My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    1/23/2013 4:59pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Res Judicata View Post
    I just watched the 06 and 07. Seriously? This is utterly ridiculous. Look at that last one--you can even do the most common counter to tomoe nage any more (tap the leg and slide around). How are you supposed to transition to ne waza effectively? And apparently once you're opponent gets the lapel grip, you're stuck because the most effective ways of stripping it are now illegal.

I'm still not sure how the same sided grips work, which is my only concern for my own Judo. I like hand throws from a same-side lapel grip (tai otoshi-seoi otoshi-seoi nage).

My dojo uses the "classic" rules, fortunately--no kani basami, no kawazu gake, but otherwise grip and throw as you like.
    The same side grip (as used in say Kata Eri Seoinage or Tai Otoshi), and the over the back grip on the same side require immediate attack now, whereas they used to be OK hold for 3-5 seconds without attacking. So you can use them, but you have to attack right away.

The no leg grab for transition to ne waza is silly, I can't see h ow that was being used to stall or escape being outgripped. I think they are trying to make it easier to referee. Simply, no touching the legs with the hands, period.

Ben
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/23/2013 5:12pm

Style: Judo, Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    I hope the refs give some latitude at first, otherwise it' will be a shido bloodbath.
    With the announcement of these new rules by the IJF, there was a decision by the Judo Federation of Australia (JFA) that these would only apply in national competitions during the IJF trial period. All state based tournaments would retain existing rule-sets until there was a clearer decision as to what the longer-term path would be - This being said, it did not allay some of the concern that was expressed at club level, with coaches nevertheless spending time running through these new rules and their implications for existing drills.

Interestingly however, as of yesterday, it has been announced that JFA will not apply the new rule-set at the upcoming national tournaments in February (2013 ACT Open and 2013 Queensland Open) - http://www.ausjudo.com.au/news/index...m&NewsID=30214. This is primarily due to the lack of opportunity for referrees and players to effectively prepare for this new rule-set and "concerns about the high probability of misinterpretation". These rules are still being applied at the 2013 Australian Nationals and OJU events.

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    1/23/2013 5:46pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by r12477 View Post
    With the announcement of these new rules by the IJF, there was a decision by the Judo Federation of Australia (JFA) that these would only apply in national competitions during the IJF trial period. All state based tournaments would retain existing rule-sets until there was a clearer decision as to what the longer-term path would be - This being said, it did not allay some of the concern that was expressed at club level, with coaches nevertheless spending time running through these new rules and their implications for existing drills.

Interestingly however, as of yesterday, it has been announced that JFA will not apply the new rule-set at the upcoming national tournaments in February (2013 ACT Open and 2013 Queensland Open) - http://www.ausjudo.com.au/news/index...m&NewsID=30214. This is primarily due to the lack of opportunity for referrees and players to effectively prepare for this new rule-set and "concerns about the high probability of misinterpretation". These rules are still being applied at the 2013 Australian Nationals and OJU events.
    Well, it's nice to see some common sense on that part of at least one Judo NGB.

Ben
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Posted On:
    1/24/2013 10:26am

Style: Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ben,

I understand that you have to attack immediately, I'm just wondering what counts as an "attack" in this context. I'll give you an example. A classic entry for seoi nage involves pulling uke down as you step around him and then entering for the throw as he comes up. Sometimes you have to do this a few times to get the proper reaction. Is that still permitted with the same side grip, or do I have to drag him around with the a traditional grip and then cross over as I enter for seoi nage? I'm assuming I'm permitted to attack immediately in combination with that grip (e.g. ko uchi to tai otoshi).
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12