Sponsored Links Spacer Image

You have to work the look.

Posted On:
    2/02/2013 3:31pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by lionknight View Post
    One douchebag can also cause you to loose several good students who don't want to deal with that crap.
    Seriously, I've seen it twice where guys single handedly kill the attendance of all our club's casual members.

Posted On:
    2/02/2013 4:09pm

Style: Siling Labuyo Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by erezb View Post
    You need to work on your social/business skills, you provide a service, can you afford loosing clients like that? If so, have fun and keep it real i guess, if not, than being a little bit polite, at least with a new guy/stranger will only do good to your school.
    Nah, sounds like Omega sussed him out pretty quickly, and wouldn't have wanted him as a student anyway. Any instructor picks up that skill soon enough, and then you have the choice of a) ditching him or b) pretending to be his best buddy, even though you know it's going to be agony teaching him and you will have to constantly remind yourself that his money spends as well as anyone else's.

Administrator

Posted On:
    2/02/2013 4:34pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I opened up my first location back in 1995. In that time I've only had to verbally embarrass or physically get involved with idiots about 8 times. I am nice, not a push over.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    2/02/2013 6:45pm

supporting member
     Style: Short Fist Boxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    But what does bother me is when, while I'm working on specific combinations (jab, cross, liver shot), some random choad wanders up to the bag adjacent to mine, and starts throwing karate punches and spin kicks like he's fighting an imaginary hoard of armless grandmothers; armless because he's punching from the waist as if he has no risk of anyone throwing a punch back his way, and grandmothers because he acted as if his punches were one-shot KOs.
    I know that of which you speak.
    You can always tell the difference between the guys who have some measure of experience, are there to do their training and get a sweat going, and the idiots who wander in because they want to show their stuff to whomever else dares to suppose they are the only badass in the gym who can hit a big leather bag.
    I've learned to ignore the idiots. And its easy enough to make them feel stupid by just doing your thing and not talking to them.
    Its not all bad though. I've met some guys at the gym who I ended up doing pad work or even light sparring with who are decent fellows.
    Most dumbasses will exit sheepishly after realizing that their two minute explosion on the bag has winded them, and that you are working through a half-hour workout with relative ease.
    I usually use bag work as a warmup, and get a good sweat going before hitting the weights.
    One idiot last week rather hilariously got his leg caught in his headphone cord when he attempted a spinning back kick and missed the bag.
    That was funny.
    " If one wants to have a friend one must also want to wage war for him: and to wage war one must be capable of being an enemy." - Fr. Nietzsche 'On The Friend' Thus Spake Zarathustra

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/03/2013 7:22am

Style: Injured

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I used to do Aikido, and there was this real fucking douchebag.

He was awarded an early Shodan so he's a "sensei" now, and he wasn't that good, only been training for four years when I had been for three. And he harps about me respecting him as a senior and **** because I don't really respect him, this guy had a real attitude problem.

Anyway I came here and I started doing Judo.

After a while of Judo I had a discussion with "sensei" after he trained me and the rest of the Aikido class because the lead instructor never shows up (never), and I dared speak of aliveness and really fighting and ****.

He said that he could use Aikido moves on me if I resisted.

I told him let's try...

So we start moving around I have my trusty grip on his lapel and sleeve, I tug around a little to test the waters, and he's just doing fuckall I don't even know what kind of grip that was, so anyway he turns for a shitty Uki Otoshi or something like that expecting me to fly over like I usually do which puts him on his knees with his back exposed.

I put him in a RNC not just any RNC A REAL FUCKING SECURE RNC LIKE HOUDINI COULDN'T ESCAPE THAT ****, one arm around his neck clasping the other arm which is also behind his head.

I tell him it's over and I let go.

He says no it's not.

So I walk away mid conversation.

Never did Aikido again after that.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/03/2013 11:58am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I train three times a week BJJ. Two of those, the Muay Thai guys have the mat before it's our turn. Sometimes they stay a bit more without realizing (like 5 min tops), but their coach apologizes so all is well, we stay 5 minutes more and that's that. Thus we apologize for our tardiness to the Hapkido guys that train after us.

So, the owner recently gave permission to an old gentleman ( whom I have seen several times hitting the weight room, talking non-stop, and getting into other people's conversations non-invited) to teach Taekwondo and Hapkido. I have heard him discuss how BJJ is for pussies and closet homosexuals with other people around the gym, including my own BJJ trainer. Everyone thinks the oldman is just being an oldman and no one wants to correct him, since all he does is talk, talk, talk and injuring the elderly is not well regarded.

The third bjj class is on Fridays, 2 hours. Before us the oldman teaches Taekwondo. After us he teaches Hapkido. Sometimes due to traffic my coach arrives 5-10 minutes late. This Friday the oldman was some 10-15 minutes over his alloted time. He didn't apologize, didn't do anything. I guess he thought that since the bjj coach arrived 5 min late he was entitled that time.

Anyway, we finish our class and as usual, since the Taekwondo guys took 15 minutes more than was their due, we did the same. By time we were 5 minutes over our schedule the oldman was already angrily talking with the owner about how we were stealing his time. This ensued in a hot argument where the oldman would only talk to the owner about how disrespectful the action was, not even bothering to talk directly to my teacher and refusing to acknowledge that he had done the same.

Fucking oldman is lucky my mestre is so calm. The muay thai coach would have already beaten him to a pulp to shut him up after all the **** he says about us.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    2/03/2013 6:54pm

Style: Injured

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by doofaloofa View Post
    Did you throw down your magic pants in disgust as you left?
    I would never desecrate the magic pants.

There is no martial artist in you.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    2/04/2013 6:19am

supporting member
     Style: MMA

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Phrost View Post

One of the gyms I go to has a row of heavybags; they're mostly ceremonial because they're mounted about 12" from a wall of mirrors. This doesn't bother me, because I can 'juggle' the bag I'm working on by moving around it as a part of footwork...err work.

I'm always the only one using any of the bags. This doesn't bother me because the rest of the gym is to my back, and I'm not there to make friends or socialize anyway, and so I wouldn't know, much less care, if I was getting anything from dirty looks to having a chorus of enthralled fans as I hit the bag.

But what does bother me is when, while I'm working on specific combinations (jab, cross, liver shot), some random choad wanders up to the bag adjacent to mine, and starts throwing karate punches and spin kicks like he's fighting an imaginary hoard of armless grandmothers; armless because he's punching from the waist as if he has no risk of anyone throwing a punch back his way, and grandmothers because he acted as if his punches were one-shot KOs.

If it weren't for the idiotic placement of mirrors I wouldn't have noticed any of this except peripherally. And I'm only posting this because I feel conflicted as to whether I made the right call to ignore him, or to give him my best "are you fucking serious?" look and go back to ignoring him.

What say you?

P.S. I just realized I'm wearing a Bullshido T-shirt.
    Id ask "are you from Europe?"
    King without a crown
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123