Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/30/2013 7:21am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Machette View Post
    I don't either.

What's the deal? You get to a certain level and everyone below you is brainwashed into doing pratfalls so as not to embarass the guy with the nicest jammie-pants?

People can pay to do whatever they want AFAIC but to try and pass off what amounts to basically "play fighting" as "effective self defense" is kind of shiesty IMHO.

Now, I've tried throwing hadukens IRL and let me tell you, the results were underwhelming at best...
    I have studied a few styles over the years from traditional jiu-jitsu, MT, Kick boxing, Karate, Boxing, BJJ and i recently tried a couple of Aikido classes(I thought I might as well), it was a strange experience as it seemed more about the spiritual aspect than the MA itself. In terms of the actual art itself, i can see how the body movements could be applied but they seemed to roll whenever they were taken down. From my past experience in JJ we threw and did takedowns properly so you got to feel what it was actually like. This might have just been the club i went to but it seemed more of a way of life than anything else. I'm not slating it at all I am just used to more full on training.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/30/2013 7:24am

Style: Bjj / Mexican Judo.

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Machette View Post
    Now, I've tried throwing hadukens IRL and let me tell you, the results were underwhelming at best...

wait I minute... I've seen you before...

Middleweight

Posted On:
    7/30/2013 9:47am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ+Sanda

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlMatt
    A lot of aikidoists seem to be under the impression that aikido can be learned by talking and thinking about it. .
    Aikido can be. Fighting? Not so much.

Also, the world doesn't have complaints about Aikido, it's just us. Aikido will be banking off Seagal's goofy movies for a generation.
    Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.

There's not enough words to describe my existence.

Posted On:
    7/30/2013 10:18am

supporting member
     Style: No Style

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Azatdawn View Post
    In general, I wouldn't say Aikido sucks.

This, however, does:

However, it's possible that I just don't get it.
    It looks like that was some sort of competition and they were being judged or scored somehow?

The ukemi was more interesting than the old guy in the middle directing the action. It usually is, imo.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/30/2013 10:18am

Style: aikido

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ermghoti View Post
    Aikido can be. Fighting? Not so much.
    Aikido, like any physical skill, can only be learned with practice. No amount of discussion or contemplation will teach your body to move a certain way. Even if you think aikido is a frivolous dance, no one ever learned to dance by talking about dancing.

Also, the world doesn't have complaints about Aikido, it's just us. Aikido will be banking off Seagal's goofy movies for a generation.
    The world, at least the martial arts world, does have complaints about aikido. Aikido is on the decline, and that is in part due to a lack of strenuous, challenging training. My first year in aikido, I dropped 30 pounds. It's getting very hard, though, to find an aikido club that offers that kind of workout.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/30/2013 10:53am

Style: Jujitsu Aikido Bodycombat

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From the videos it would appear Aikido is the art of avoiding being accidentally hit by someone who runs at you and falls over.

I studied Aikido for about a year after getting my black belt in Jujitsu and would say it had very limited application. Some of the moves were similar to a couple found in our Jujitsu syllabus and there were some I feel would work if someone was rushing at you to grab you but that's about it. If someone stands still and throws a jab you are screwed.

Middleweight

Posted On:
    7/30/2013 12:47pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ+Sanda

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlMatt View Post
    Aikido, like any physical skill, can only be learned with practice. No amount of discussion or contemplation will teach your body to move a certain way. Even if you think aikido is a frivolous dance, no one ever learned to dance by talking about dancing.

The world, at least the martial arts world, does have complaints about aikido. Aikido is on the decline, and that is in part due to a lack of strenuous, challenging training. My first year in aikido, I dropped 30 pounds. It's getting very hard, though, to find an aikido club that offers that kind of workout.
    Did you just try to bring The Serious to YMAS?
    Quote Originally Posted by strikistanian View Post
    DROP SEIONAGI ************! Except I don't know Judo, so it doesn't work, and he takes my back.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/30/2013 2:06pm

supporting member
     Style: Staying Alive

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by OwlMatt View Post
    In fact one thing I have learned from Aikido is how to dance - since I took it up my dancefloor performance has improved exponentially - also, I have found that my heightened Zanshin helps greatly in avoiding and dodging people's flailing arms and legs - those people who never did Aikido of course! Thinking about it, some day I have to come up with some form of Aikidance :)

Of course I'm not talking about THIS stuff:

Last edited by Zargor; 7/30/2013 2:26pm at .

My dog is cuter and smarter than yours.

Posted On:
    7/30/2013 2:11pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Kodokan Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Zargor View Post
    In fact one thing I have learned from Aikido is how to dance - since I took it up my dancefloor performance has improved exponentially - also, I have found that my heightened Zanshin helps greatly in avoiding and dodging people's flailing arms and legs - those people who never did Aikido of course! Thinking about it, I will have some day to come up with some form of Aikidance :)

Of course I'm not talking about THIS stuff:

Wow, that was cool! I wish I could move like that.
    Falling for Judo since 1980

Registered Member

Posted On:
    7/30/2013 2:31pm

Style: aikido

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ermghoti View Post
    Did you just try to bring The Serious to YMAS?
    Sorry, I forgot where I was. It won't happen again.

My TMA-to-YMAS dictionary says my last post translates to: "**** you and your misinformed ****, you noob cretin."
Page 20 of 28 FirstFirst ... 101617181920 21222324 ... LastLast