Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/16/2013 6:51pm

Style: Judo, Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Video for New IJF Rules on leg grabs

The following URL has started to be circulated which includes some video clarifications on what constitutes illegal leg grabs, grip breaks and hansoku make under the new IJF rule set.

I thought this may be of interest to this forum.

http://refereeusb.judobase.org/live/...app/index.html
    Last edited by r12477; 1/16/2013 6:54pm at .

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    1/17/2013 7:09am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow at the one where the guy goes for a half-arsed sacrifice but his opponent gets DQ'd for grabbing his leg to pass the guard a bit too quickly. They're surely going to need a ref call for "groundwork now initiated, please feel free to touch your opponent's lower extremities" to make this look even slightly like working.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/17/2013 5:27pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PointyShinyBurn View Post
    Wow at the one where the guy goes for a half-arsed sacrifice but his opponent gets DQ'd for grabbing his leg to pass the guard a bit too quickly. They're surely going to need a ref call for "groundwork now initiated, please feel free to touch your opponent's lower extremities" to make this look even slightly like working.
    Yeah, there are a few videos there that I had to watch a second or third time to clarify exactly where the disqualification action took place. This was because in some instances, particularly in the transition to newaza, it is not always clear.

Posted On:
    1/18/2013 5:21pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd like to note that this is a pretty well-executed tool for referees. Bravo to the development team.

And wow, that's some great judo that they're punishing. I'm sad. Judo is dumb*.

* I still play and compete. It's not that dumb. But this is dumb.
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    1/22/2013 7:05pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree, I was like WTF, HSM for that?

I must have missed the part about the illegal grip cuts. I'll have to go and look again.

Ben
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Posted On:
    1/22/2013 7:17pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I looked a bit more deeply. Still nothing on two handed grip cuts.

The leg grab stuff is a bit silly. I think the current rules (as of last year) were working. The negative Judo/gripping stuff is just a minor extension of what has been around for a while.

Ben

Posted On:
    1/22/2013 8:41pm

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR View Post
    I looked a bit more deeply. Still nothing on two handed grip cuts.
    Ben, I see it under '06 - valid' and '07 - not valid', which for some reason don't have sound or competition examples of the grip breaks.
    What a disgrace it is for a man to grow old without ever seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable. -Xenophon's Socrates

Posted On:
    1/23/2013 1:15pm

Style: Judo & BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just watched the 06 and 07. Seriously? This is utterly ridiculous. Look at that last one--you can even do the most common counter to tomoe nage any more (tap the leg and slide around). How are you supposed to transition to ne waza effectively? And apparently once you're opponent gets the lapel grip, you're stuck because the most effective ways of stripping it are now illegal.

I'm still not sure how the same sided grips work, which is my only concern for my own Judo. I like hand throws from a same-side lapel grip (tai otoshi-seoi otoshi-seoi nage).

My dojo uses the "classic" rules, fortunately--no kani basami, no kawazu gake, but otherwise grip and throw as you like.
    Last edited by Res Judicata; 1/23/2013 1:18pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/23/2013 4:46pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Res Judicata View Post
    I'm still not sure how the same sided grips work, which is my only concern for my own Judo. I like hand throws from a same-side lapel grip (tai otoshi-seoi otoshi-seoi nage).
    The rules on this as described by our local state referee commission chairman was that same side grips are allowed, but only if followed by immediate attack. Shido if not followed by attack.

Posted On:
    1/23/2013 4:55pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1point2 View Post
    Ben, I see it under '06 - valid' and '07 - not valid', which for some reason don't have sound or competition examples of the grip breaks.
    thanks, got it. Someone posted that specific video on the new judoforum.

That's going to be a lot harder to adjust to than the leg grab stuff. Two handed grip breaking is pretty much well internalized in myself and my students. Dammit, spent years on how to do them, and use them positively to set up attack sequences, drill sequences, argh. I hope the refs give some latitude at first, otherwise it' will be a shido bloodbath.

This will put a premium on getting a useable grip first for sure. Also, on how to attack/defend effectively from different grips, which is an upside I suppose.

Ben
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast