Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    1/15/2013 4:28pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

What I learned last night

My instructor showed us a move where, if your opponent is throwing a right cross, you grab your right arm below the wrist, block the incoming punch while simultaneously pushing through the block and hitting your opponent with this two arm punch. Don't know if that makes sense but I wish it had a name so I could look for videos to observe it some more. Any name suggestions for me to look up?

I don't know if the second part of this is all part of one larger move but he then put his right arm under the opponent's right arm and jerked up under his arm pit. At the same time, you put your leg behind the opponent and, after getting him off balance by jerking him up, you pull him back onto the floor over your leg.

The alternative was, after locking your arm under his, slide your right hand down to his right wrist while placing your left hand over his face. You're pulling one direction with the right hand and pushing his face the opposite direction with your left hand, basically immobilizing your opponent.

I'm pretty new to all this so be NICE! :-)

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    1/15/2013 4:49pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What style is this 2 handed punch from? Sounds easily defended, unless you're a Gorn or something.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/15/2013 4:49pm

Style: Pekiti Tirsia Kali

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    These moves neglect the opponent's left hand. What if he uses that to throw a punch? You're occupying both your hands and almost all your attention on his one arm.

Posted On:
    1/15/2013 5:04pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Like I said, I'm a newb but, if I get the initial punch through, I think the opponent will be pretty much off balance. If I get the arm locked, then I think I'd have control of the opponents body.

Still, I agree with doc 8404 in that I often think that this stuff takes too long or is too complicated.... but I'm new at it. When the opening is there, I'm going to simply try to knock the s**t out of the opponent. Why would I be locking his arm to control his body? If I'm that far into his defenses, I'm going to start going for vital targets.

Maybe it's a legal thing. The instructor does talk about that aspect a lot. In our scenario, there were no weapons involved.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    1/15/2013 5:27pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by BradMM View Post
    Still, I agree with doc 8404 in that I often think that this stuff takes too long or is too complicated.... but I'm new at it.
    New at what?

When the opening is there, I'm going to simply try to knock the s**t out of the opponent. Why would I be locking his arm to control his body? If I'm that far into his defenses, I'm going to start going for vital targets.
    "Why would I do this when I could just do this instead?!?" is a pitfall for beginners. You can miss quite a bit when you're busy telling yourself what you should do instead.

There are plenty of times when you'd rather control someone than "going for vital targets". Most times, even.

I remember my old sifu went to a UFC fight years ago, and while the two fighters were grappling on the ground, the guy next to my sifu was shouting "Just punch him in the face!". This is a fallacy that most untrained people make- they think you could simply punch a face to magically stop grappling. If you took this "I'd just punch him in the face!" attitude to a jiu jitsu dojo, they might teach you a lesson you won't soon forget about that. When I hear a beginner saying how they could totally streamline what they're learning, this is what I think of.

Its also kind of disrespectful to your teacher to have this sort of attitude, since what you're implying with it is that in all their years of experience they couldn't think of what you could in a few days or weeks or whatever. Of course, you may be right, in which case you should probably train with someone else.
    Last edited by Permalost; 1/15/2013 5:32pm at .

Posted On:
    1/15/2013 9:32pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Permalost,

As I said, I am new. I did not say my comments here to my instructor because I fully realize that there is much I still have no clue about. However, from my limited perspective, it does appear at times that there would be more expedient alternatives. Nevertheless, I return to learn more and I came here to learn more. If I felt that I knew it all already, I would do neither.

Posted On:
    1/16/2013 4:29am

Style: Aikido / FMA / Krotty

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Could you explain the first part with the block and punch again please?

I'm not getting how you can block a right cross by holding your right arm with your left, and make that into some kind of simultaneous punch.

When life gives you lemons... BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!

"what's the best thing about aikido then?"
    "To be defeated by your enemies, to be driven by them from the field of battle, and to hear the lamentations of your women." ermghoti

Posted On:
    1/16/2013 11:39am

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I imagined something like a defense against a stick, where you out stretch your arms to create a sharp triangle and deflect the blow.. And if you push forward in a counter strike fashion, you can theoretically deflect upward or mute the punch .
    Though it seems like a very high-risk maneuver. If his cross is an overhand he will land it horribly in your face while you push forward.
    OP what is your stile?

Posted On:
    1/16/2013 1:32pm

Join us... or die
     Style: stick,Taiji, mountainbike

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    What style is this 2 handed punch from?
    Quote Originally Posted by Permalost View Post
    New at what?

Quote Originally Posted by BradMM View Post
    Like I said, I'm a newb
    Quote Originally Posted by erezb View Post
    OP what is your stile?
    For the love of God! If you tell us what style you are training in, it would be easier to figure out what you are doing.
    Combatives training log.

Gezere: paraphrase from Bas Rutten, Never escalate the level of violence in fight you are losing. :D

Drum thread

Pavel Tsatsouline: kettlebell workouts give you “cardio without the dishonour of aerobics”.

Posted On:
    1/16/2013 5:54pm

Style: Aikido / FMA / Krotty

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Based on the apparent need for stealth, secrecy and talking in code... I'm guessing Ninjitsu

When life gives you lemons... BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!

"what's the best thing about aikido then?"
    "To be defeated by your enemies, to be driven by them from the field of battle, and to hear the lamentations of your women." ermghoti
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast