C.E. B.S.net Ambassador

Posted On:
    12/20/2012 3:22am

supporting member
     Style: (Beautiful) Spring Roll

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Human evolution, punching and "buttressing"

Something about how our evolution is connected with our abilities to punch someone in the face with our fists... :-)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-20790294

Fighting may have shaped evolution of human hand
    Fighting may have shaped the evolution of the human hand, according to a new study by a US team.
    The University of Utah researchers used instruments to measure the forces and acceleration when martial artists hit a punch bag.
    They found that the structure of the fist provides support that increases the ability of the knuckles to transmit "punching" force.
    Details of the research have been published in the Journal of Experimental Biology.
    "We asked the question: 'can you strike harder with a fist than with an open palm'," co-author Prof David Carrier told BBC News.
    "We were surprised because the fist strikes were not more forceful than the strikes with the palm. In terms of the work on the bag there is really no difference."
    Of course, the surface that strikes the target with a fist is smaller, so there is more stress from a fist strike.
    "The force per area is higher in a fist strike and that is what causes localised tissue damage," said Prof Carrier.
    "There is a performance advantage in that regard. But the real focus of the study was whether the proportions of the human hand allow buttressing (support)."
    The team found that making a clenched fist did indeed provide protective buttressing for the delicate bones of the hand. Making a fist increased the stiffness of the second meta-carpo-phalangeal, or MCP, joint (these joints are the knuckles visible when the hand is clenched as a fist) by a factor of four.
    It also doubled the ability of the proximal phalanges (the bones of the fingers that articulate with the MCP joints) to transmit a punching force.
    Dual use
    In their paper, Prof Carrier and Michael H Morgan from the University of Utah's school of medicine, point out that the human hand has also been shaped by the need for manual dexterity. But they say that a number of different hand proportions are compatible with an enhanced ability to manipulate objects.
    "There may, however, be only one set of skeletal proportions that allows the hand to function both as a mechanism for precise manipulation and as a club for striking," the researchers write.
    "Ultimately, the evolutionary significance of the human hand may lie in its remarkable ability to serve two seemingly incompatible, but intrinsically human, functions."
    Prof Carrier commented: "The question for me is 'why wasn't this discussed 30, 40 years ago.' As far as I know it isn't in the literature."
    Asked whether the idea that aggression may have played a key role in shaping the human body might previously have been unpalatable to researchers, Prof Carrier explained: "I think we're more in that situation now than we were in the past.
    "I think there is a lot of resistance, maybe more so among academics than people in general - resistance to the idea that, at some level humans are by nature aggressive animals. I actually think that attitude, and the people who have tried to make the case that we don't have a nature - those people have not served us well.
    "I think we would be better off if we faced the reality that we have these strong emotions and sometimes they prime us to behave in violent ways. I think if we acknowledged that we'd be better able to prevent violence in future."

CLICK & WATCH
    :
    I got BULLSHIDO ON TV!!!

"Bruce Lee sucks because I slammed my nuts with nunchucks trying to do that stupid **** back in the day. I still managed to have two kids. I forgive you Bruce.
    " - by Vorpal

Posted On:
    12/20/2012 3:36am

Style: Boxing,Kickboxing K1

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Great read, thenx.
    I have heard somewhere that southpaws had an evolutionary advantage because of their ability to win fights....
    http://www.economist.com/node/3471297
    Last edited by erezb; 12/20/2012 3:43am at .

Posted On:
    12/20/2012 4:39am

Style: Boxing,Kickboxing K1

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My question, regarding the "paper" i linked above, is why south paws are rare in the first place? How are they disadvantaged? It states that they are lighter and smaller on average...but i don't know if that is the reason.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    12/20/2012 11:11am

supporting member
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by erezb View Post
    Great read, thenx.
    I have heard somewhere that southpaws had an evolutionary advantage because of their ability to win fights....
    http://www.economist.com/node/3471297
    So, based on that article. Left handers are trouble makers.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    12/20/2012 12:56pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It is kind of interesting how people naturally ball up their fists and start swinging when violence erupts; seems equally plausible that other strikes would be as intuitive (I hear this varies based on what part of the world you're from).

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/20/2012 6:45pm

Style: JJJ/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Batman Smells View Post
    The devil sits on the left shoulder
    They're also sneaky. There's a story in the bible about a cack-hander stabbing someone (a king, possibly) because being left-handed he kept his sword on the other hip, under his man dress, and so passed possibly the worst weapons search in all of recorded history.

Posted On:
    12/20/2012 6:56pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The author failed to consider the dominance of Wing Chun's biu jee strikes which claim your centreline while simultaneously delivering devastating damage.
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/20/2012 7:35pm

Style: Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    It is kind of interesting how people naturally ball up their fists and start swinging when violence erupts; seems equally plausible that other strikes would be as intuitive (I hear this varies based on what part of the world you're from).
    I was always fond of headbutts and kicks when I was a wee lad, I blame that playing soccer and doing taekwondo when I was younger.

C.E. B.S.net Ambassador

Posted On:
    12/20/2012 8:30pm

supporting member
     Style: (Beautiful) Spring Roll

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PizDoff View Post
    The author failed to consider the dominance of Wing Chun's biu jee strikes which claim your centreline while simultaneously delivering devastating damage.
    Second proof that you really cannot escape your past...

Not only does PizDoff gently remind me of my chunner beginnings on here, Youtube/Google has randomly chosen a still picture from a Siu Nim Tau form I uploaded a long time ago as my avatar and doesn't let me change it to anything else... Folks keep asking me couple of times daily whether I'm pissing myself... :-D

CLICK & WATCH
    :
    I got BULLSHIDO ON TV!!!

"Bruce Lee sucks because I slammed my nuts with nunchucks trying to do that stupid **** back in the day. I still managed to have two kids. I forgive you Bruce.
    " - by Vorpal

Valiant Monk of Booze & War

Posted On:
    12/21/2012 8:17am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: BJJ/C-JKD/KAAALIII!!!!!!!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Winter-is-Due-to-Aliens-picture-by-sheamacleod.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	26.3 KB