Page 3 of 28 First 123456713 ... Last
  1. #21

    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Gold Coast, Australia
    Posts
    91
    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Supreme View Post
    I'm always fucking polite. Kiss my ass.
    Yeah, fair enough. But you're talking to an aikido guy. In aikido-talk, polite means write half a page discussing your feelings when a simple "**** you" phrase will do. Hell, look at the length of my posts.

  2. #22
    jnp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    8,344
    6
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here on Bullshido, we believe in "Alive" or resistant training as well as drilling techniques. We are not in favor of any martial art that features no alive training on a regular basis. Furthermore, we especially don't like MA's that lack aliveness and are full of pretentious, know-it-all students who act smugly superior when discussing their art.

    Most of all though, it's the lack of non-compliant sparring. We do not think you will be adequately prepared for the chaos of a real fight, unless you have quite a bit of experience with the chaos of unscripted sparring.
    Shut the hell up and train.

  3. #23

    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    115
    1
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Personaly I think akido is a fabulous MA. The problem is the way it is tought and the amount of smoke one needs to blow up your ass to convivce you that it would work.

  4. #24
    Sri Hanuman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    6,485
    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by judoratt View Post
    Personaly I think akido is a fabulous MA. The problem is the way it is tought and the amount of smoke one needs to blow up your ass to convivce you that it would work.
    ??? Put the bong down brah.
    The smoke can't hurt you no more.

    Now to inject some relevance into the post, back when I was still training Karate, I had a chance to take a few Aikido classes. They were being offered right after the Karate class, so I figured why not.

    While the warmups and the conditioning drills were brutal, the actual partner techniques were questionable at best. There was a point where the instructor performed a grab. The technique to lessen the impact of the grab, was to hop backwards on one foot, via what could only be described as a Kabuki dance.

    Needless to say, I didnt show up to more than 2 classes before deciding it wasn't the best choice for me.

    ***
    One more thing. The instructor would always yell at the students during training for "spitting qi." At one point, he gave a lecture on projecting "qi balls." What shames me greatly, is that this guy was Russian.
    Last edited by Sri Hanuman; 1/15/2013 10:40pm at .
    =================
    Kama Sutra blue belt.

    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    I used to **** guys like you in prison.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock Ape View Post
    Dude I kill people for a fucking living.

    Dipshit

  5. #25
    gregaquaman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Arlie Beach
    Posts
    2,727
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    because for some reason my boss thinks it works. And so when some roided up speed monster is trying to punch my head off. I am expected to shoot for goosenecks.

    And why do I need to somehow catch this arm in the midst of flying punches and elbows?

    Because one punch can kill and we can't have me throwing nasty now super lethal stuff at the poor roid guy.

    So I can't punch because I dont have to. I dont even have to headlock people. Akido is so super awsome you see it will work on anybody.

    So I hate Akido. Sell that **** to someone who does not have to use it.
    Whitsunday Martial Arts Airlie Beach North Queensland.
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/WhitsundayMartialArts

  6. #26
    Rock Ape's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    10,134
    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think this thread is about ..0001% away from being YMAS'd.

    To the original poster:

    Read this: http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=109535
    "To sin by silence when one should protest makes cowards out of men".

    ~Ella Wheeler

  7. #27
    Ignorami's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,540
    5
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Speaking as someone who practices AIkido, and loves it...

    There are all manner of problems with Aikido, but there are all manner of problems with many martial arts that don't get nearly so much **** over it.

    The reason it gets such a bad rap is simple. It is the same reason Chun and RBSD get a bad rap.

    It's practioner's attitudes.


    When life gives you lemons... BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!!

    "what's the best thing about aikido then?"
    "To be defeated by your enemies, to be driven by them from the field of battle, and to hear the lamentations of your women." ermghoti

  8. #28

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    israel
    Posts
    1,332
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sri Hanuman View Post
    One more thing. The instructor would always yell at the students during training for "spitting qi." At one point, he gave a lecture on projecting "qi balls." What shames me greatly, is that this guy was Russian.
    Dude or Bratan....Systema....
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    OP (Original Poster), What is your goal in practicing Aikido?
    If your goal is to become someone that can "handle himself in a street fight" than...BAD, even going to a gym and pumping iron in a strong man fashion, i.e Dead lifets, squats and drills that strengthen the entire body is way better use of your time. Aikido will take years and years for it to become significant in a self defense scenario, and even that is not granted.
    I guess you need to tell us what your goals in training are.
    Aikido can be a great activity for some people. Maybe you are one of them.
    Last edited by erezb; 1/16/2013 8:30am at .

  9. #29
    Sri Hanuman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    6,485
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by erezb View Post
    Dude or Bratan....Systema....
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------
    OP (Original Poster), What is your goal in practicing Aikido?
    If your goal is to become someone that can "handle himself in a street fight" than...BAD, even going to a gym and pumping iron in a strong man fashion, i.e Dead lifets, squats and drills that strengthen the entire body is way better use of your time. Aikido will take years and years for it to become significant in a self defense scenario, and even that is not granted.
    I guess you need to tell us what your goals in training are.
    Aikido can be a great activity for some people. Maybe you are one of them.
    Actually, Systema is how overweight Russian drunks make money off gullible Americans.

    Now all we need is Russian equivalent for Gwailo.
    =================
    Kama Sutra blue belt.

    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas View Post
    I used to **** guys like you in prison.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock Ape View Post
    Dude I kill people for a fucking living.

    Dipshit

  10. #30
    Vorpal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    A Hell of my own making
    Posts
    3,082
    2
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Aikido - Single point of contact throws based off of unrealistic attacks practised in a compliant manner.

    Judo - Multiple point of contact throws based off of realistic attacks practised with full resistance.

    Train Judo.

    Other arts that are trained with resistance include Boxing, Wrestling, San Da, Muay Thai, MMA, BJJ, Sambo, Kyokushin, Rugby

    Warning, in the interest of brevity some gross generalizing was inevitible.

    If you like Aikido, go ahead and do it. Just don't expect it to help you too much in a fight.

Page 3 of 28 First 123456713 ... Last

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO