• Register
Our Sponsors:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    4/28/2004 7:02am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yes, in my opinion it is probably the best introduction to have. It will teach you positional dominace, and as the old adage goes 'Position before submission'

I warn you now Angry Spastic, if you say one word about headbutting, biting, Testa or dirty tricks to these guys i will troll you relentlessly until you are a broken emotional mess. DO NOT ruin this chance to actually get some decent training !!!!!!!!!!11

Community Corrections Officer

Posted On:
    4/28/2004 7:05am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, TKD BB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Folkstyle, Freestyle and Greco are EXCELLENT introductions to grappling and groundfighting. They aren't the be-all and end-all of it, for the very reasons you mentioned. But they will be a great start.

Matt

Posted On:
    4/28/2004 7:36am

Style: MMA-Vale Tudo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wrestling is a tough sport, i think its great.
    Once a fighter, Always a fighter. Shawn
    -Styles i train in-
    Judo
    Bjj
    Mtkickboxing
    Western boxing
    Wrestling

Community Corrections Officer

Posted On:
    4/29/2004 6:50am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, TKD BB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Osiris is correct. And where the heck is Vargas on ths one?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/29/2004 11:44am

Style: Uechi Ryu, MMA, boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Re: Is amatuer wrestling a good intro...

Originally posted by Angry_Spastic
    ...to grappling in general?

They only let you pin your opponent on the back and they have no submissions legalised.

I ask because I'm going to a class on Saturday, run by some Russians. They might teach me some Sambo tricks as well, and make me erm, T3H D3ADLY.
    Wrestling is the jam. While you don't do armlocks like Gracie or something, it's a good foundaton to gaining the advantage. Generally, it's about strength but may wrestlers do have a slippery quality to them. However, it like judo, boxing, UFC to a degree and sport MA/MMA tournaments have weight classes. The only reason I don't put wrestling in my "style" is I only did that for only a year. Plus, heavyweights are going to fight a different match than for example a two people my size. I don't care how strong you are, if a 250 pound kid is pinning you, you are not getting him off. Even so, if you are on your back, you still have a fighting chance than if you are on your stomach, as far as MMA goes. Believe me, if there was a wrestling school aroung I'd do that in A HEARTBEAT in addition to what I do.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/29/2004 1:03pm

Style: mulatto homeless boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    UPDATE! UPDATE! UPDATE!

I have spoken this afternoon to a student of Gene Lebell's (and formerly Mas Oyama's) who lives on the Gold Coast (a regional city near Brisbane).

He is interested in training me! Limb breaks! Chokeouts! Neckcranks! HOORAY!

UPDATE! UPDATE! UPDATE!
    You started with something sensible, but I see you can't stay away from your fucked-up ways.

Please take a step back and DO go to amateur wrestling

Skinnyweight

Posted On:
    4/30/2004 1:21am

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    They don't work that well if some wrestler is pounding your ass because he knows how to get superior position and you don't. I like BJJ, but wrestling will teach you about positional dominance like nothing else. I've heard it said that with BJJ you can submit someone from virtually any position, but wrestling is what allows you to choose the position.

Dirty Red

Posted On:
    4/30/2004 1:34am

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree with SunTzu. With over 10+ years now of wrestling (folk, greco, freestyle) I find myself quickly assimilating into BJJ and actually having an edge the other guys dont. It worked well for me in Judo and JJJ aswell. It is an awsome base and sport that cant be overlooked.
    A.K.A. rocks your socks.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/30/2004 9:12am

Style: mulatto homeless boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And pray Kiozz, what is wrong with limb breaks, chokeouts and cranks???
    Nothing wrong with those AS. If the guy does exist and if he really is a student of Gene LeBell (to what extent?), then go for it and good luck.
    The problem is that you're ready to discharge a legit school (amateur wrestling or Judo) in favour of some guy saying 1 of the 3 magic words (Testa, Glima, Gene LeBell) any day of the week. The result is that you aren't training in ****.

See if the guy is a legit student of LeBell, and to what extent. If (Since) it's bullshido, go to amateur wrestling.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/30/2004 7:58pm

Style: wrestling/BIFF

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    the bloke you will be going to will probably be yuri markov angry spastic. he is a really good coach but i warn you to take him seriuosly and dont muck around, did you use the website i gave you to find him. he is a very good coach really and if i remember correctly you should have a few strong guys to drill with.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast