Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/18/2013 1:46pm

Style: Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

I need advice about running

Hey guys I'm 21 and looking to join the air force and have to lose 20 pounds. I was told to run three miles a day which used to be easy for me when I did xc. Are there any tips anyone can give me on how I can get my mileage up and if you have any advice I would appreciate it thank you

Transmaniacon MC

Posted On:
    1/18/2013 1:53pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by terbeckt View Post
    Hey guys I'm 21 and looking to join the air force and have to lose 20 pounds. I was told to run three miles a day which used to be easy for me when I did xc. Are there any tips anyone can give me on how I can get my mileage up and if you have any advice I would appreciate it thank you
    If you have a smartphone, get the RunKeeper app. If not, just use the web interface. Both are free. Logging your progress goes a long way towards helping you get there.

If you're not running now, start tonight. Run a mile. Do it in less than 20 minutes (which would include a whole lot of walking). Next time, beat your time. Keep doing that until you're under 10 minutes, at which point adding an extra mile or two will be easy.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/18/2013 1:59pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have been running on a tredmil and I do 11 min miles but I have been doing it for awhile my legs just hurt im not sure if its because I never used a tred mil and I do keep track of how much I run every week

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    1/18/2013 2:03pm

staff

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good running shoes,

Good running shoes... GOOD RUNNING SHOES

Then run as far as you can, then walk, then run, keep going until you hit the 3 mile point.

Record the time taken. Repeat until you can run the distance with out stopping.

Once you can run the distance start interval training over the same distance until you find your speed per/mile improving. At your age you should be able to crack 8 minute miles as a MINIMUM after about three months worth of running.

I'm 48 and I now only run 3-4 times a week to a distance of 10k per run with a 17lb rucksack over a hill climbing course roughly 58 minutes. 3 miles I can smash in 25-26 minutes with day sack.

Once you're running starts to improve, grab a day sack and put a 2ltr bottle of water in there and run with the extra weight to build resistance and improve cardio values, repeat that process over 8 weeks and at that point add another 2ltr bottle.

Record the distance and times for all your runs to provide valuable feedback.

Standard and obvious still applies, warn up and warm down, make sure you fully stretch before and after running.
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

~Ella Wheeler

Transmaniacon MC

Posted On:
    1/18/2013 2:05pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have been running on a tredmil and I do 11 min miles but I have been doing it for awhile my legs just hurt im not sure if its because I never used a tred mil and I do keep track of how much I run every week
    If you're only running once a week, that may be part of the problem. I'm 38 - if I don't run every 3-4 days, then I do feel really sore after a run.

If you're only doing 11 minute miles, you're not likely to pass PRT. You should be running 1.5 miles under 13 minutes, which is pretty much a brisk jog, not Olympic sprinting.

Do you have a deadline for MEPS? Or, are you just chatting with recruiters at this point?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/18/2013 2:08pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock Ape View Post
    Good running shoes,

Good running shoes... GOOD RUNNING SHOES

Then run as far as you can, then walk, then run, keep going until you hit the 3 mile point.

Record the time taken. Repeat until you can run the distance with out stopping.

Once you can run the distance start interval training over the same distance until you find your speed per/mile improving. At your age you should be able to crack 8 minute miles as a MINIMUM after about three months worth of running.

I'm 48 and I now only run 3-4 times a week to a distance of 10k per run with a 17lb rucksack over a hill climbing course roughly 58 minutes. 3 miles I can smash in 25-26 minutes with day sack.

Once you're running starts to improve, grab a day sack and put a 2ltr bottle of water in there and run with the extra weight to build resistance and improve cardio values, repeat that process over 8 weeks and at that point add another 2ltr bottle.

Record the distance and times for all your runs to provide valuable feedback.

Standard and obvious still applies, warn up and warm down, make sure you fully stretch before and after running.
    Ok thanks this is what I did today ill let you know how well this works. Im hopeing since I used to run 6 miles a day till about 2 years sgo that I can get it faster but I guess it is like starting over and the 2 gallon water bottle is a great idea. I really appreciate the advice!

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    1/18/2013 2:09pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh and forgot to add, if you're looking at joining the military, talk to a recruiter and gain the fitness requirements, then set those as your immediate goals.

~Ella Wheeler

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    1/18/2013 2:14pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok thanks this is what I did today ill let you know how well this works. Im hopeing since I used to run 6 miles a day till about 2 years sgo that I can get it faster but I guess it is like starting over and the 2 gallon water bottle is a great idea. I really appreciate the advice!
    2 liter not 2 gallon !! Roughly 5lb in weight.

My military fitness tests :

ROFA - Regiment Operational Fitness Assessment - 6 miles carrying 55lb in less than 1hr 40 minutes

PFT - Personal Fitness Test - 1.5 miles best effort in 12 minutes or less.

Psychology is a big part of physical training, if you know 6 miles was a distance you've regularly run before, you're already a foot on the rung of the ladder, all you need to do is build up steadily so that you don't pick up injuries.

Good luck mate, keep us up to speed with your training

~Ella Wheeler

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/23/2013 11:51am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I talked to a recruiter he said to lose 20 pounds I cant do aanything medical yet because I still have braces on and so far this week I have ran 8.5 miles and will run 9 more by the end of friday I missed one day because of work the recruiter told me to run 3 milea everyday

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    1/23/2013 12:13pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Completely serious here - how much do you weigh and what is your height? If you're so heavy you need to lose 20 pounds before the Air Force will even let you go to basic training, you may want to consult a physician before doing any strenuous exercise.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast