be Wembley or possibly Harrow) to work in Wembley, from work to the gym in Harlesden (next to Willesden Junction station) and from there home again.

I don't feel ready to do the whole commute just yet, I think I'm going to do the 5 cycle training the council offers first.
    You will surprise yourself how quickly you will get used to doing the whole route. With the weather/time of year improving you won't be doing it too much in the dark.

Not sure if this is on your route but the Grand Union canal is a fantastic cycle route - it's one of the few cycle routes from North/West London that is completely car free.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    2/10/2013 6:24am

supporting member
     Style: DocePares/MMA(YawYan)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by scipio View Post
    You will surprise yourself how quickly you will get used to doing the whole route. With the weather/time of year improving you won't be doing it too much in the dark.

Not sure if this is on your route but the Grand Union canal is a fantastic cycle route - it's one of the few cycle routes from North/West London that is completely car free.
    It runs literally directly behind the gym. I'll have to investigate to see if it goes in the right direction though.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234