Style
    sambo
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Dealing with conflicting directions from coaches

I wasn't sure where to put this, so I hope Newbietown is ok.

Let's say I have a coach on Mondays that tells me to keep my hands up no matter what. Even when throwing a power round house to the body or a low kick. But on Wednesdays I have a different coach at the same gym, that insists I pull the arm down as I kick because it generates more power.

In general I would listen to the coach no matter how I personally feel about a technique. But in this case I am having trouble training. If I kick a certain way a couple of hundred times on Monday and then have to change everything up on Wednesday, it starts to mess with my ability. I know it sounds like a little thing, and the body mechanics are basically the same as you still have to turn the body to counter act the rotation of the hips. The only thing different is actually dropping the arm. But it's really messing with me.

I haven't tried talking to either of them about the predicament, as I don't really want to start waves or an argument about which method is better. Does it make sense for me to avoid the coach I don't agree with and just stop training on Wednesdays?

Thanks for the advice.

Style
    stick, pistol, rifle
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Are the instructors equal or is one more senior than the other? If so, I would go to the more senior one, and ask him which way to do it. If neither is senior, then you are just going to tell one that the other coach told you to do it a different way and let them get on the same page.

Personally I've do kicks both ways, and they both have merrits. Most Thai boxing coaches tell you to drop the arm to generate more torque. A lot of kickboxing places will tell you to keep your hands up all the time as a begginer just to get that ingrained into you, and then let you drop them later as you get more experienced with distancing and timing. So, it may just be something as simple as that.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Style
    BJJ, FMA
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I would say throw it one way on Monday and the other on Wed. I know that is quite tricky but the end result should be you being able to do it either way. If you find that you absolutely don't be afraid to talk to both of the couches and have them figure out the best approach for you.

Style
    Kyokushin
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Diesel_tke View Post
    Are the instructors equal or is one more senior than the other? If so, I would go to the more senior one, and ask him which way to do it. If neither is senior, then you are just going to tell one that the other coach told you to do it a different way and let them get on the same page.
    This. Ask them.

Style
    grappling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They would probably like to know that they have conflicting teachings going on.

Also, what Diesel said.

Style
    grappling
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    double post. got it.

Style
    Kyokushin Karate
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As Diesel said above ask them. One of the Sensi at my dojo goes straight for a mawashi geri to my head if I drop my hands when kicking during sparring. He's dropped me twice that way. I'm learning to keep my hands up regardless. It feels a bit awkward but the more I practice that way, the more natural it starting to feel. I'm very new though. I have seen advanced students or a guy that also trains Muay Thai in our dojo drop the hand during a kick. My Shihan teaches me to counter punch at the same time I block the kick when someone does that though. It's similar to a super man punch but with a shin block instead of the jump. Good luck man!