1/22/2013 6:08pm

Style: BJJ, Wing Chun Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Lost weight now have Diastasis Recti.

Short Background:
    Was 350
    Now 290

When I do any abdominal work from my back, I see the football sized puff of my abdomen. Which wasn't visible at my higher weight.

I didn't know what it was until I saw a comedic article on Cracked about "Horror stories they don't tell you about being pregnant".

Well, not pregnant, just really fat and trying to get back to jiu jitsu.

My issues are:
    1) Could the separation of the muscles be the reason I have had a herniated disc in my L4/L5? I imagine, as I have no idea, that by losing that strength/structure in the front of my spine could be at the root cause. Is this correct?

2) I am still very heavy now, but my goal is to get to 260/250. Is it possible to correct this to a point where I could start going back to jiu jitsu? Or is the only answer surgery?

Has anyone had this issue from weight (Not pregnancy) and still do fine grappling?

THanks for any help.

Posted On:
    1/22/2013 7:50pm

Style: Does exercise count?

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by badacid View Post
    Short Background:
    Was 350
    Now 290

When I do any abdominal work from my back, I see the football sized puff of my abdomen. Which wasn't visible at my higher weight.

I didn't know what it was until I saw a comedic article on Cracked about "Horror stories they don't tell you about being pregnant".

Well, not pregnant, just really fat and trying to get back to jiu jitsu.

My issues are:
    1) Could the separation of the muscles be the reason I have had a herniated disc in my L4/L5? I imagine, as I have no idea, that by losing that strength/structure in the front of my spine could be at the root cause. Is this correct?

2) I am still very heavy now, but my goal is to get to 260/250. Is it possible to correct this to a point where I could start going back to jiu jitsu? Or is the only answer surgery?

Has anyone had this issue from weight (Not pregnancy) and still do fine grappling?

THanks for any help.

1. It's entirely possible, but I wouldn't think much of it either way. Somewhere around 40% - 50% of asymptomatic people have some for of disc "abnormality" including disc herniations. There is very little if any evidence to suggest herniations are causal for pain or dysfunction.

2. There are physical therapists who specialize in diastasis rectus. The quality of PTs is incredibly variable, but I imagine seeking someone who works with post-natal women would give you your best appraisal because that is when the issue is most frequently seen. I know very little about diastatis rectus, but I've seen some good articles by Diane Lee and Linda-Joy Lee. See if these answer any questions:

http://dianelee.ca/education/article_diastasis.php
    http://dianelee.ca/education/article-dra-intouch.php

Perhaps using their "find a physio" section on their site http://dianelee.ca/about/find-a-physio.php you can find someone nearby or ask the nearest person if they know anyone near you. PTs in my experience are very willing to refer you to others.

Posted On:
    1/23/2013 9:45am

Style: Boxing,Kickboxing K1

Hell yeah! Hell no!

Attached paper

Hope this paper will help with your decisions.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails science.pdf  

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/23/2013 11:38am

Style: BJJ, Wing Chun Do

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thank you both. I am looking for a PT w/ prenatal experience as well as taking the time to read the document you posted.

Posted On:
    1/29/2013 3:52pm

Style: Does exercise count?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I spend a good deal reading more than I should about things that don't apply to me. I saw this a few minutes ago and instantly thought about this thread.

http://www.juliewiebept.com/diastasi...gasp-crunches/

Not that it's a solution in itself, but sometimes knowing the things not to do are as or more important than adding something.