Quote Originally Posted by Canuckyokushin
    I would so do Buttsecks.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/18/2013 12:30pm

Style: Arnis de Mano

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Personally I cannot think of any situation where what you described would be a good idea.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    1/18/2013 12:37pm

supporting member
     Style: Taiji/Hsingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KendalGuro View Post
    Personally I cannot think of any situation where what you described would be a good idea.
    With props to Permalost

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thelev_fights_kirk.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	19.4 KB 
ID:	14374

Kirk can make it work..
    Last edited by Resonance10; 1/18/2013 12:38pm at . Reason: blah

Posted On:
    3/10/2013 3:33pm

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Honey Badger View Post
    This sounds Balintawak - ish.
    How so? Haven't seen anything this ridiculous in Balintawak. I haven't seen anything that sounds remotely close to some kind of double arm punch, block thing in Balintawak. But who knows what Balintawak guys are doing out there.

Wish the OP would give a little more info, what style? What context was the move done in? A flow drill? A counter?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/12/2013 3:08am

Style: fma

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sounds like some flavor of silat to me - Bukti Negara, DeThouars Serak, or Inosanto style. I don't know about grabbing your own arm below the wrist, but that could be an untrained description of the way they 'reinforce' their punches with the other hand on the forearm. The rest sounds pretty straightforward silat-ish - overhook from outside and sweep, or grab the wrist and push the face.

Sardonic or Sarcastic?

Posted On:
    3/12/2013 1:18pm

supporting member
     Style: Filipino Kun Tao, Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    [QUOTE=jspeedy;2764672]How so? Haven't seen anything this ridiculous in Balintawak. I haven't seen anything that sounds remotely close to some kind of double arm punch, block thing in Balintawak.[QUOTE]

I took this from the APO balintawak site.
    "For a block to catch up with the speed of a strike, it must begin as soon as the strike is initiated. This way, the block will meet the strike about mid-way when the full potential of its power is at 50 percent. For very strong strikes, especially those delivered with heavier cane, an augmented block may be necessary. This is done by using the forearm of the free hand to support behind the block, rather than using the hand. This allows the free hand to grab the opponent cane upon impact"

I've seen some demos where balintawak practicioners have done the reinforcing forearm thing. I'm trying my search fu to find a video.
    I would so do Buttsecks.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/12/2013 2:39pm

Style: Arnis de Mano

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I took this from the APO balintawak site.
    "For a block to catch up with the speed of a strike, it must begin as soon as the strike is initiated. This way, the block will meet the strike about mid-way when the full potential of its power is at 50 percent. For very strong strikes, especially those delivered with heavier cane, an augmented block may be necessary. This is done by using the forearm of the free hand to support behind the block, rather than using the hand. This allows the free hand to grab the opponent cane upon impact"

I've seen some demos where balintawak practicioners have done the reinforcing forearm thing. I'm trying my search fu to find a video.
    This reference is using a stick as in an augmented hard block, I believe the origional post was using empty hand.

Sardonic or Sarcastic?

Posted On:
    3/12/2013 5:18pm

supporting member
     Style: Filipino Kun Tao, Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KendalGuro View Post
    This reference is using a stick as in an augmented hard block, I believe the origional post was using empty hand.
    The original post was regarding empty hand, but one of the basic tenets of Kali is same-same-same. I'm not saying that I'm correct, but if I can't see why a style does a certain thing, I try to see where it may have been derived from another aspect.

I don't much about balintawak. It's just the impression that I got reading the initial post. Hence, I posted that it sounded balintawak-ish.
    I would so do Buttsecks.

Posted On:
    3/13/2013 3:37am

Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I get what you're saying Honey Badger, i could see how such a technique if translated to empty hand sound reminiscent of the OP. It's sort of a block/deflection that immediately clears or parries the ememys arm, I'm still not sure if the block would be reinforced with the other hand without the stick though. I would think if you're translating from stick to empty hand you're not blockinga heavy weapon and thus don't need to reinforce the block. Many styles will perform a stick up block and reinforce with the empty hand,i haven't seen the specific reinforcing technique used in empty hand.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/13/2013 8:34pm

Style: Pekiti-Tirsia Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The original post was regarding empty hand, but one of the basic tenets of Kali is same-same-same. I'm not saying that I'm correct, but if I can't see why a style does a certain thing, I try to see where it may have been derived from another aspect.
    I read the OP as a wedge/Tony Blauer Spear type application, where you are reinforcing the forearm shiver with the left hand on the wrist. Not so different than a roof/umbrella block that uses the left hand to reinforce the wrist, slight difference in angle, but similar enough where I see the translation.

'Course I could be just making up a plausible explanation for something that could be significantly different.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12