supporting member
     Style: Hung Fist, BJJ, Qi Gong

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sri Hanuman View Post
    Your Koan sucks.
    And you just raped like, all of CMA.
    Just the 95%.

Quote Originally Posted by Ignorami View Post
    Speaking as someone who practices AIkido, and loves it...

It's practioner's attitudes.
    This.

The "my art is PEACEFUL so it nullifies all those nasty, aggressive warrior arts" is really a bunch of New Age hippie nonsense sullying what was probably once a more alive, effective art.

That's as bad as the "my art is HIGHLY COMPLEX so it nullifies all those nasty, aggressive, simple fighting arts" people.

"Peaceful" and "highly complex" do not make for effective martial arts, imho.

Administrator

Posted On:
    1/16/2013 1:36pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've had Aikido Ka lecture me on how to avoid conflict and they're perplexed when I told them they suck at it.

Watch and Shoot !

Posted On:
    1/16/2013 1:40pm

staff

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    I've had Aikido Ka lecture me on how to avoid conflict and they're perplexed when I told them they suck at it.
    I'd genuinely pay money to see that first hand. Seriously
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

~Ella Wheeler

...has all your Jing.

Posted On:
    1/16/2013 6:37pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, baby! Yeah!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    Is there a story here...?

If so, would mind telling it...?
    "So, yeah, Zen teachers may well insult you, work you to the bone, hit you with sticks, shout verbal abuse at you, and punch the **** out of you.
    And when the ****'s been punched out of you, you might just find that you're far better-off without it." - Vieux Normand

"So in short, BJJ wins again. BJJ, and chainmail." - TheMightyMcClaw

"On bullshido, your opinions are not sacred, neither are your feelings." - Scrapper

"You entered the lions' den. Don't bitch if you get eaten." - danniboi07

"Needless to say, it's much easier to clear a bunch of drunk kids out of your house when you're yelling GTFO and carrying a samurai sword." - DerAuslander

"Eventually, I realized it doesn't matter what art you train, what matters is the method in which you train. Training in an alive manner, under skilled and qualified instruction, is the single most important aspect of gaining martial skill. All else is window dressing." - JNP : Saying it how it is!

Posted On:
    1/16/2013 6:44pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FMA, Ego Warrior

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pomplemousse View Post
    Alright, I'm not trying to set up a kumbaya session for all of the Aikidokas or anything, but I really honestly want to know why everyone hates Aikido. I just started Aikido, so I'm pretty much to be counted as clueless, but seriously, what is the reasoning behind all of this talk of "Aikido sucks" or "Aikido isn't applicable" or even "Aikido is for fat lazy buns who see it and automatically gravitate toward it because they think they can do it!". I'll be honest with you. I probably, well, definitely, would have done Judo if it was offered in my area, but I came around to really appreciate the idea of Aikido.
    So what's all this talk of negativity when it comes to the "lame cousin" in the martial arts family? Why, in your experience, do you think Aikido sucks?
    I do not hate Aikido.

Come on, Aikido is awesome! Steven Segal? Especially 1980's-1990's Steven Segal? Those movies rocked!

What I do hate though is particular Aikidoka. Well, not them per say, but their attitude.

Specifically the "hollier than thou" attitude. This irritation is exacerbated by the fact that they refuse to back up their condecending **** talk with actions and instead simply crank the arrogance up a notch.

The truth is most of the ones I've met would be ill served in a real, agressive altercation. The ones I've met who could fight had only gotten to that level after a decade or more of study. This is plainly innefective teaching. If you're saftey is on the line right now, you need to learn how to defend yourself right now. Not in ten years. NOW!

But I don't "hate" Aikido as long as the person talking to me about it is not doing so through their nose.

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    1/16/2013 7:06pm

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Machette View Post
    I do not hate Aikido.

Come on, Aikido is awesome! Steven Segal? Especially 1980's-1990's Steven Segal? Those movies rocked!

What I do hate though is particular Aikidoka. Well, not them per say, but their attitude.

Specifically the "hollier than thou" attitude. This irritation is exacerbated by the fact that they refuse to back up their condecending **** talk with actions and instead simply crank the arrogance up a notch.
    How can you like Steven Seagal but hate holier than thou non-fighters who tell everyone they're the best without ever competing?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/16/2013 11:17pm

Style: Judo noob, injured guy.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't train Aikido, because I train martial arts to learn to fight and compete, and generally speaking Aikido does neither of those things (lack of alive, pressure tested training and the silly "too deadly for competition" idea). If you like the mental exercise of it or whatever, more power too you.

The problem arises when people think that learning a choreographed fight means they know how to fight. I know I learned the fallacy of that assumption when I brought by sweet Tae Kwon Do skillz to a kickboxing gym.

Kata and compliant drills may have a place in martial arts (even that is questionable) but ignoring the fighting part of fighting means you cannot fight.

Posted On:
    1/17/2013 12:44am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

Hell yeah! Hell no!
Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst 1234 567814 ... LastLast