Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Extraordinarily Ordinary

Posted On:
    1/16/2013 3:48pm

supporting member
     Style: TKD, CMA & American Kenpo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrapper View Post
    Universal background checks? Sounds reasonable.
    A better background check system? I can handle that.
    Absolutely, criminal background, domestic violence, and the in-patient mental health / substance treatment databases can be used.
    AWB a la 1992 debacle? It has no chance to pass, yet it's still in there. Is this his "punching bag" measure so the other stuff will seem more palatable, or does he really think this will work?

His own party has no confidence in the ban, but Obama speaks as if it is a sure thing. What does he know that we don't?
    No way this will pass. New York took one up the ass, but this won't get through the house.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    1/16/2013 7:14pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Universal background checks? Sounds reasonable.
    I disagree wholeheartedly for a couple reasons. First, the government shouldn't dictate how I dispose of my legally owned personal property. If I want to sell a gun to my neighbor, it's none of the government's business.

Second - give an inch, take a mile. Incrementalism is how they will ultimately cut our balls off like they've done to all of Europe. There are enough laws on the books. No more.

His heart was visible, and the dismal sack that maketh excrement of what is eaten.

Posted On:
    1/16/2013 8:07pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Stick View Post
    I am in agreement; the AWB/hicap ban are the sacrificial lamb conservatives can publicly slaughter in order to pass the rest of it which has not only wide public support but apparent support amongst even tgose conservative leglislators who will need the cover come primary season.
    There is almost zero support among conservative legislators. That's what the media has been saying since the shooting, but it's bullshit. There will be more Democrats in the House that vote against any legislation than Republicans who vote for any legislation.

Extraordinarily Ordinary

Posted On:
    1/16/2013 9:08pm

supporting member
     Style: TKD, CMA & American Kenpo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    I disagree wholeheartedly for a couple reasons. First, the government shouldn't dictate how I dispose of my legally owned personal property. If I want to sell a gun to my neighbor, it's none of the government's business.
    How well do you know your neighbor? Are you willing to take a chance that he or she isn't some nut-job that has slipped through the cracks and is a wanted serial killer?
    Quote Originally Posted by Devil View Post
    Second - give an inch, take a mile. Incrementalism is how they will ultimately cut our balls off like they've done to all of Europe. There are enough laws on the books. No more.
    I have to agree with you on this point.

Posted On:
    1/16/2013 9:31pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by slamdunc View Post
    How well do you know your neighbor? Are you willing to take a chance that he or she isn't some nut-job that has slipped through the cracks and is a wanted serial killer?
    I have to agree with you on this point.

If my neighbor murders someone with a gun he buys from me, I'm no more responsible than if he murders someone with a kitchen knife or a Cadillac or a baseball bat he buys from me.

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    1/16/2013 9:46pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's a shame how quickly the conversation turned from dead babes to "the government wants your guns!". Both sides of the aisle aught to be ashamed for their rhetoric.

At least the President is taking action, like a president should. He's not stupid, and knows full well the resistance he'll meet. Obama welcomes resistance. The GOP stance is, as usual inaction, and moderates will note it for 2016.

In my ideal world, both the Democrats and GOP come together to really tackle the issues that led to Sandy Hook...whatever they are.

Is the grief of giving up a gun is the same as the grief of giving up a child? Not even comparable.

So don't cry to me about losing your guns, if that happens.

That's all I have to say about it.
    Last edited by W. Rabbit; 1/16/2013 9:50pm at .

Posted On:
    1/16/2013 9:53pm

supporting member

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by W. Rabbit View Post
    It's a shame how quickly the conversation turned from dead babes to "the government wants your guns!". Both sides of the aisle aught to be ashamed for their rhetoric.

At least the President is taking action, like a president should. He's not stupid, and knows full well the resistance he'll meet. Obama welcomes resistance. The GOP stance is, as usual inaction, and moderates will note it for 2016.

In my ideal world, both the Democrats and GOP come together to really tackle the issues that led to Sandy Hook...whatever they are.

Is the grief of giving up a gun is the same as the grief of giving up a child? Not even comparable.

So don't cry to me about losing your guns. That's all I have to say about it.

How dare we continue to live our lives!

Transmaniacon MC

Posted On:
    1/17/2013 10:42am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    (dup)
    Last edited by submessenger; 1/17/2013 10:48am at .

Transmaniacon MC

Posted On:
    1/17/2013 10:47am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by slamdunc View Post
    How well did we know the Libyans, or the Iranians, the Contras, or the mujahideen? We armed them all, expecting they would use the arms to mass effect.

Fear and bullets.

Posted On:
    1/17/2013 2:06pm

staff
     Style: MMA

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Devil,

The flip side of incrementalism is exaggerated rigidity. A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds (Thanks, Emerson!)

You need to not be a criminal to own a gun. I like that rule. Having the rule is only step one. Enforcing the rule is step two. Making the seller of a firearm responsible for confirming that the buyer is legal is easy, logical, and does not infringe upon a single right (CT has a free call-in system where you call an 800 number, run the check, get a "yea" or "nay" and a confirmation number). The seller can still choose to sell the weapon, even if the buyer fails the check, the seller just has to acknowledge that he has committed a crime.

It gives the power and the responsibility back to the people. I can accept that.
    And lo, Kano looked down upon the field and saw the multitudes. Amongst them were the disciples of Uesheba who were greatly vexed at his sayings. And Kano spake: "Do not be concerned with the mote in thy neighbor's eye, when verily thou hast a massive stick in thine ass".

--Scrolls of Bujutsu: Chapter 5 vs 10-14.
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast